Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an 07 1098 to replace both my R6 and 00 748. Ever since I got it i been noticing its REALLY hard to start. Compared to my 748, which wasnt the easiest bike to start in the world compared to the R6 that sat next to it. It takes a while to get it running. I started the 1098 up yesterday afternoon, dead cold, about 55 degrees out. Its been in the garage, batt tender on it, fresh gas. The first 2 cycles it just turned over and over until it timed out. The 3rd cycle it caught for 1 second before it ended the start cycle. Finally on the 4th cycle, with a little bit a thottle play it fired up.

(The other day it took 5 or 6 cycles to catch.)

I let it warm up to normal temps and then turned it off. Then tried to start it again and it fired right back up in like a 1/4 turn of a single revolution on the first try.

So, from a new 1098 owner i guess my question is this too hard to start or decently normal?

It just seems to me like its way too hard to start coming from my old 748 which fired up after a few turn overs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for replies so far.

My buddy who stopped by yesterday to see the 1098 is thinking otherwise. He's a tech for benz and works with a guy that used to be a Duc tech until he went over benz. He's saying the bike is too lean to to start up without the help of some throttle (which ive been doing to finally get it started). And to somehow adjust it by resetting the TPS and CO levels. Full of crap or right ???

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah it is. the extended warranty just kicked in.

Also to those who have slow or hard starting 848/1098/1198's, do they start eventually hands off with no help from the throttle or do you need to give the throttle some twist too?

if its just me that needs to use the throttle on the umpteenth cycle to finally catch, I might bring it in.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I live in Wisconsin and know all about the "cold" starting tendencies of Ducati bikes. One thing I've noticed is that battery condition seems to be a huge factor in how quickly the bike will start. My old 999 was a real bear if it was below 60 degrees outside. My 1098 is a little better but not by much. One thing you can check on your 1098 is the digital battery voltage to get a rough idea of your battery condition.

I didn't pull the battery out of my bike this winter and instead installed a battery tender. When I went to start it for the first time this weekend the bike exhibited the same no start characteristics that yours did. I cycled through the modes on the gauges and found the voltage screen. Low and behold the battery only read 11.5 volts. Turns out my battery tender isn't working... I put my regular charger on for a couple of hours at 1.5amps and it read 12.3 volts (with the charger turned off). With that voltage it only took one or two revolutions and the bike was up and running.

The bike sat overnight in my garage again and it fired up beautifully this morning.

Check your voltage :) If that's not it... be thankfull you've got a warranty!

·
Registered
83 Posts
my bike just sneezes if you touch the throttle while trying to start it... hot or cold. I have a full termi system though and had the dealer do their magic after I installed it. A stock bike might behave a little differently...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Same Here

My 08 1098 won't start without a bit of help from the throttle either when cold. No problem when warm. My '99 748 fires right up on the 1st kick cold or warm.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I been monitoring the voltage's and everything seems to be ok. I did notice that the Battery Tender like to keep the voltage near 12.1-12.2v. When the bike is off the tender I usually get a read out of 12.4 to 12.6v. Actually just this morning I got a reading of 12.7v, bike off the tender.

When the key is turned on, voltage drops to 12.1 to 12.2. Then after 2 minutes of no activity I hear a relay click over and the voltage rises to 12.3 to 12.4 and stays there.

Im keeping it off the tender for now and im gonna take a reading later tonight and see whats the standing voltage after it spends the day sitting with no tender on it.

I live in Wisconsin and know all about the "cold" starting tendencies of Ducati bikes. One thing I've noticed is that battery condition seems to be a huge factor in how quickly the bike will start. My old 999 was a real bear if it was below 60 degrees outside. My 1098 is a little better but not by much. One thing you can check on your 1098 is the digital battery voltage to get a rough idea of your battery condition.

I didn't pull the battery out of my bike this winter and instead installed a battery tender. When I went to start it for the first time this weekend the bike exhibited the same no start characteristics that yours did. I cycled through the modes on the gauges and found the voltage screen. Low and behold the battery only read 11.5 volts. Turns out my battery tender isn't working... I put my regular charger on for a couple of hours at 1.5amps and it read 12.3 volts (with the charger turned off). With that voltage it only took one or two revolutions and the bike was up and running.

The bike sat overnight in my garage again and it fired up beautifully this morning.

Check your voltage :) If that's not it... be thankfull you've got a warranty!

Also I took off the plastics for the first time and found out that the ECU on the bike is stock. The bike was listed as having the 70mm Termi system, which it does, but it was implied that it had the whole "kit" on it. So I thought it had on the Race ECU, ( didnt open the airbox yet to see if it has the filter too) but apparently it only has the stock ECU. Whatever....

I guess the previous owner opted not to go for the race ECU and went the PCIII route.

Apparently the PCIII is tuned too because in the folder with all the paperwork for it came a dyno chart from last October only. From the numbers on it, i guess he went with a more mild tune as the chart only says it makes 148hp and 81.5 trq. Maybe even a tune just to compensate for the 70mm system. I dunno.

The bike has was just serviced before being put on the showroom floor, like a day before I bought it. So, I would think its been trimmed out properly, TPS reset and that it would be tech tested, mother approved.

Im gonna call up the service dept today and see what they say. :crazy:

·
Registered
161 Posts
My 07 1098 first start of each day is extended, like 2-4 seconds and then once fired up U can shut it off and always fires immediately up, kinda like building fuel pressure? My 2000 996 fires up right away everytime, I believe they had some battery/starter issues and of course the regulator recall, make sure its been done, the batteries have to be good in all Ducs.

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
I always crack open the throttle just a little bit to help the bike start. Doing so, makes it easier to start up, because the additional air going by the t/b's help ignite start up much more efficiently.

But nothing outrageous, don't grab a handfull. Just a little bit is all that is needed. I don't have starting issues or problems, I just do this because it's 'easeier' on the bike.

·
Registered
227 Posts
All ducs are kind of a pain in the ass to start up when cold.

I also noticed that my 748s starts up quicker than my 1098s in the cold (around 5 degrees celsius). It's not a huge difference, as both take a couple tries to start up.
+1 all the time I had problems starting these things was the battery, it didn't produce enough juice to crank the engine fast enough .... even if the battery has 12+v and it was kinda new as soon as I replaced it, it worked fine.....

·
Registered
387 Posts
With the price and technology level of the 1098--in addition to the fact that the 748 starts so easily--cold starting issues seem inexcusable to me. In this day and age, a fuel injected bike should just roar to life.

What's the deal? I'd be very disappointed bringing home a $15k bike and it not start without a bunch of BS when cold.

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
With the price and technology level of the 1098--in addition to the fact that the 748 starts so easily--cold starting issues seem inexcusable to me. In this day and age, a fuel injected bike should just roar to life.
Don't forget the 748 is a much smaller motor, with much less compression. The 1098 is bigger, more compression, and thus just 'harder' to start.

I can't make excuses, but to me, the fact that we have street legal Twins putting out liter bike hp to the wheels is still just amazing to me.

Just crack open the throttle a little bit.....no big whoop.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The 1098 and 848 bikes have a different start button that you have to get used too. When you hit the start button your probably used to holding it down till it starts...right? Its not this way with the 1098 and 848 you press it once and it does the rest. I beleive if you hold it down it keep cycling from the beginning.

Its kinda weird, see if that helps if not bring it in and I doubt its lean on start up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Starting my 1098

I have found the best way,(for now) is to let the bike go 1cycle. As it begins turning on the second cycle, I give it a bit of throttle, not much, just a crack.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts