Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what mileage would you expect to get from a standard 2006 999S clutch pack? (I presume the clutches are the same in all 999's and would wear out in the around same amount of time.)

I have 5500miles on my bike and when out on an early morning spin in the mountains. I found that when getting into the upper end of the rev range the clutch seemed to slip a little, it happened twice. It meant that the revs increased rapidly with out engaging any extra speed and the shift light blinked, just for a second.

I haven't inspected the clutch plates yet but thought I would see if anyone had experienced this and had any info or advice.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
clutch wear will vary with type of riding. City riding will wear out the clutches more due to more slippage from stop and go traffic.
If you ride hard, it may wear out more quickly.
Do you have vented or close clutch cover? If you have a closed one, maybe all you need to do is open and clean it.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Clutch life varies widely based on the rider and how they use/abuse it. 5500mi is about average for a well-ridden machine. Chances are, you can probably extend the life a little bit by shimming out the pack with an extra steel plate on the end

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The clutch is not vented it has the stock cover. The bike is new to me so I'm not sure what type of riding it has had before now, but it is in very good condition so its not been abused but may have had some town riding, maybe.

So Bella749 when you say average, that means at 5.5K the clutch is usually starting to wear out?

I will have a look this week and post up what I have found.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Your symptoms sound exactly like what I had when I was at 8600 miles (although on a different bike). 4th and 5th at high rpm was slipping. My bike is back in the shop with basically the same thing, but it only slips above 6k rpm and only if I gun it. It works fine with a slow turn of the throttle. I asked the tech about warranty since it has only been 6k miles since they replaced it. He told me to bring it on in and the next day called to say the plates needed to be replaced again. Then he followed with "plates are $295 and it should take about 2 hours". Told him if it's not under warranty, put it back together and I'll pick it up on Tuesday (next day they are open). Time to learn how to replace wet-clutch plates.

·
Ducati Ambassador to the Vatican
299 Posts
Hard to give an average, I had a clutch go out after 7,000 miles another lasted almost 30,000 miles.

Take your clutch apart and check whether there is still friction material on the friction plates. If so, you might want to replace one of the metal plates with a thicker one and you could get another couple thousand miles out of it.

Sometimes a good cleaning helps too.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Clutch life varies widely based on the rider and how they use/abuse it. 5500mi is about average for a well-ridden machine.
If you go by the wear of the friction material to the point where it causes slipping, I'd probably have to disagree with that as being "average". I can't think of a single Ducati owner that I know who has changed a clutch in so few miles. That low of mileage would only be expected if you constantly did drag-strip launches and clutched up wheelies.

I definitely do not baby my ST2 (or my 748), and they have considerably more mileage than 5500. If you go by tab and basket wear, I'm probably well overdue with my ST2, though. Matter of fact, because I thought my clutch was ready to be changed, I bought another clutch a while back. I've had the spare clutch assembly on my workbench for the ST2 for the last.......18k miles. The clutch has never slipped, so I just leave the original in the bike. My ST2 now has almost 50k miles on it.

If tire mileage is any reflection of clutch demands, I typically burn through rear tires in under 2500 miles, even sport-touring tires like the D220, BT-020, and Diablo Strada, and the heavier bike and my full-geared weight on the bike sure puts a bit more strain on the clutch than most 999 bikes probably see....not to mention about 10k miles of two-up riding with the combined weight of me and my wife with full gear being somewhere well north of 400 pounds (in full gear, I'm around 270).

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I just passed 12,000 mi on my 2005 999S and the original clutch is still holding firm. I have occasionally bounced off the rev limiter in the twisties, so I don't think I can be accused of being a pansy-pilot...... :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
21K and counting for my 1098S. I've never been accused of "taking it easy". I've gone through 15 rear tires, 9 fronts, 8 oil changes, 5 track-days, blah, blah, blah. But still have the original clutch, and it works great.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Desmo Demon... you are absolutely correct on your assessment of the clutch. I get about 3-4K out of one w/ a slipper clutch, which is obviously harder on the pack than a normal clutch. I also try to replace mine before the plate-to-tang clearance gets to 2mm.

·
luvmyduke
220 Posts
I bought my '05 999S with 5,000 km on it. It slipped a little bit but it never got worse until I replaced it due to the gap exceeding 2 mm and the drum showing grooves after 15,000 km. I've got 16,000 km on the new one (Barnett aluminium) now. It hasn't slipped at all, but the gaps are getting up there. I try to avoid city driving like the plague but the last 16,000 kms includes some track days.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My 998 has 9k and the clutch is making a little more noise that when new, but working fine.

My 900ss has 38k, always had an open clutch cover, and still has the original clutch and slave. They work as good as when new.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Mine did that, so I added another plate to bring the stack height back up to 38mm (it was down to 36mm or so), probably at 3k miles or so.

I changed packs when I installed the slipper at 4k miles or so (I now have 12k), had to add a plate to that this summer as well as it was slipping on occasion, so 6 or 7k before slipping this time. I'll take the clutch apart when I take it off the road later this week or next and inspect it and see what the stack height is now.

Tom

P.S. I always carry a spare steel plate or two with me for this reason.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Clutch wierdness

4000 miles on my 05 999R and sometimes it engages aukwardly after a torture session in the mountains. I try to change brake and clutch fluids at least twice a year and problems are minimal. As far as race pace, who knows? Ask Casey Stoner.Ha

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
5k to 7k is average. I replaced mine at 5 then again at 11k. Probably didn't totally need it but it. was cheap and easy to replace. Slipping in 4th or 5th is definately the plates.

Sure Flex plates have worked best for me.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
7,500 miles on my current 05 999s before replacing. I was not the orginal owner so the first 3k miles I have no idea how that went. When the clutch pack was replaced last month the basket was a bit hammered (worn edges on the inside of basket). So that tells me those prior miles might have been rough. My base 999 with 6,500 miles on it when I sold it...looked like that clutch pack was about 50 to 60% worn., so had another few thousand miles left.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Realistically, I don't care about basket wear.

I restack my clutches from time to time to even out the wear (to move the tangs to beat on new surfaces by changing the stack order). I don't care about the gap, the noise difference is minimal.

I just keep readjusting the stack height and order until the friction material is gone.

Tom

·
Registered
16 Posts
so , it is ok to change the order of the plates? as long as there is a friction at the back of the basket and the steel/friction (dual sided) plate 2nd one in?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It also seems to be going into gear very easile on some up changes.
Ducatis have one of the smoothest gear boxes of any bike but this is maybe a little too easy at times and its is hard to know it you have changed up, cos there's no click.
Does anyone have any idea what this could be, or is it just a characteristic of the 999?
Or could it be related to a worn clutch?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts