Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is getting towards the end of the riding season here. I was thinking about a trip to the mountains, maybe trailer the bike up and ride for a few days. Took a look at the rear last night and its on the wear bars. The sides still have some tread left in them and I don't ride in the rain. So my question is this; should I be OK or am I pushing it? My heart says to go ride, my head says get a new rear and the wife just frowns :eek:

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
You'll be fine. Go ride it. I recently have graduated from the 'Desmo Demon' school of tireology. I ride em till I see metal.;)

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Just the opposite of Metalhead, I rarely run mine down all the way to the wear indicators. Where I live the tires always wear flat in the middle and when they get square it affects the feel and handling of the bike. To me nothing feels quite so good as a new set of tires. But, I also have a tire machine and change my own so it’s not such a big deal to do so.

·
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks metalhead,
I will install a rear mounted camera so I can watch for signs of metal showing :eek:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm with Duckman, I change the rubber when it gets close to the wear bars. Once the bars are involved the belts start showing very soon after. And once that happens, ugly things happen quickly.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
I replace mine when the when the wear bars start showing. Other than an accident, nothing can ruin a trip more than having to worry about tires when you should be concentrating on riding.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Don't know if it's all in my head but the tires seem to wear out really fast once down to the wear bars. I always replace soon after.

A tire changer is a wonderful thing to have and with what shops charge to do em. not a bad investment if you ride a lot.

Chris

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I put so many miles on mine, I don't manage to change the tire until I see chord. I watch them fairly closely but the time span between wear indicators showing and chord showing seems really short.

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
For me they wear faster too but also have a nasty habit of acquiring punctures.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I get 10,000KM out of my rear tire and just swapped my front at 19,000KM which is pretty good. I'm in Canada and a new rear installed was $450 so I try to squeeze every last kilometer out of them.

·
8,971 Posts
This rear came off my bike today:

Chuck, are you serious? Ya can't get any more mileage out of that tire? Really?

I'm not being a smartass I swear. But I'd ride that tire a WHOLE lot more.

By the way. Is that the surface of the moon you're on? It looks weird.

:D

·
Registered
150 Posts
I also don't let my tires get past the wear bars and will even swap out early if I have a big trip (1000+) miles just so I don't have to worry about it and to enjoy new rubber on the trip.

A couple of years ago I mentioned to the tech (also a friend) who was changing my tires that I was considering running them on one more trip as I was just at the wear bars but decided to go ahead and swap them anyway. After he was done changing them, he brought over my worn rear tire and told me to place my left forefinger in the center of the tire tread, and then to reach inside with my right hand and place that forefinger at the same spot. He then asked me how much rubber I felt. I replied, not much to which he replied, well that is all there is keeping your ass on the road! His point was well taken. It ain't worth the increased risks.

Rick G

·
comrade moderator
27,342 Posts
That's exactly right. When they get down to this point (roughly), the odds of a flat greatly increase. That's 6000 miles, and the flat center is the result of a couple of back to back 550 mile days.

OK, I'm a wussie and scared to lean over! :eek: I couldn't drag my knee if I was nowhere near the bike!

·
8,971 Posts
That's exactly right. When they get down to this point (roughly), the odds of a flat greatly increase. That's 6000 miles, and the flat center is the result of a couple of back to back 550 mile days.

OK, I'm a wussie and scared to lean over! :eek: I couldn't drag my knee if I was nowhere near the bike!
Ok, you know I wasn't busting your chops.:) 6000? That's a pretty good run for a set of tires. Plus, you do ride long distances don't ya? Yep, I guess it was time.

·
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all of the replies.
Common sense should tell ya when its your butt hanging off that bike as you fly into that perfect sweeper that tire is all there is between you and the unforgiving pavement. I was hoping for some kind of dark secret I was unaware of to keep me on the road without spending the money right now. I wonder where the wife hid that change jar:D

·
Premium Member
12,402 Posts
I got 6000 km from the rear and was going to the dealer for some advice about when to change tires, I was going to check the pressere and there was the cord... I was "AT SPEED" less than 100kms before that with a plug and patch in it ... I think I'll change it before that happens next time....I consider myself Lucky, very Lucky

Chuckracer I think you are just about right on the money for the change time...

·
comrade moderator
27,342 Posts
I've certainly run them longer then this when I'm poor and milking them for all they're worth, but ideally I don't push it too far.

There's nothing better than new tires!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts