Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a set of S4R forks for my 07 SC Biposto, and looking forward to better handling...
I live in Brooklyn, and don't have access to tools needed for the swap, and would have to take it to a mechanic to do it.
Here are my questions:
- how long does it take approximately to do the change?
- how much do you think would be a fair amount to pay the mechanic?

I saw a videos on the forum that shows fork swapping. It seems straight forward, but they don't show the length of time taken to do it.
A quick search finds tons of results, but I can't seem to find how long it should take for the swap.

Many of you have done it. I would appreciate some pointers on how to proceed from here, and how much it might cost me to do it.

Thanks in advance!!

~k

·
Registered
674 Posts
Adam post your video with one armed scissor. It only took him 3 minutes. If your amateurs like me and tony about 1.5 hrs a 6 pack and a pizza.

but seriously, you can come over to my place in queens and use my "shop" and "tools". I will give you a hand. its not that hard. i highly advise against bringing to a shop as you will get hosed. throw the forks in a big backpack and ride over. i'm close to bushwick.
You better bring beer though. My mini fridge is empty.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I thought!!! 3 minutes to swap the forks, and another hour or so to enjoy pizza and beer.

poolagent: your forks look sweet!!! did you change them yourself? if so, do you have any tips?

TimDog: I might take you up on that offer!! If it works out, I'll surely fill up your minifridge with beer for the entire week... Will PM you offline for more info.
you gotta love the forum!!!

~k

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here they are

Just received the forks... can't wait to put them on!!!!
they're tin coated and fully adjustable.

by the way, does anyone know the difference between the S4R forks and the S4R TIN (titanium nitride treatment) coated?

~k

Attachments

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Just received the forks... can't wait to put them on!!!!
they're tin coated and fully adjustable.

by the way, does anyone know the difference between the S4R forks and the S4R TIN (titanium nitride treatment) coated?

~k
Why do you want to know? The ones you've posted are tin coated…

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Be careful to note your stock ride height. Your new forks are slightly different in length than the stockers. An easy way to keep it at the stock height is to only remove ONE stock leg, install the new one, and then use an axle or a tool to align the height. Then you're good to go with the rest of the install. BTW, a dummy axle (dowel, whatever) is very useful to hold it all together while you're fitting the axle if you don't have a helper.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Be careful to note your stock ride height. Your new forks are slightly different in length than the stockers. An easy way to keep it at the stock height is to only remove ONE stock leg, install the new one, and then use an axle or a tool to align the height. Then you're good to go with the rest of the install. BTW, a dummy axle (dowel, whatever) is very useful to hold it all together while you're fitting the axle if you don't have a helper.
Riderfejj: Thanks for the tip!! Videos showed it as well as read it on many posts... I'll surely take it into consideration.

~k

·
Registered
126 Posts
Whatever you do I strongly suggest you don't go to Queens. A Duc in Queens makes about as much sense as offering a deaf, dumb and blind man a computer.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
but seriously, you can come over to my place in queens and use my "shop" and "tools".
:D:D I can vouch for his work, I've seen with my own eyes. As for the shop and tools, I can only imagine.

Be careful to note your stock ride height. Your new forks are slightly different in length than the stockers. An easy way to keep it at the stock height is to only remove ONE stock leg, install the new one, and then use an axle or a tool to align the height.
this is a necessity. One fork at a time. Install the axil each time. Unless you want to take some serious measurements.

a deaf, dumb and blind man
sure plays a mean pinball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDvKpK-CM2M

This is one of my favorite videos. Love the song!:yeah::cool:
thanks for the bump.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:D:D I can vouch for his work, I've seen with my own eyes.
Cool... Thanks papawheelie.
Blackout did make me think twice!
I'm more on the optimistic and adventurous side! and surely won't loose anything in trying... and really appreciate TimDog's help.

Will post results tomorrow for sure.

~k

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Big THANKS to TimDog!!!
He's a great guy! Super helpful! very knowledgeable! and his garage is AWESOME!!!
Swapping the forks was easy and fun. I'll post pictures in a new thread tomorrow.
That was another reason why this forum is great!

~k

·
Registered
296 Posts
A simple fork swap is not that big of a deal, and you will love how the front end feels. Now I on the other hand just went through the major pain in the ass that is a full front end swap. Triple tree, forks, wheel, brakes and the like and DAMN it took a while. Tapping the bearing cups out of the frame was a bit nerve racking too.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A simple fork swap is not that big of a deal, and you will love how the front end feels. Now I on the other hand just went through the major pain in the ass that is a full front end swap. Triple tree, forks, wheel, brakes and the like and DAMN it took a while. Tapping the bearing cups out of the frame was a bit nerve racking too.
That sounds very cool, and i'm sure it took a lot of work and measurements as well as adjustments.
Which triple tree/forks did you use?
Why did you go with that option? as opposed to just forks? (I noticed there's a lot of superbike triple trees and forks in ebay, for a great price too...)
Can you post pics?

~k

·
Registered
635 Posts
Nice to hear you made it in and out of Queens :D

Didn't time it but it went quick

I just finished switching out my forks brakes and rims to GP performance built forks three spoke brembos and 4p calipers. Didn't take long but now that I have adjustable forks I have to read up on setting my front end sag and a track day to find a good setting range for my rebound and everything else.

I may have to switch out my clip-ons or my triple to get more adjust ability in the fork position in the triple. To get it the same length as stock the front is as low as it can go. SS forks are a bit longer like the ST4 forks. Wish I had the S4R forks now!

Next trick is to get the rear shock rebuilt and dial the whole thing in!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have to read up on setting my front end sag and a track day to find a good setting range for my rebound and everything else.
I hear ya... that's my next step as well.

I'll post pictures of the bike taken this weekend, in a new thread.

~k

1 - 20 of 27 Posts