Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new 848 that I probably won't ride for a few more weeks until the weather warms up more. It's fully charged right now. Can it go 20 days or so without losing a charge?

·
Registered
80 Posts
When I had my 916 the battery would last about 2- weeks then it would groan and barely start the motor... now my 999s lasts for months... last year I went back to England for 10 weeks..on return I turned the key and the girl kicked straight into life.... so I would imagine an 848 would be as good if not better..

·
Registered
387 Posts
Buy a motorcycle trickle charger! I shopped around on the internet and at AutoZone, OReilleys, etc. etc. and WalMart had the best prices. I paid $21 and got the second level 6 or 12 volt Schumacher trickle charger. It allows me to see when its charging and when it is done, and also had a permanent set of wires that you just attach to the terminals that lead to a quick release plugin that tucks behind some plastic...I never have to remove the seat at all, just plug it in.

For me, at least, having my bikes on trickle chargers makes such a difference in starting effort, especially when cold. With the trickle charger, my bikes always roar to life.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Agree fully with Plato, I use a trickle charger especially designed for motorcycles called an "optimate", not sure if they are sold in the USA, however on my Ducati I have a permanent connector attached to the battery and coming out under the seat so if I need to attach the charger I lift the seat at the back and connect.

Other things make a difference too, I have an alarm on my Duke which left to its own devices can run the battery flat in around 6-8 weeks if left off the charger.

Must say how hard it is to bump start a 996 when it does have a flat battery!!! I was more lifeless than the battery!!

·
9,757 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
The answer is...it depends. With no parasitic draw, a fully charged Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) battery in tip top condition, with clean terminals and stored at ~68F should maintain 80% of it's charge after six months. A standard lead/acid flooded cell battery will drop to 50% capacity.

In reality, self discharge rates are usually higher than this theoretical ideal. There is usually some form of draw (clock, alarm system) and temperatures fluctuate. Higher temperatures result in increased capacity but shorter battery life. Lower temperature mean capacity decreases but plate life increases. Extreme low temperatures can reduce capacity to a point where starting is a problem. Additionally, a discharged battery may freeze - when the specific gravity is below 1.14 or so, freezing is a real possibility in low temperatures.

For peace of mind and long battery life, I use a Deltran Battery Tender whenever my bike is going sit unused for more than a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Every vehicle I own with the exception of my Daily driver has a $30 Battery Tender Jr. on it (anything with a battery)
This includes my collector cars, race bikes and street bikes.

Please go out and buy a tender jr. It will extend the life of your battery by years if the bike is going to sit.

I still haven't figured out the $10k Ducati owner that does not own a $30 tender :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Agree fully with Plato, I use a trickle charger especially designed for motorcycles called an "optimate", not sure if they are sold in the USA, however on my Ducati I have a permanent connector attached to the battery and coming out under the seat so if I need to attach the charger I lift the seat at the back and connect.

Other things make a difference too, I have an alarm on my Duke which left to its own devices can run the battery flat in around 6-8 weeks if left off the charger.

Must say how hard it is to bump start a 996 when it does have a flat battery!!! I was more lifeless than the battery!!
Do you have pics of the permanent connector? Also where did you buy the connector? Please advise.

Thanks!

·
Registered
357 Posts
The connector comes with the battery tender. It has ring connectors on it that attatch to the positive and negative terminals of the battery. The connector then can easily be accessed to plug into the tender. Instead of using the alligator clips which require the removal of something.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts