Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still looking for my bike, and came across what I consider a great 'looking' bike and good deal. $7000 for a 999. But the bike has 18,000 miles. The 18,000 mile service was just completed, but I'm concerned the engine only has so much 'life' before major problems occur, or I need a new engine all together.

So is there a general 'life expectancy' for 999 engines? or a milage number that screams don't buy?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
193 Posts
i am curious so hear what others will have to say on this as well. my 999 is nearing 18k and has not ahad a single issue and i daily drive it. i love this bike and plan on running it til shes done. might even get another afterwards.

i ran into a guy a while back in san francisco who had 27k on his 999 and said he hasnt run into any issues either which was reassuring.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Just take it to one of the dealers in your area and have them go through it. They will let you know engine compression issues and anything else wrong with the bike. Its all good, you pay a little extra, somethings bad you pay a little to save a lot.

I'm selling my 999 soon and with 14k on the clock will recommend to a potential buyer to do the same.

·
Registered
923 Posts
anything with regualr maint. should last along time.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I just replaced my valve covers w/ magnesium (rear cylinder)....the cams and rockers looks absolutely brand new! As far as I can see peering in there everything looks good! (knock on wood!). My 999 has 11200 miles on it. Even the belts look great and they were installed 5100 miles ago.

·
Registered
716 Posts
i have a 916 with almost 28,000 miles. valves have been checked regularly but havnt had to be adjusted since the 12,000 mile service. replaced 2 rocker arms and upgraded the regulator when i got it 4 years ago and she keeps going. with regular valve adjustments, belts and oil changes and i dont see why you cant get 50k or more on a bike that dosnt see the track regularly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You all are awsome!!!

I have NEVER asked a question that has gone unanswered. Thanks a lot !!! So the $7000 sounds like a fair price no?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have NEVER asked a question that has gone unanswered. Thanks a lot !!! So the $7000 sounds like a fair price no?
what year is it, what extras does it have, how clean is it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greg, this is the blurb on the bike

Here is the words of the owner, The bike looks gret from pics. Please tell me what you think:

I have had 2 sport bikes and no car for a long time, and it is time to sell one of the bikes (i.e. the one with only one seat) and get some type of car. So, my 2003 Ducati 999 is for sale. Never been down, no accidents, clean title, title in hand, etc. I am the 2nd owner (I purchased the bike from the 1st owner in late 2006), and the bike has been well-maintained by Del Amo Motorsports in Torrance ever since it was purchased from there. I have most maintenance records (and all major maintenance records), and the 18,000 mile service was performed by Del Amo 1,000 miles ago (1,600 miles early). Bike has been garaged for its entire lifetime, and the paint still looks great. The rear is white/red instead of just plain red (a la the 999S). Bike has 17,4xx miles. Some other non-stock items include:

*Termignoni exhaust with carbon fiber cover, new ECU, and has been re-mapped
*Sargent seat (best $300 spent ever)
*Vented, machined clutch cover
*Carbon fiber rear hugger
*Carbon fiber heat shield
*Stomp traction pads

I will not accept trades of any sort. No shipping or COD or anything of that sort. The only acceptable method of payment is cash. Test rides are possible, but only if I hold the cash and with the rider possessing a valid class C license.

$7000 OBO

·
Registered
263 Posts
We just had a 999s come through the shop w/59000 miles for another 12k service and was in perfect condition, compression still around 200 both cylinders, oh and only one closer shim needed changing this time and I cant remember when we last changed one on his bike w/o going through records, the only complaint coming from this customer was and if I remember correctly from previous service's is "this sure cost a lot of money to keep this toy in good shape" and he keeps putting miles on it.
I also have a customer who has put over 100,000 miles on her monster 750 and now over 67000 miles on her S2R and other than normal service's the only problem seems to be cost.:)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
$7,000 doesn't sound like a bad price, but 999 prices are ridiculously low. I have seen some '05 "S" models advertised for near that price, and with less miles. The documented service is a big plus, and the owner sounds like he is meticulous about the bike's care.

If you aren't suffering from fear of loss, and you can drive a ways for a good deal, I would be tempted to keep looking. If you just have to have it, I don't think you will be getting burned, either.

·
Registered
724 Posts
We just had a 999s come through the shop w/59000 miles for another 12k service and was in perfect condition, compression still around 200 both cylinders, oh and only one closer shim needed changing this time and I cant remember when we last changed one on his bike w/o going through records, the only complaint coming from this customer was and if I remember correctly from previous service's is "this sure cost a lot of money to keep this toy in good shape" and he keeps putting miles on it.
I also have a customer who has put over 100,000 miles on her monster 750 and now over 67000 miles on her S2R and other than normal service's the only problem seems to be cost.:)
Curious as to what kind of oil has been used in these engines? Also how often is it changed? With all these threads about “The Best” oil to use, this may shed some extra light on the issue! (besides the other required maintenance)…..

Naturally riding style has to be taken into consideration also..

·
Registered
230 Posts
7 grand for a high millage 03 999 seems a little high. btw if your looking.. the 05 06 motor is better.. i would try to find one of those. youll pay a little more.. but it will be worth it.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
18,000 mles is not what i would consider 'high mileage''.but say you do buy and the thing breaks big time.used motors sell for little more than what a major service costs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts