Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a Monster S4R S (I really like the Tricolore paint scheme) but, I also want to consider the Street Fighter. The ~20HP difference isn't a big concern to me but, since I haven't seen a Street Fighter yet I don't know what else is really different.

I want a motorcycle that will work well in daily commutes and be reasonable for longer "once a year" trips. I don't need the luggage capacity of a mini-van (I travel very light) so, factory hard bags are not a deciding factor for me.

Lightweight and good handling are the key attributes I'm looking for in my new ride. This also assumes the engine has reasonable power and torque, a great suspension and brakes, and good street manners for daily commuter runs while retaining good handling for more spirited runs (though no track days). While I don't want want a full fairing, I do want something that will keep the wind pressure off my chest at speed and reduce cold air blasts when I ride in freezing temperatures.

Thanks!
Sid

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Lightweight and good handling are the key attributes I'm looking for in my new ride. This also assumes the engine has reasonable power and torque, a great suspension and brakes, and good street manners for daily commuter runs while retaining good handling for more spirited runs (though no track days). While I don't want want a full fairing, I do want something that will keep the wind pressure off my chest at speed and reduce cold air blasts when I ride in freezing temperatures.
This to me sounds like a Multistrada 1100s with Ohlins

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This to me sounds like a Multistrada 1100s with Ohlins
Yes, I'm trying to warm up to the Multistrada but, something about it keeps me from considering it more. Heck, the Kawasaki Versys would be another option but, I can't warm up to that one either.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Yes, I'm trying to warm up to the Multistrada but, something about it keeps me from considering it more. Heck, the Kawasaki Versys would be another option but, I can't warm up to that one either.
About 5 years ago I called my brother and told him I bought a Ducati. He was really excited, I didn't think he even knew of the brand. His introduction was back in the late 60s when he was touring Europe with his second or third wife. At one point they were stopped in traffic when he heard the distinctive sound of a yet to be identified motorcycle approaching them. He loved the sound of the bike and was able to get close enough to it to read the nameplate: Ducati. Apparently a few days after I told him about the Duc I bought, he headed down to the local Ducati dealer to check out the bikes. There was one bike in there that really impressed him, it was the Multistrada. I knew of the bike and from what I knew I didn't like at first. Like many, I thought the bike was funky looking. However, like many as time passed I began to appreciate more and more what the bike could do, what it was capable of doing. It literally captured the difinition of form and function at its best. Over the next 4 to 5 years I had many a good experience with Ducati superbikes, but there was something lacking. Eventually and especially after a horrific accident I had in 05, I wanted a bike that could take me anywhere in comfort and handle like a superbike if I wanted it to. Enter the Multistrada. In time you learn to appreciate its features which overshadow those negative opinions you had about its looks. Sometimes when I ride the bike I reflect back on how I used to judge it and now here I am sitting on one.

Soon after buying the bike I went on a shakedown cruise with two other new Multi owners from this forum. We met up with a group I've ridden with many times in the past. A collection of mainly Asian bikes and many of the riders were either previous or current AFM (club racers) members. I wanted to check out the suspension so I joined the lead group on some roads known for being on the bumpy side. On a superbike the roads challenged you big time, but on the Multi, the bike flattened them out. I kind of knew this going in from previous research, but I wanted to experience it first hand. Actually, prior to that day I had not been on a motorcycle that much the previous 3 years because of the accident. But on that day I was right with the lead group and so was one of my buddies from this forum. I knew we were clipping along but I couldn't slow down, the bike was so comfortable and so confidence inspiring, it was a blast. At the rest stop some of the guys were impressed with the bikes, one saying "those bikes can fly, even with saddlebags on" My suspension test was a success. The Multi is a tough bike to beat on lumpy twisty roads. I honestly think if a more competent rider was on mine, he would have checked out on the group if he wanted to.

I would say generally speaking the bike is more fun to ride than any of my previous bikes. That is over the long run. The 916 and 999S were fun on the obvious roads, the MTS is fun on all roads. It has allowed me to extend my riding distance from home, this is what I wanted in a bike before I bought it, or I should say I traded for it with the 916. And with my nature to upgrade and dump mods on bikes, you can do a few nice things to them. Mine is the S model, meaning Ohlins all around and cf bits. To me the S model is a must, depending on the type of riding you do. The power of the 1100 2v motor is impressive.

