Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my GT to the shop today for the 7500 or 6000 mile service (based on who's ever number you are using). I did all the easy stuff myself. I wanted the shop to do only valve clearances and check belt tension.

Well I had to wait 3 weeks to even get the appointment. This morning he tells me it won't be done for 2 days which is fine, but it isn't really. I mean why the hell did you make an appointment on the 18th if you're not gonna do the work till the 20th? I guess no big deal really, it's supposed to rain here for the next couple days anyway.

So he tells me it's gonna be 6hrs labor for valves and belt tension check only. Does that sound like a fair number?

Not to mention I'm having some issues with my fuel light and possibly my fuel injection entirely. He all but said he's not even going to look at that. I would need to make another appointment. Are all Ducati Dealers like this?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well...a guy named Ross used to work there

he was an alright enough guy. ...gone now tho. ...of course we are probably not talking about the same location. ...cleveland, columbus, I think there's a few around.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Six hours sounds about three too high.

My local (excellent) dealer (Moto Meccanica in Santa Rosa, CA) bills me for three hours to check valves and change the belts on my '96 900ss/sp. I take it to the shop with no bodywork and belt covers removed, but on your GT the bodywork isn't, obviously, an issue.

I drop it off in the morning and pick it up that afternoon, no two day wait.

I wonder if they're simply quoting the time from a Ducati standard and using this as a way to significantly increase their profit margin by a factor of two.

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
That dealer sucks, they are abusing you. Six hours? It would take me less than that, and I am crap.

My advice: smile, pay, ride away and don't come back.

If you are even quasi mechanically inclined you can learn to do belt changes and valve adjustments yourself, and an entire shim kit and electronic vernier calipers will cost you less than what you are going to pay these guys just this one time. Substantially less.

So, if it really irks you, free yourself and do the work yourself. Unfortunately, if you are a normal sort of shade tree mechanic you will still need someone to balance your throttle bodies and do other fuel system stuff now and again. But that is a 12,000 mile (or more) interval kind of thing, so maybe you wouldn't mind riding the distance to the nearest non-assh**e Duc shop for that work when you need it.

But if you can't be bothered with all that, then just pay and try not to let it bother you. So they hose you for an extra few hundred bucks every 6000 miles. So what? Small potatoes in the grand scheme of owning and operating a new motorcycle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts