Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forgot that aspect when I replaced my timing belts. Too much time between belts off/ belts on. I re-read in LT's book that they should be replaced so now I'm a bit worried. How critical is it? It has 18,000 on it, and the peace of mind would be worth it but I hate fiddling with the fairing. What say ye? (No, I'm not taking it to the shop!)

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
I replaced mine when I was in there, but that issue has been bothering me. There are so many types of reuseable lock nuts. WTF?

Have a good one.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I just not used to it at all. I've replaced very few nuts or bolts on the beemer for the last 31 years. Most for cosmetic reasons.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The Fuji nuts are classified as reusable, they can be sourced in balk from automotive supply stores and in their catalogs are described as being able to be reused many times. If it helps you to relax change them or add a little blue lock-tight. Actually even when you replace them chances are that you will loosen and re-tighten them a few times before you are happy with the belt tension.

Jerry
04 ST4s

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah thanks Jerry, that is helpful. I called Ducati Seattle to order a couple ( 12 bucks each, must be magic! ) but they were out. Next time around I will go to a parts place and stock up on them.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I replaced mine and used a little blue loctite. Now i will have to check next time that the adjuster shaft does not undo from the motor case rather than the loctite giving way. I refer to a recent thread where a members belt gave out causing engine valve damage.

Wasn't due to loc tite ...just the shaft coming loose.

·
Registered
45 Posts
$12 each is ludicrous! i got mine from my local ducati dealer in raleigh, Barnetts on lake wheeler great great guys, for $1.32 apiece. and they were, get this in stock!

·
Registered
588 Posts
$12 each is ludicrous! i got mine from my local ducati dealer in raleigh, Barnetts on lake wheeler great great guys
As Mom always said, if you don't have anything good to say, don't say it at all.

LT Snyder. www.desmotimes.com Top shelf guy and one we all owe a debt of gratitude to for his service to this country.

·
Registered
887 Posts
$12 each is ludicrous! i got mine from my local ducati dealer in raleigh, Barnetts on lake wheeler great great guys, for $1.32 apiece. and they were, get this in stock!
They have probably gone up since your purchase with everything else imported. Ducati Omaha is good for mail order and has them for $1.99.

I change mine every three services and use blue Loctite for a bit of extra security.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
As Mom always said, if you don't have anything good to say, don't say it at all.

LT Snyder. www.desmotimes.com Top shelf guy and one we all owe a debt of gratitude to for his service to this country.
MCD,

Nobody has said anything bad about LT Snyder, I think you have missed something, somehow?

Re read the thread

Craig

·
Registered
45 Posts

see my mom always told me to fact check. as in LT sells his lock nuts at 7 dollars apair. which is a steal considering the wealth of knowledge that comes from being able to ask that man. and i speak from personal experience. i was speaking about the 12 a piece a dealer was quoted as selling them from.
;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
They have probably gone up since your purchase with everything else imported. Ducati Omaha is good for mail order and has them for $1.99.

I change mine every three services and use blue Loctite for a bit of extra security.
I bought mine about a month ago and that was after hitting EVERY shop that sells tools-Big Boxers to the mom and pops- I was terrified at the idea of a "Ducati Experience" for locknuts and it turned out to be the best option.

Only reason I didn't go back to LT was I wanted them ASAP.

·
Registered
588 Posts
MCD,

Nobody has said anything bad about LT Snyder, I think you have missed something, somehow?

Re read the thread

Craig
Craig,

I didn't miss anything. My comment was based on 1st hand experience with the shop out of Raleigh and lets just say... nah... nevermind (see Mom comment above). THAT is who I was referring to in the 1st place. Not LT who I simply believe is an absolute top-shelf guy. In fact, I bet you would be hard pressed to find anyone who has knocked him on this or any other Ducati board. Regarding the Fuji nuts and can you get them cheaper? Hell ya. In fact, as previously stated, go ahead and use locktite and essentially use the same set forever. If that's what you choose to do.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have to believe that finding a dealer that sells parts at one tenth the price is saying something nice. in fact i believe my exact words were "great great guys" and i simply referenced the aforementioned dealer (and left out name and location) that was selling the locknuts at a greater price.

so, i guess i dont see your point...unless your were attempting an ironic jab at the dealer?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info, I was wondering if the 12 bucks per was standard. Maybe those are special ordered from NASA? They normally aren't too bad on parts, I don't know what the deal is there.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
They are $2.49 Canadian peso's up here.

At LT's recommendation I put on an old one and then a new one right afterward.... There is significant difference in resistance to turning. I replaced them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts