Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this year on March 30th, I crashed my Ducati Monster S4Rs during a trackday, fracturing my left scapula in the process and keeping me off motorcycles for the best part of 4 months now. Out of interest, I kept a record of what it cost to repair me, my gear and the Ducati Monster S4Rs. It totaled about $25,000. Details here

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
With health care I don't want to go to the lowest bidder. Good to see that you can write about it. Thanks for sharing your story...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well...that certainly puts things in perspective. I've been whining about how it took 12 months to put a Monster 900Sie back together, but it cost less than $2000 and there were no broken bones!

Cool picture.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I had a good laugh when I enlarged the pictures and saw the labeled arrows.

Insert tab A into slot B. Could be a good thread posting our Xray pics and randomly relabeling instruction captions.

Glad you got put back together!

Edit: for those that remember........ Come on you can tell us..... it was the water melons that did it wasn't it!

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
My helicopter ride last May to the hospital in Redding cost $20,000. My health insurance paid 80% of that. To rub salt in the wound, the $4,000 that I had to cover did not count toward my $6,000 annual out of pocket maximum. And they wonder why people are screaming for health care reform.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Out of interest, I kept a record of what it cost to repair me, my gear and the Ducati Monster S4Rs. It totaled about $25,000.
And people think Ducati motorcycles are expensive....

In 2003, my wife crashed a '93 GSX-1100R. Doing a tally similar to yours would put the cost north of $500,000 and climbing on a monthly basis. $25k isn't too bad. I think my broken femur in 2000 cost around $27k, but that included a helicopter ride over the mountains of western NC.....too bad I could only look up and see the clouds. :(

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a good laugh when I enlarged the pictures and saw the labeled arrows.

Insert tab A into slot B. Could be a good thread posting our Xray pics and randomly relabeling instruction captions.

Glad you got put back together!

Edit: for those that remember........ Come on you can tell us..... it was the water melons that did it wasn't it!
I wanted the surgeon to be sure which part went where! Here is the finished job.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Collar bone fractures are very common. I did this last year:

Collar bone broken in two places. Notice the chip floating around...

Which, when repaired, looked like this:

Total cost was less than $15,000. The ER was $3,500, the surgery to install the place was about $9,000, then fix the bike and doctor visits... My insurance covered most of it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Since were hijacking...

Arm reconstruction, 1 plate, 8 screws, 6 wrist bones from a cadaver, shoulder reconstruction and 3rd degree A-C seperation....

Lost goods':

....But id never have my ducati if I never wrecked my 2009 gsxr750..... so im ok with it....

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
My helicopter ride last May to the hospital in Redding cost $20,000. My health insurance paid 80% of that. To rub salt in the wound, the $4,000 that I had to cover did not count toward my $6,000 annual out of pocket maximum. And they wonder why people are screaming for health care reform.
Consider yourself fortunate that they even paid. I currently work for a company that provides no healthcare benefits, so I had to purchase an individual coverage policy when my COBRA ran out. These guys deny all the claims, even simple office visits. I'm still trying to get payment for a visit to my OB/GYN three months ago. And they're jacking my rates up in September. I think I'll cancel and self-insure.

+1000 on health care reform.

Sounds like OP has good coverage with a reputable insurance company. I wish I did. :(

Debby

·
Registered
40 Posts
One of things that i like of italy is that surgeon when you crash is free (...payed by taxes...) but has a very low level in certain areas, specially in the south of the country...
:-/

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I'll play.......

Separation of the a/c joint and broken end of collar bone.

Don't know what it cost since it was paid for by work but it was 2 surgeries (the big screw is not in the pic now) and 6 months of 3-4 days a week rehab so I am sure it wasn't cheap.

what we do and put up with for our love affair........:D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
same here but you better have a plan if you can't go to work:eek:
Since her accident, I figure my wife has lost over $200,000 in potential income, compared to what she was making before the accident, and this amount climbs every day. Since she is going to a pain clinic in order to help her deal with the 24/7/365 pain that she has to endure, she is on narcotics and nerve blockers. Many companies wouldn't want to hire her simply because of the drugs, but also because of the insurance claims (more claims = higher insurance rates for the company and its employees).

Additionally, my wife was turned down for disability and had to hire a lawyer to get it. I found this ridiculous when her left leg is paralyzed from the knee down and even after three bone grafts, one of her bones never regrew together (I can't remember if it is the tibia or fibula). To assist in holding her ankle on her leg, she has two plates and 22 screws holding it on and taking the place of the gap in her bone.

The worse thing is, to qualify for disability, you pretty much have to be at the pverty level. You really can't have any money in savings or in a retirement portfolio (they require you to drain those funds first), but your house and car can only be worth a certain amount of money. What really ticks me off, though, is that she has to pay taxes on 85% of her disability because of MY annual income. We often say we should get divorced, because every time we turn around, the government is sticking it us for being married.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Since her accident, I figure my wife has lost over $200,000 in potential income, compared to what she was making before the accident, and this amount climbs every day. Since she is going to a pain clinic in order to help her deal with the 24/7/365 pain that she has to endure, she is on narcotics and nerve blockers. Many companies wouldn't want to hire her simply because of the drugs, but also because of the insurance claims (more claims = higher insurance rates for the company and its employees).

Additionally, my wife was turned down for disability and had to hire a lawyer to get it. I found this ridiculous when her left leg is paralyzed from the knee down and even after three bone grafts, one of her bones never regrew together (I can't remember if it is the tibia or fibula). To assist in holding her ankle on her leg, she has two plates and 22 screws holding it on and taking the place of the gap in her bone.

The worse thing is, to qualify for disability, you pretty much have to be at the pverty level. You really can't have any money in savings or in a retirement portfolio (they require you to drain those funds first), but your house and car can only be worth a certain amount of money. What really ticks me off, though, is that she has to pay taxes on 85% of her disability because of MY annual income. We often say we should get divorced, because every time we turn around, the government is sticking it us for being married.
The state of health care in America, and the social services network to support people like your wife, is in my opinion dismal. Sure we have the greatest medical skills in the world, but it doesn't matter if you can't afford it and the social services network is not there to support you if you have problems like your wife does. I really feel for your wife's situation and it sucks that you basically have to do strange things like get divorced in order to "work the system" to get a better deal.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Good Lord, we are doomed! I can't believe how many people feel entitled to the best care possible by birth rights. Maybe you all should be awarded the best motorcycles available when they come out because you're so special.

Newsflash, the people who can afford it, buy the best. When we socialize anything and spread it out to all, the quality AND availability goes down. There's no way around it. You want government healthcare? Visit a VA hospital. I worked in one for over three years. You won't be showing us the pins and plates in your legs, you'll be showing us your stumps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.