Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
One Down, 8 to Go
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you spend time on other Moto forums you know hating on Ducatis (and their owners) is a favorite topic :). BARF (Bay Area Riders Forum) is a super active community, very supportive but you had better have a really thick skin. Kind of the Moto version of Somethingawful. Yesterday there was the second thread in a few weeks on how good the Multi is, this one started by an owner :Ode to my Multistrada 1200S Touring - BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum . Lot's of love being thrown our bike's way.

On any make/model specific forum we tend to focus on the issues on the bike. Nice to see this outside perspective on how others see the bike.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Great little thread. Yesterday I bought some chain lube at a Suzuki/Yamaha dealer where one of the techs rides a Super Teneree and I actually checked out his bike and sat on it before I test rode and bought the MTS1200. I was almost sold on the Super Teneree but a test ride on the Duc is all it took. This time he was drooling over the Multi. I really think people who can't afford to get a Multi should not test ride one because it will be painful not to get it and walk away from it. Any other bike I sat on afterward (Super Teneree, Tiger Explorer, Tiger 800xc, BMW F800GS) felt like a soulless compromise.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Oh come on, you guys are starting to sound like pompous snobs now!!!!!

Did I mention how superior I felt yesterday walking in the Harley bar with my DUCATI jacket on!:D

·
Super Moderator
6,017 Posts
I read through several pages of adulation with mixed feelings. If I've already got the most kick-ass bike, what can I dream about....
(tough problem, I know.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
ST2 to MTS1200 ?

Great article, but I really like my ST2.
I love my ST2, but I'm really eye-balling the MTS as the next bike. Didn't care so much for the first MTS, but now this one realy seems to have its s*t together. I think the over 10+ years of R&D into the new gen MTS would really be apparent. But I'm concerned that the Sport part of the ST line will get lost. I did originally decide on the ST because it was the most 'S' out any sport-tourer on the market.

Wondering if anybody else did the jump from ST to MTS and would like to comment.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I had an ST4s for awhile and I switched to the MTS-
They are both great bikes, inspiring in sound, power, and handling. I found the ST to be very comfortable- I did 10-12 hour days. I haven't had a chance on the MTS yet, but I will. I suspect I'll want a new seat.
The ST was much more of a 'hunker-down and go fast' bike. I like the sound of the exhaust note a little better on it- more 'traditional'. The wind management over the head was better- it was much cleaner air- but boy, did my legs get hot in slow driving. I hated driving the ST in town. I think the ST is also a better looking bike. I still haven't embraced the 'beak' yet. Good thing I can't see it from the saddle!
The MTS is a 'sit up and go fast bike'. It is more powerful, much quicker handling, has a better suspension and a worse rear brake. It is more of an all-rounder and I don't mind driving it in town or out on the backroads. I think I'm a bit faster on the MTS, but that isn't my first goal- I just like riding.
The MTS is going to be a better bike for real tight corners and parking lots. It handles more like a mountain bike. The ST might be better on the long 90 mph sweepers. It has the heavier, more traditional geometry in steering. Wouldn't bet money on either one, though.
I guarantee you that the 'sport' part is definitely in this bike. It heels right over in a corner, and blasts its way out the other side. It is more sport than I can take advantage of (30+ years riding).
I would have stayed with the ST, but my elbow has been giving me trouble and on the ST, you put a fair amount of weight on your arms. Not so much with the MTS.
Both are great bikes, but they just ride very differently. Unless you have a real compelling reason to switch from an ST to an MTS, I'm not sure I would suggest it. Certainly not now while Ducati is changing some of the kit on the MTS. On the other hand, if you need a new bike for health reasons or 'just because I need a new bike', then the MTS is a great choice.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Multi vs. BMW K1600GT for long distance touring?..

So I didn't want to start a new thread and figured I'd get some response in this area.

I have a 2011 Multi S touring and I really like it. It has been problem free ( other than brake recall and coolant) and after 8000 miles of mostly So Ca. twisties and a couple of long rides thru Death Valley and Arizona I really cannot find fault with it. Its fast and fun, reliable and fairly comfortable and that is what leads me to this question..

I am entering early retirement ( lucky me !) and it looks like I am going to want and be able to do some cross country ( mostly west coast ) touring involving 300-500 mile days and yes... some of that will be slab. I have been eyeing a 2011 Triumph Sprint GT as a good sport/touring bike that is dirt cheap to quell my "new bike" fever. I thought it would be a good and "practical" addition to the fleet ( BMW F800GS and 2011 Multi S). Then I started thinking .. why now sell the Multi and add the cost of the Sprint GT and just get the well reviewed K1600GT? Two into one? I have recently relocated to the Phoenix area and the paved riding here is not as interesting as Southern California twisty wise. I have not ridden the GT but did ride the GTL. I was impressed to say the least. There is a reason or 5 that it has gained the accolades that it has the last two years. Same could be said for the Multi. Both great bikes..

So if one could choose which bike to spend long hours in the saddle with great storage and enough power,comfort and fun factor.. which would you choose.. Taking money out of the mix..

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
As many will know...I have been quite critical of Ducati and my MTS...I think during 2011/12 Ducati used a lot of cheap parts (which fail), they drove their suppliers prices down too far and were behind on the technology to meet all the polution reg's...so did it in a very poor way.
That all said...I use the bike every day...and big rides most weekends....I love it...and I can't think what I would rather have. I have tried many different bikes in the last 12 months...This is my first Ducati....and I truely love it. I hate all this 'big smile' sort of talk....but it's true...and ever time I walk past it in the garage...I say good morning to it...stroke it....wish it a nice day!!

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Montana, comes down to what you want. For me I found the GTL/GT heavy, especially top heavy,-(a trim Gold Wing), lol; i found it to be buffety in the wind, but not the MTS, noisy as hell, yes. The only bike I was unable to test prior to purchase was the T Trophy, but after riding the MTS it really was unnecessary. It is hands down as close to perfect, for me, for what I want as I could imagine. Not a perfect bike but as close to one as I have ever ridden. On top of which it calls to me.

You mentioned the following;

Storage- about equal.

Power- + to BMW by a smidge, but then it outweighs the MTS by 250 lbs, advantage MTS.

Comfort- I put about 200m on each on the test rides; for me the riding position on the MTS was way more comfy, the ergos were just better. And it handles much more nimbly

Fun factor- not even remotely close. MTS

Make your list, take your rides, buy what speaks to you.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
Montana, if you prefer a more car-like experience, go with the GT or even an RT (if it allows you to keep your MTS). I'm being serious. If pure slab and mostly miles of straights is what you're going to be riding, then I would give the big BMW bikes real consideration, they're more road comfy, at least I think so. The new Triumph Trophy looks good, I'd choose it over the Sprint for the type of riding you've mentioned. If you don't care for certain amenities, features, or real comfort then stick with what you have now.

I'm with Raebear....I really depends on what matters most to you.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Montana, if you prefer a more car-like experience, go with the GT or even an RT (if it allows you to keep your MTS). I'm being serious. If pure slab and mostly miles of straights is what you're going to be riding, then I would give the big BMW bikes real consideration, they're more road comfy, at least I think so. The new Triumph Trophy looks good, I'd choose it over the Sprint for the type of riding you've mentioned. If you don't care for certain amenities, features, or real comfort then stick with what you have now.

I'm with Raebear....I really depends on what matters most to you.
Yep.. that is the quandry..

I know the bigger bikes will be more comfy on long straight rides.. The Multi excels when twisty's and speed are in the mix but when its long and straight.. it ain't that great.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I feel the Multistrada is the best bike I ever had. I'm feeling very proud riding on it. And every time I look at it, I think, "gosh, it's beautiful". I plan some long trips this year and I can't wait till snow disappears and I can take her for my daily ride to work.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Yep.. that is the quandry..

I know the bigger bikes will be more comfy on long straight rides.. The Multi excels when twisty's and speed are in the mix but when its long and straight.. it ain't that great.
I understand the desire for comfy, what I don't understand is the desire-(not necessarily yours), of wanting/having car like comfort on a bike and sacrificing at least to some extent what a bike is about. I have to ride 2-300 miles each way to really get to good riding. It is a bit of a drone on any thing.
So my multi will get crash bars, with hiway pegs, some sort of bag to lean back on, the garmin 600 w bluetooth headset for tunes, I'll fix, if I need to the windshield to allow for a nice quiet little pocket to settle into and go; the test ride was fine as far as no buffeting, it was noisy, but plugs, tunes and a little tweeking should fix that. Gore-tex for the weather, heated grips what else comfort wise is there? Russell seat if need be. I do plan on doing a few iron butt rides on it.
Excellent suspension, great road manners, easy maneuverability, more fun :D factor than any of the others, light enough to pick up if dropped. :eek:
Good tourer, dump the bags sport bike hunter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Make your list, take your rides, buy what speaks to you.
That is what it boils down to. Bikes are a personal thing, and the reasons why one over the other are infinite. I find myself in an internal battle more than anything, and I end up searching for reasons and/or excuses that support one side or the other, depending on my mood.

For the GTL vs MTS, I think they are both great bikes, and they both have character. That 6 cylinder has received a lot of positive feedback and the ergos are right for eating up the miles. But the latest gen Multi is somewhat of a chameleon, capable of many miles, but also dice it up with a GS. Tough choices.... Bottom line is like raebear said, go with what speaks to you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Montanaman: While the BMW K1600 really looks good on the outside, I would suggest you do some research on it via a few of the BMW websites out there. I own one and have been trying to sell it now for about 4 months without success. The K1600 is a fun and comfortable ride but has far too many problems for my liking. I won't bore you to death with the long list of issues but they range from minor to major, same as most other manufacturers, but BMW seems to have far more than its fair share of issues. Water pumps have been replaced multiple times on some bikes, electrical switches have been replaced sometimes multiple times on the same bikes. Some owners have strange noises and clunks and bangs in their bikes and it goes on and on. Warranty satisfaction seems to be very hit or miss with problem bikes and thru it all you have some owners that just drink nothing but BMW Kool-Aid and can find no fault with the Mothership. They also think nothing of making a personal attack on you if you dare say anything bad about their "chosen motorcycle".

So buyer beware and just go into a K1600 with your eyes open and armed with knowledge. Oh yeah, forget any kind of resale value. I'm gonna lose my ass getting rid of my K1600.

Rick

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
I understand the desire for comfy, what I don't understand is the desire-(not necessarily yours), of wanting/having car like comfort on a bike and sacrificing at least to some extent what a bike is about.
remember your own words :)....it's not what matters to you but what matters to the other guy. there are many out there (validated by the numbers of RT/Goldwing/Concours/GT type bikes on the road) that like that sort of quality, and right now in my riding career i don't, but i can at least appreciate it. i owned a BMW RT for a brief while, it doesn't give up much in riding characteristic/performance terms, but it did have a car-like feel to it which just wasn't for me. remember, what we might feel may not be the same that some other rider does, "car like" may not even be a descriptive in their vocabulary.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ever consider a more vintage bike for touring? Some of the best miles I ever spent were on either a 1980 Guzzi G5 or a 1976 R90S. Both really comfortable bikes that had 'ok' handling, but not near as much power as modern bikes. You can still do 80 mph all day on them. And it's easy enough to put modern shocks and give them a modest boost in power.
Plus, they are hell of easy to work on. I did valve adjustments and oil changes in campgrounds. I helped a fellow replace his clutch (SP1000) in a campground one time. That was entertaining!

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
remember your own words :)....it's not what matters to you but what matters to the other guy. there are many out there (validated by the numbers of RT/Goldwing/Concours/GT type bikes on the road) that like that sort of quality, and right now in my riding career i don't, but i can at least appreciate it. i owned a BMW RT for a brief while, it doesn't give up much in riding characteristic/performance terms, but it did have a car-like feel to it which just wasn't for me. remember, what we might feel may not be the same that some other rider does, "car like" may not even be a descriptive in their vocabulary.
Yes absolutely, I would never beat up a persons ride or choice there of, who am I to say. Ride what makes ya happy. And I truly do love all bikes and would be a proud owner any. Much as I hate to admit it the V-Strom looks like a bike I could like alot. (just don't tell anyone) lol Just my own personal musings and food for thought, worth the price paid for it. Nada :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts