Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Never Grow Up
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gawd I hate to ask this.... because I have a feeling the answer is staring me in the face..... but I'm going to hide behind the 'no such thing as a stupid question' excuse and ask away.

Where the bleeping bleep can I find the bleeping torque numbers for the various bolts on my bike?
I've scoured all 246 pages of the service manual, read the owners manual in English and ITALIAN, and searched this forum six ways from Sunday. I'm ready to start drinking. The hard stuff. ..... wait.....

.....ok, I just poured a home brew, Pink Floyd is playing Comfortably Numb, and I'm settling down a little.

The ol girl is up on the lift with all her clothes on the floor, I just did the belts, charging up a new battery, and while she's nekked I want to touch every bolt and nut I can find just to make sure everything's tight. Like a good pseudo-mechanic should.

I figure there's gotta be a list somewhere. A cheat sheet. Something a guy can look at without scrolling through 246 pages of a service manual (even if it was there).

My decrepit memory thinks I easily found this info somewhere in the dark past but I'm stuck. Any one have a source of info for me?

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
If you have LTs book, look on the reverse cover. Not all inclusive for minor fasteners.

Bob

·
Never Grow Up
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have LTs book, look on the reverse cover. Not all inclusive for minor fasteners.

Bob
which begs another stupid question....

who/what is LT's book?

I have an owners manual hard copy, the service manual download from this forums sticky area, and a search function for this forum.
????

·
Never Grow Up
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
which begs another stupid question....

who/what is LT's book?

I have an owners manual hard copy, the service manual download from this forums sticky area, and a search function for this forum.
????
And I thought everyone with an ST owned a copy

Bob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Doesn't get much better than that link! But, the torque values are in the service manual. Not where you'd expect them, like where you actually need them, they are found at the end of major sections. For example, the engine torque values are found at the end of the engine overhaul section. They are in table form and include the type of grease or lock tight required, which is very important. If a torque value is given along with a grease, the torque value is only correct IF you also use the grease...

·
Never Grow Up
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here you go

Bob
Thank you Bob.
Funny, I've been running around this site for 2 years now and I don't recall ever seeing reference to LT's manual. But it looks quite worthy. I'll look for it online and pick one up.

I appreciate the help brother!

·
Never Grow Up
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doesn't get much better than that link! But, the torque values are in the service manual. Not where you'd expect them, like where you actually need them, they are found at the end of major sections. For example, the engine torque values are found at the end of the engine overhaul section. They are in table form and include the type of grease or lock tight required, which is very important. If a torque value is given along with a grease, the torque value is only correct IF you also use the grease...
Remember that time you watched your dad stomp all over the house yelling 'where are my glasses!" and the whole time they were sitting on his head. Yeh, that's me.

Thanks SS904. I see it now. How the hell I went through the service manual - supposedly every page - and missed it, I don't know.

I really like the callout for loctite or grease on the bolts! I was wondering about that as well.

Thank you.

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
387 Posts
looking at this thread .... I compared LT's torque listings and my manual ..... several are quite a bit different .... wonder which is the best to use ...?
Craig

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Could it be a difference between the 4valve engine (lt) and 3 valve (your bike).

Just a swag

Bob

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
387 Posts
I was comparing apples to apples and was surprised at different values .... I'll bring books in later and post up some examples ... response should be interesting ...
Craig

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
387 Posts
Steering stem nut 20 NM ... LT
30 NM ... Manual
Rotor / disc bolt 25 NM .... LT
30 NM .... Manual
Rear wheel nut 70 NM ... LT
83 NM ... Manual

Not very big differences but they are , also manual specs grease on some and locktite on some .... those were the ones I noticed maybe more .... when in doubt I follow the book from Italy .... that being said , I would be lost without LT's book , so ....
Craig

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I was only thinking last night after buying a new torque wrench, that I should list the common torque figures and laminate the page for the garage wall!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts