Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so for everyone out there, I am trying to get a baseline as I never checked out the upper end on my bike before. Will your carbd 900ss pull 9500+ rpm in sixth with stock sprocket sizes? If not, what does it pull up to? Just thought I would ask. Thanks.

Ryan

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I don't know the answer, but isn't the rev limiter at 8500? (or maybe 8000?).

I know my 750ssie won't pull redline in top gear (fifth), even with a 43-T rear. I'm not even 100% sure it will do it in fourth, although I think it will. I always run out of road and/or courage before I get there.

·
Registered
568 Posts
My 95' Hot Rodded CR has hi-comp 11:1 J&E pistons w/ Dough Lofgren Taper Bores & 39 tooth rear and and Ken Zeller's Dyno max power is @7450 RPM /84 HP...so why rev it higher unless your chasing or being chased

8000 RPM = 79hp

·
Registered
401 Posts
Mine manual says 7,500 and with no rev limiter I haven't exceeded that (by much).

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Hey Ryan,

Does you local dyno shop offer a " base info" dyno run? I paid about 40 bucks for a info typr run years ago. My std 01 ei peaked power at around 8600 so with std gearing and carburation you'll not get much more. I'm not up with bike carbs but bigger chokes will increase top end hp at the loss of low torque.

Waaay too many things to play with.

Mal

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am saying.... you get on the highway, you put it in fith, and you go until it wont go anymore. What will your bike stop at RPM wise, not speed wise. Thats all.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
why do you want to know?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
SS top end

Unless the bike has competition cams, anything much over 8000-8500 RPMs is pointless. Peak power is attained at more like 7800/8000 RPMs. Air drag will determine the actual top end (that, plus gearing). It may be faster in 5th than 6th with stock gearing.

If top end is your "thing", you're on the wrong machine with the SS. The Superbikes make way more top end HP due to their better breathing valvetrains, but they're not as comfortable at street speeds either.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can appreciate that fact. ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS WHEN YOU ARE IN FREAKIN SIXTH GEAR, WHERE DOES YOUR BIKE STOP ACCELERATING RPM WISE AS IN THE AIR RESISTANCE OVERCOMES THE ABILITY TO ACCELERATE FURTHER. FOR CHRIST'S SAKE. I KNOW AN SBK IS FASTER. I HAVE DYNOD MY BIKE AND KNOW WHERE MY PEAK POWER IS! ANYONE HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY THAT ACTUALLY WOULD ANSWER MY QUESTION?

ps I am just kidding, no one get bent out of shape

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
why?

:p

·
Registered
568 Posts
mine runs out of steam at 154 - 155 MPH 8600 RPM (39 rear)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts