Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

im into my second week of owning my '07 biposto, and was wondering how long is too long to hold the starter button before the engine turns over. coming from a M695 that had a fast idle leaver, i was used to starting it with that on, if needed i would give it a little gas to help it along. with this bike and the ds motor, i read that you should not twist the throttle while starting up the bike. supposedly all that gets taken care of electronically. yesterday when starting the bike i held the starter button for over 5 seconds while the bike tried to start (making that electronic whining sound) before it finally started purring. does this sound right? should i not twist the throttle to helpt it start?

thanks,
tt.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Push and release, do not hold it it will automatically disengage when the motor starts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Push and release, do not hold it it will automatically disengage when the motor starts
thanks bill, and how long is too long for the engine to start after quickly releasing the starter? and even if it doesn't start right away, its still not advised to give it some gas?

thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Mine usually starts with no throttle input on first, sometimes second cycle.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
A couple of points here - you should just press the starter button and let it go, the bike will do the rest. If it takes a while for the engine to spin, then it sounds like it is time for a new battery.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
There are times that I have to give mine some gas while she is spinning over. I also know that I need to preform some maintenance on her that will correct that problem.
Press and release starter button. She fires up, if not Ill add a little gas after 3 to 4 seconds. Once running smack her on the ass for making me do extra stuff to wake her up.:D
After 4 years of riding her I know when she needs to be fed a little more to wake up after a nights sleep or a long nap during the day.
Women:think:

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
If everything on the bike is correct there is no need to add extra throttle while starting.
How long do you wait from turning the key on until you press the starter button?
aka. I turn the key on and wait until the gauges sweep and the yellow light goes off before I press the starter button.

Another question. Are you having to add throttle even if the bike is warm to hot? If so, something is out of whack.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If everything on the bike is correct there is no need to add extra throttle while starting.
How long do you wait from turning the key on until you press the starter button?
aka. I turn the key on and wait until the gauges sweep and the yellow light goes off before I press the starter button.

Another question. Are you having to add throttle even if the bike is warm to hot? If so, something is out of whack.
i guess i will try waiting for the gauges to sweep, before pressing the starter. Usualy it starts right up, yesterday when it took longer was after sitting in the parking lot all day while i was at work.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Make sure you use a battery tender at night (if you can). Makes em start easier:)

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
365 Posts
After turning the key to 'ON', I let the bike go through its self test and then I push the start button once. She'll crank for a few seconds then disengage after light off.

I think it's one of the coolest features on the bike. Love to show my friends the Duc's 'Autostart' feature. Reminds me of the Autostart function we have on our planes. ;)

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Press and release; the bike will try until it starts. On occasion (such as the first time in the Spring) it will chug quite a few times before it starts, but it's extremely rare that I have to press the button a second time.

My Monster 796, on the other hand, requires that the button be held until the engine fires up. I much prefer the Sport 1000 method.

·
Registered
601 Posts
My new 2012 Dodge Durango has one of those Merc style all-plastic ignition keys. It works just like the Duc... just (turn) it on for a moment and release. The motor will crank until it fires.

My Duc can be a bit cold blooded at times if not run for some time. Standing there listening to the engine crank without any fire seems like an eternity, but is actually only a few seconds.

When my fuel pump separated inside the tank some years ago, I vaguely recall the bike cranking for a fairly long time before automatically 'timing-out.'

/M

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My GT has always varied from firing right up to very occasionally requiring a second stab on the starter button. But since it always starts, I don't worry about this. Generally speaking, it starts quicker in fall-winter-spring. Hot weather sometimes requires more cranks on the first hit of the starter. I'd only look at it as a problem if it consistently took longer than say 5 seconds and frequently required a second try.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
When you engage the starter motor you effectively put a dead short across the battery so the wires from the battery to the starter initially carry around 200 amps. That's a lot.

If you crank it constantly for say a half a minute, and do this several times in a row without letting the motor and wiring cool down, you're going to get overheated wires, even if all of your connections are good. When the wires get hot enough the insulation will start smoking and ignite.

Thats why Owners Manuals recommend that you crank the starter motor for five seconds at a time, with a 10 second wait in between.

If the wire connections are loose or corroded they are an additional source of higher resistance and heat. If a connection has a small resistance of say 1/2 ohm, a typical cranking current of 45 amps generates over 1,000 watts of heat, more than a toaster.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
My GT has always varied from firing right up to very occasionally requiring a second stab on the starter button. But since it always starts, I don't worry about this. Generally speaking, it starts quicker in fall-winter-spring. Hot weather sometimes requires more cranks on the first hit of the starter. I'd only look at it as a problem if it consistently took longer than say 5 seconds and frequently required a second try.
The hi-cap kits from Motolectric (site sponsor) are designed to cure this problem, and do it quite well. Mike, the owner, has a lot of experience with motorcycle electrics for many years and makes. If you're having problems with your starting, definitely recommend contacting him and getting a kit

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The hi-cap kits from Motolectric (site sponsor) are designed to cure this problem, and do it quite well. Mike, the owner, has a lot of experience with motorcycle electrics for many years and makes. If you're having problems with your starting, definitely recommend contacting him and getting a kit
Not a performance gain, but definitely a satisfying mod. Did it last winter and between the hi-cap kit and the big Shorai my GT fires up reliably in a second or two.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hahaha. Love it. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
How long is too long (holding the starter button)?

The prevalent answer, "...punch it once and let the bike do the rest...." is correct. My '06 will usually fires up on the first try. That said, when the bike has been sitting and is "cold", once it fires, it may die; which requires the starter to be pushed again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts