Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having recently gone through an exhaust purchase I was disappointed to discover that finding real dB numbers was impossible for most systems(kudos to Staintune for going against the grain here, kind of). Yet, I also see a lot of people asking "How loud is XXX brand of exhaust?" so there is some need for this information. This is especially true for a lot of us that do track days. Many tracks are getting very strict about noise levels. Are you sure your exhaust will not get you black flagged?

To try to help out with this situation, I'm going to start a small database for as many exhaust brands as possible with real dB measurements. I'll make it as scientific as possible without getting too anal about the whole thing.

If you've got a sound level meter I'm looking for contributions to the project. All measurements will be taking according to SAEJ1287 for the "Measurement of Exhaust Sound Levels of Stationary Motorcycles:

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1140/files/j1287_199807.pdf

I'd like maximum numbers for idle, 1/2 of red line, and the following info:

1. Exhaust brand and specifics (i.e. Arrow 50/50)
2. Bike (model and engine size).
3. EPROM used
4. Air filter used
5. Any motor mods
6. Model of sound meter used (Don't worry about the required calibration. Use a foam wind guard if you've got one. If you don't have one, make sure the wind is mostly calm). The RadioShack model is fine for this, despite not being ANSI certified.

Please PM your results directly to me.

Thanks for the help!

Tony

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
Excellent initiative, Tony.
Maybe an idea to add sound-clips as well? People are not just interested in looks, performance-gains -if any- and the loudness, but also the tone, the quality of the sound. Some pipes simply sound better (very subjective).
RonB

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I've never verified it but I have a 50mm Termignoni Half system (45mm headers) and previously I had 45mm Termignoni cans, both sets of cans are Carbon Fibre and on the boxes of both was written "102db" although I would say the 50mm are louder than the 45mm so I'm not sure if those figures are correct.

On the sound side, I think they sound great without being offensively loud. :D

·
Registered
276 Posts
I wish I had a sound meter. I think my exhaust is too loud actually...maybe I'm getting old or something. I have a Termignoni 45/50 half system on my modified 996 (pistons, sps cams, rods, crank, etc...), and it's honestly sounds like a race Ducati. On one hand it's very viceral and sexy, but it's very loud, and I sometimes worry about attracting too much attention. I'm very careful about revs when I'm in a residential zone and it's an issue becaue I like to let my bike warm up a bit before I roll away, but I don't want to disturb the neighbors (very nice neighborhood/cul-de-sac and we're all friendly and know each other).

·
Registered
80 Posts
i hear you are supposed to re-pack an aftermarket exhaust (if it uses packing material) once a year. this keeps it at the volume level it was designed to be

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Me 900FE with Feracci stainless pipes registered 106db at WFO. I haven't sound-level-metered the 853 yet. It's got CF Feracci pipes, but to my ears it's a lot quieter than the FE.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought my bike used its a 97 916 and the guy put on some D&D slip-ons. I know, they are cheesy pipes, but surprisingly they sound pretty good on her, but they are F*cking loud! Im in the military so I dont really have the scratch to get some quality pipes on there.

·
Registered
304 Posts
ijn8uh:

i've used DD pipes on other bikes before. never had a problem with the quality, just that they're are retarded loud on an inline 4. i lost some hearing in my right ear from my zx9 with DD's on it.

i have seen some good deals on carbon dd pipes for the duc. how is the fit finish on those DD pipes? any cracking, pealing ,etc? just how loud are they? have you been around other modded ducs with your pipes as a comparison?

is the sound similar to all the other modded exhaust ducs?

·
Registered
309 Posts
deputydog95 said:
ijn8uh:

i've used DD pipes on other bikes before. never had a problem with the quality, just that they're are retarded loud on an inline 4. i lost some hearing in my right ear from my zx9 with DD's on it.

i have seen some good deals on carbon dd pipes for the duc. how is the fit finish on those DD pipes? any cracking, pealing ,etc? just how loud are they? have you been around other modded ducs with your pipes as a comparison?

Good news 95.
I have D&D's on my 855 and Remus Ti slip-ons on my 996 :D
The D&D's actually sound pretty good.
The pipes they come with are a bit cheezy but the cans are decent.

As far as this thread goes, I will try to find my dbmeter and post up the results ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
SouthsideDuc said:
Having recently gone through an exhaust purchase I was disappointed to discover that finding real dB numbers was impossible for most systems(kudos to Staintune for going against the grain here, kind of). Yet, I also see a lot of people asking "How loud is XXX brand of exhaust?" so there is some need for this information. This is especially true for a lot of us that do track days. Many tracks are getting very strict about noise levels. Are you sure your exhaust will not get you black flagged?

To try to help out with this situation, I'm going to start a small database for as many exhaust brands as possible with real dB measurements. I'll make it as scientific as possible without getting too anal about the whole thing.

If you've got a sound level meter I'm looking for contributions to the project. All measurements will be taking according to SAEJ1287 for the "Measurement of Exhaust Sound Levels of Stationary Motorcycles:

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1140/files/j1287_199807.pdf

I'd like maximum numbers for idle, 1/2 of red line, and the following info:

1. Exhaust brand and specifics (i.e. Arrow 50/50)
2. Bike (model and engine size).
3. EPROM used
4. Air filter used
5. Any motor mods
6. Model of sound meter used (Don't worry about the required calibration. Use a foam wind guard if you've got one. If you don't have one, make sure the wind is mostly calm). The RadioShack model is fine for this, despite not being ANSI certified.

Please PM your results directly to me.

Thanks for the help!

Tony
'06 ST3s/abs
Remus Titanium
103db

Attachments

G

·
I have carbon Giannelli's (half system) on my 996 which also make it sound like a race bike. I actually set off 3 or 4 car alarms on 1 street (not sure exactly how many) while passing by at about 30 mph. I believe the acoustics between buildings contributed to triggering the alarms because that never happened to me prior to that day.

I must admit I had a big smile on my face as I left the neighborhood!

·
Registered
45 Posts
deputydog95 said:
ijn8uh:

As far as fit and finish, they fit just fine, but the finish is not so good I think its beacause the previous owner didnt polish them very often, I should throw some on and see what happens. They just have what looks like water spots and they wont come off under normal washing. no cracking or peeling. I live in a place where people dont even know what a ducati is so I dont have any friends that ride a duc and I have no one to compare it too. It is pretty freakin loud though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.