Don't count out the MTS in your search and the way I read your first post and others interpreted it as well, the bike you are looking for describes the MTS to a T. Lastly, because you are in the upright position on the bike, this allows you more freedom to see around you, much more. This is critical if you use the bike alot for commuting or in traffic. The mirrors are at best OK, fabulous compared to the 999.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I went to a couple of motorcycle shops and tried on a few rides. One of them was a 1000cc Multistrada (2007 model I think) and it was just too tall for me. The web specs say it has a seat height of 33.5 inches and my KLX-250S is 34.0 but, I was more unstable on the MTS I think because it is wider through the frame. In all fairness though, the MTS rear suspension didn't sag at all either.

The Japanese middleweight sport tourers seemed to fit me well but, they seemed awful "utilitarian" and mundane compared to the Ducati S4R. The Ducati clearly had better suspension and brakes.

In reviewing some Street Fighter specifications, I found it very interesting that the S4R has more engine output below ~8K then the larger and more powerful Street Fighter power plant. The Street Fighter does seem to have an advantage with the new electronic rider aids ("nannies").

·
Registered
44 Posts
Today I went to a couple of motorcycle shops and tried on a few rides. One of them was a 1000cc Multistrada (2007 model I think) and it was just too tall for me. The web specs say it has a seat height of 33.5 inches and my KLX-250S is 34.0 but, I was more unstable on the MTS I think because it is wider through the frame. In all fairness though, the MTS rear suspension didn't sag at all either.

The Japanese middleweight sport tourers seemed to fit me well but, they seemed awful "utilitarian" and mundane compared to the Ducati S4R. The Ducati clearly had better suspension and brakes.

In reviewing some Street Fighter specifications, I found it very interesting that the S4R has more engine output below ~8K then the larger and more powerful Street Fighter power plant. The Street Fighter does seem to have an advantage with the new electronic rider aids ("nannies").
did you take a look / test ride a monster 1100S? You'd be greatly amazed..

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
I'm looking at a Monster S4R S (I really like the Tricolore paint scheme) but, I also want to consider the Street Fighter. The ~20HP difference isn't a big concern to me but, since I haven't seen a Street Fighter yet I don't know what else is really different.

I want a motorcycle that will work well in daily commutes and be reasonable for longer "once a year" trips. I don't need the luggage capacity of a mini-van (I travel very light) so, factory hard bags are not a deciding factor for me.

Thanks!
Sid
Things I prefer on the S4Rs to the SFs

1) I own the S4R
2) Prefer the red trellis frame
3) Prefer the smaller side mounted mufflers
4) Already has way more power than I can use, but behaves like a tame puppy when I need it to. No problem weaving between cars in traffic jams, peds, or other slow situations.
5) Has optional larger front fairing I find effective (SF may have this too?)

The one thing I regret is the eeny-teeny fuel tank.

G

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Things I prefer on the S4Rs to the SFs

5) Has optional larger front fairing I find effective (SF may have this too?)

The one thing I regret is the eeny-teeny fuel tank.

G
Where does the air flow hit you with the larger fairing? Do you have a picture with the larger fairing mounted?

Gas tank size:
All of the "naked" motorcycles I have looked at had 3.6 gallon (14L) or slightly larger gas tanks. I'm guessing this gives me a range of about 120 miles. My other motorcycle has a range of about 120 miles too but, since it is an enduro I installed an aftermarket gas tank and got my range up to 170 miles. That extra 50 miles of range makes a huge difference where I ride this motorcycle because I ride in remote areas where a gas station may be 40 miles away. If that station is closed I don't have any good options. At least with a street only motorcycle, I'm apt to find gas stations more frequently that are open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Long stretches in West Texas, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, and Arizona shouldn't be too much of a problem on main roads but, I certainly would be more comfortable with a 5 Gallon (20L) gas tank.

Best Regards,
Sid

1 - 9 of 9 Posts