Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got on this site, I saw some pics of the rear brake lever getting in the way, then I experienced it too followed by the footrest (without those stoopid sliders, I call em stoopid coz already we are having ground clerance issues and to add them is, well, stoopid :p )

Then after a track day, I realized even if get raised rearsets i'm still doomed for clearance, coz my pipes (stock) had scraped too. Anyone else? Remedy?

I weigh only 150lbs so am wondering how the heavier guys go around it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I lost about a quarter to half of my brake pedal at my last trackday. I have the pegs from shift-tech which give a bit more clearance and they never touched down, although my toes were hitting alot.

Don't know what to tell you about the pipe, I'm about 15-20 pounds heavier than you and have the skid plate on my bike and that never touched.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Kinda sound like you need to adjust your low-speed compression, if that's even possible on your bike.

If not, set your sag (again, 'cuz you should have already done that) and you could try dialing a very little more high-speed compression into it.

Other than that, maybe rear ride height??

Dave

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MarksFriggin - That was hillarious. Great way to start my Sunday mornin :D

Duc 102 - Skid plate for the pipes? Is it located under the pegs area? Got pics please?

DecreasingDave - Static sag set as best as possible using stock spring rates. Ride height? You tryin to politely say Rider height? Hee hee. I hear ya buddy :D

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
maybe you just ride way faster than me, but I didn't have any clearance problems during my last track day with the hyper. I would suggest adjusting your riding position. Do you ride roadrace or supermoto style? I had a four inch beard hanging off of my knee sliders and never touched anything more than the slider on my boot (and that was because my body position was jacked in one corner). I weigh 200-210 lbs. and ride a standard hyper. I do ride in the advanced group, all though I admit I am far from the fastest guy in the group.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I have scraped the brake pedal, side stand and pegs on the track as well as my Zard headers, only minimal scraping but enough to hear and feel it.

That is probably as hard or fast as I will go and being on Scorpion Sync tractor tyres it was sliding around a bit which was good fun.

HyperRetard, have you adjusted your ride height and dropped your forks?, I have my forks level with the triples and the ride height adjusted, I did however chop 30 mm out of my seat too being a bit shorter so this combo works for me.

I am 165lbs

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did my first track day on the Hyper last weekend, all was going well, and I did notice my foot hitting the ground, untill.....:eek:

I did loose all of the rear brake pedal, but that is due to my foot hitting the ground, pulling it off the peg, to avoid a low side, i let off the throttle and decided to head towards the grass, as I just passed a few people. When I got to the grass, the front tire dug in and the bike went over, very softly, but on the way down the brake lever snapped off, also have a few scrapes on the fairing and nose! (see wanted add)

This was the first time with this style riding on the track, and I didnt feel comfortable for the first half day, but I know it was all in my head. I have an 848, and always drove sportbikes, so it was different for sure.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hyper848 - You gave specific details about your bike's injury but not your own. Are you ok? Heh heh. Hopefully nothing much than getting winded :cool:

ACESANUGAL - Wicked buddy!! (What are wwodcrafts?)

MONSTAMAN - Will try an experiment. Thanks

Freezer - I think on this bike my riding position is inbetween the 2. Can't make up my mind so I go with what's comfortable :D

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
When I first got on this site, I saw some pics of the rear brake lever getting in the way, then I experienced it too followed by the footrest (without those stoopid sliders, I call em stoopid coz already we are having ground clerance issues and to add them is, well, stoopid :p )

Then after a track day, I realized even if get raised rearsets i'm still doomed for clearance, coz my pipes (stock) had scraped too. Anyone else? Remedy?

I weigh only 150lbs so am wondering how the heavier guys go around it.
I have almost 100lbs on you, and do track days, I have scraped "EVERYTHING!" :eek: but if you set-up the bike properly it does get better, hopefully you have an "S" with the adjustable rod, that way you can raise the rear end to MAX, and drop the fork tubes in the clamps to raise the front, that way you'll have maximum ground clearance, then set you sag to your weight, I have modified my rear brake pedal & shifter so that they are high as possible, and the "stoopid" sliders are just to save the pegs, and help you feel the ground. I also have changed my riding style a bit, as I found that you do not have to lean to the max to make a corner, a trick that instructor Doug Polen taught us. Hope this helps, Alex

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bullet3z - Yikes!!! You weren't kiddin about them not being cheap. After converting, it's the same amount as my monthly house mortgage!!! :eek:
ha ha ha

Alex - Yes i have the ass, I mean S :p Will try and raise it a notch. I don;t lean out either on the HM on track. Out of 15 turns in Sepang Circuit I only lean out far enuf for my knee sliders to touch on off camber high speed Turn 6

:)

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Get your ass off the bike. Then worry about ride height front and rear. Setting the sag etc.. should be done too.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I did my first track day on the Hyper last weekend, all was going well, and I did notice my foot hitting the ground, untill.....:eek:

I did loose all of the rear brake pedal, but that is due to my foot hitting the ground, pulling it off the peg, to avoid a low side, i let off the throttle and decided to head towards the grass, as I just passed a few people. When I got to the grass, the front tire dug in and the bike went over, very softly, but on the way down the brake lever snapped off, also have a few scrapes on the fairing and nose! (see wanted add)

This was the first time with this style riding on the track, and I didnt feel comfortable for the first half day, but I know it was all in my head. I have an 848, and always drove sportbikes, so it was different for sure.
Before I got the woodcrafts I used to lift my foot off the pegs mid corner to stop my boot from scraping. You can kind of see in this photo

·
Registered
592 Posts
Go infidel... haha..

problem with scraping brake pedals is that they have limited movement in the up direction, you will end up low siding the bike simply because the peg causes you to lift the rear off the ground mid bend (experience!).

back to the original issue, street setup and track setup are totally different things, your 'street' sag values are useless on the track and you will run out of clearance and the ting will be fully bouncy. bikes like 848's and 1098's are setup setup stock more for the track which is why you loose your fillings on the street.

low speed compression probably won't help too much, make sure your rebound on the rear is set correctly, ie wound off enough to control the rear end, you'll go into a corner fine but if the rear can't respond back out you'll just end up packing the rear down and run out of clearance. stock this thing has way too much rebound! If you bounce the back and it takes more than half a second to respond its too much, you need the back to return as quick as possible for traction, just wind it all the way off and bounce it to see the difference, make sure you don't bounce back (at top of stroke it goes up and down) keep adding rebound in 1/4 turns until it stops bouncing at the top of stroke. at 150lbs i doubt you'll have the weight to bounce the back end enough, get a fatty to help you out so you can watch it.

I really don't see why people put up with the grinding bits when all they need to do is go in the pits and adjust the suspension accordingly, you'll then ride faster next time and then you'll need to come in again and set it up again. its not 1 setting is correct! 1 adjustment the right way will make you ride faster, that means you brake harder and will need to account for that, that means more spring and subsequently different rebound and compression settings, then you ride faster still and you hit the same wall.

seems to me people are just lazy, or fat, or lazy and fat.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I think if you ride the thing motard style, you are going to be grinding in stock form. Roadrace style is a different story. In order to hit a knee, you need to be hanging off of the thing pretty well. It feels very strange hanging off of the bike with this style of handlebars. They feel like ape hangers on the track to me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts