Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering an SF848 down the road a ways, but am concerned about the non-standard 180\60 rear tire size, and the lack of selection this presents. It sounds like the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa used is more sport oriented, and therefore maybe lacking in wet grip and and longevity. I'm a fairly conservative rider who's attracted to the SF848 by its versatility. It seems like a bike I could grow my skills with, but I don't see myself ever getting real aggressive, doing track days, etc. I'm used to the 10+k miles my GT1000 gets with Michelin Pilot 2s, so if an SF848 limited me to performance rubber that required replacing after only 4-5k miles of relatively conservative riding, it would probably be a deal breaker.

My questions to those who've racked up some miles: How are the Pirellis for wet weather and longevity? Does anyone know of any sport touring alternatives that are longer lasting and have good grip when it's wet? Has anyone experimented with running a 180\55 so you would have more options?

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm considering an SF848 down the road a ways, but am concerned about the non-standard 180\60 rear tire size, and the lack of selection this presents. It sounds like the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa used is more sport oriented, and therefore maybe lacking in wet grip and and longevity. I'm a fairly conservative rider who's attracted to the SF848 by its versatility. It seems like a bike I could grow my skills with, but I don't see myself ever getting real aggressive, doing track days, etc. I'm used to the 10+k miles my GT1000 gets with Michelin Pilot 2s, so if an SF848 limited me to performance rubber that required replacing after only 4-5k miles of relatively conservative riding, it would probably be a deal breaker.

My questions to those who've racked up some miles: How are the Pirellis for wet weather and longevity? Does anyone know of any sport touring alternatives that are longer lasting and have good grip when it's wet? Has anyone experimented with running a 180\55 so you would have more options?
Well for one, I've never gotten 4000-5,000 miles on any tire of any of my bikes before. That's a hell of a lot of miles for a sportbike IMO. Tires are important and easy to change. They'll need to be changed regularly. So sorry to be short with you, but you'll just need to learn to deal with it.

I've never ridden my F1098S for longer than a 500 mile trip. But it did so very well. I've also ridden at 160+mph (IN THE WET) on a variety of Pirrelli's. None of the tires I've ridden in the past 6 years were 180's, except a couple 600cc SBK's. All of the 180 size tires that Pirellis makes for sportbike riding are fantastic in the wet. At least for me. And I wouldn't say I'm especially fast on the track, or the street. But I'm no slouch, either.

Furthermore, I don't think the F848 uses a 180/60, does it? Isn't it a 180/55 rear?

Pirelli Diablo Rosso II Rear Tire - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

I think the 180/60 is the rain profile tire. You don't plan on touring with a rain tire on, do you?

Honestly, tires should be expected to be changed out around 2,000-3,500 miles for the upper-medium-aggressive riders. Getting 10K miles out of a tire is kind of stupid to me. I mean, are you that cheap? :eek:

The GT1000 is a two valve, isn't it? If the GT1000 was a 4 valve, would you expect it to get 10,000 miles out of a z rated supersport tire?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa Rear Tire - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Looks like Pirelli does make a 180/60. But I wouldn't imagine Ducati putting on the 180/60 stock on the F848. The 55 profile already turns in incredibly well.

That being said, even if it does come with the 180/60, I wouldn't ever hesitate to put a 180/55 on the rear. Not even for a second. But again, you really shouldn't expect 5,000 miles out of this tire. That's a hell of a lot of miles for a supersport tire. Even if you are mostly only using the middle of it.

With a single sided swing-arm, and only needing to change the rear/front tire every other time for street riding, AND it only being $180, it really is easy like Sunday morning.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks like Pirelli does make a 180/60. But I wouldn't imagine Ducati putting on the 180/60 stock on the F848. The 55 profile already turns in incredibly well.
Yup, they did.

Rain performance is actually pretty decent in my experience. I definitely dramatically change my riding style when it gets sloppy (as well as up the DTC).

Preppyjoel is up near 9000km (I think) on his F848 and I just had a look at his rear tire last weekend, still looked pretty good to me. The triple compound seems to make a decent difference on these tires.

55 profile tire will apparently goof with the DTC and speedo as far as I've heard (not sure if anyone has actually tested it though).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa Rear Tire - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

The SF848 DOES come with a 180/60 Corsa Rosso standard from Ducati. I have almost 5k miles on mine and I'll be lucky if I get another 1k out of it. I do get into the throttle quite a bit on the weekends when I take it for spirited canyon runs. I'm a bit surprised I've gotten the mileage I have, seeing as how on my old Monster and my GSX-R1000 I would be lucky if I got 3500 miles out of the tires.

As far as rain, I couldn't tell you. It never rains here. :D

I forgot which thread I read it in, but there is someone here on the forums that went with the 180/55 and they weren't impressed/happy with the way it changed the turn in on the SF848. They said it felt sluggish, but I guess that is subjective. Only one way to really find out how it feels to YOU.

I for one will be putting another Corsa Rosso on, I've been very happy with the grip and overall performance/longevity. I could never imagine getting 10k miles out of a sport tire, or any tire for that matter on a "sportbike".

·
Registered
657 Posts
The SF848 DOES come with a 180/60 Corsa Rosso standard from Ducati. I have almost 5k miles on mine and I'll be lucky if I get another 1k out of it. I do get into the throttle quite a bit on the weekends when I take it for spirited canyon runs. I'm a bit surprised I've gotten the mileage I have, seeing as how on my old Monster and my GSX-R1000 I would be lucky if I got 3500 miles out of the tires.

As far as rain, I couldn't tell you. It never rains here. :D

I forgot which thread I read it in, but there is someone here on the forums that went with the 180/55 and they weren't impressed/happy with the way it changed the turn in on the SF848. They said it felt sluggish, but I guess that is subjective. Only one way to really find out how it feels to YOU.

I for one will be putting another Corsa Rosso on, I've been very happy with the grip and overall performance/longevity. I could never imagine getting 10k miles out of a sport tire, or any tire for that matter on a "sportbike".
Anyone who complains about turn-in on a 180/55 rear tire, on the street mind you, probably doesn't even know what sluggish truly feels like. I've ridden with incredibly fast guys of the street, and they very rarely complain themselves of their 180/xx rear tires being sluggish. As a matter of fact, one of these fast guys that I have in mind, rides on a 180/50. And he gets around faster than 90% of the riders that rode with us. (variety of trackday enthusiats included) So, for someone who is on the street, complaining about a 180/55 being "sluggish" in comparison to the 180/60, has got to be one of two things.

1) an incredibly fast, balls out, doesn't give a shit about their life kind of fast
Props to him, if that's the case.
2) or, doesn't have a clue of what "sluggish" really even means.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I replaced the standard 60 profile tyre, a couple of weeks ago, after
3000 miles, including run in. I went for the same again, I have found excellent grip in the wet, approximately 1000 miles in wet. It has been a crap summer here, with only a few dry, warm days. Temp about 15 to 18c.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Funny you say that, I prefer right hand corners. Speed limits are a bit higher here. The last time I was in Calgary, I got into trouble for speeding, not on my bike.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm at the 5000km mark on my SF848 tires and the rear looks like it still have a fair bit left in it. For this kind of performance you have to give up a little in the durability side of things. But lets be honest... $250 for a rear tire ($170 on sale at motorcycle superstore) really isn't that bad for 8-9000km's. If you can't cough up that kind of cash every stint, don't buy a Ducati SF848. There are accessories that are twice that amount for a little piece of moulded carbon fibre.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I'm in South Florida, US; we have had a very wet year and I have no complaint whatsoever re the stock SF848 tires over the past couple of months. 2K miles and counting....

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to you SF848 guys for your feedback. I forgot about 180\55 tires messing with the DTC and speedo, so wouldn't even consider that option. Sounds like the Pirellis provide decent miles and still do well in the wet, even if they don't last as long as Mich Pilot 2s do. Perhaps later on if the bike sells well Pirelli or someone else will do a sport touring tire for guys like me who put on most of their miles commuting.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I got 2600 miles out of the oem 180/60....down to the cords and evenly worn.

I make no claims to being fast, but I rarely get left behind.

I replaced that oem tire with a 180/55 Rosso II and will be going back to the 60 when it's done, as turn-in and response have suffered.
If you think a 55 would work as well or you can't tell the difference, that's on you.....it IS different (in a bad way IMO) and for the way I ride it does matter.

The oem Rosso corsa was fine on damp pavement, can't comment on its wet performance, but I'm also happy with the Rosso II's grip.... shame they don't make a 60 (yet?).

If you don't ride hard you'd probably be happy with any 180/55 s/t tire....the michelin pr2/pr3 are my longtime favorites in that category.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts