Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to order a D.I.D. 525 ZVM2. Just found out they come in many different lengths. If they didn't have different prices for them I would just get the bigger of them and cut down all but since they do, any idea how many links I would need for the original 15/42 set up? 108?

Thank you

·
Registered
150 Posts
About to order a D.I.D. 525 ZVM2. Just found out they come in many different lengths. If they didn't have different prices for them I would just get the bigger of them and cut down all but since they do, any idea how many links I would need for the original 15/42 set up? 108?

Thank you
for the 15/42 you need 102 links.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
FWIW, the ST2, ST4, ST4S, ST3 and ST3S are all 102 links, 525 chain.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
If you're going to replace the chain, how do the sprockets look? If they are worn, there's no sense in putting a new chain on.

If you decide to change the sprockets, maybe reducing the gearing to a 15/44 or 15/45 combo will make lower speed riding easier.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you decide to change the sprockets, maybe reducing the gearing to a 15/44 or 15/45 combo will make lower speed riding easier.
I was going to do the standard 15/42 with new sprockets as well. Seemed most usually change gearing on the ST4's but noticed you have an ST3 as well, have you changed the gearing and if so what was it and how many links?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I lowered the gearing by changing the front sprocket from 15 to 14T. It only has about 4,000 miles on it so I kept the OEM 42T rear sprocket and chain.

It'll raise the engine speed about 250-300 rpms at 70 mph, but makes slow speed (stuck in traffic) and starting with a passenger much easier. It also reduced the tendency to lug the engine.

You'll have to remove the shift linkage and clutch slave from the engine mount (the hydraulic line stays attached) to get the 15T sprocket off and you'll need an impact wrench to get the sprocket nut off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts