Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious how the 950 handles in comparison to the 1200 or 1260? the 950 has a larger front wheel and I'm curious if this changes the handling. My 2015 Multi S handles like a dream and I'm curious if the 950 is similar.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
good question... weight and geometry basically the same... should be close (though the larger wheel will have some impact). When I rode the Enduro with the 19" wheel the bike felt quite a bit slower handling - but it is also a taller and heavier bike. I think you might notice the difference riding one after another but on it's own the 950 probably feels great in the twisties.

I think of it like a 1200 permanently in low power mode... which is still a completely rideable bike, just one you won't be tempted to get stupid on. :)

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I'm curious how the 950 handles in comparison to the 1200 or 1260? the 950 has a larger front wheel and I'm curious if this changes the handling. My 2015 Multi S handles like a dream and I'm curious if the 950 is similar.
Interesting that the threads this morning revolves around handling. Doesn't your dealer have a few demos which you can ride and decide?
I've put many hundreds of miles on my dealers many demo MTS 1200's over the last two years. I love the Multi and as a result, I just purchased a 1260.
Back to handling, Ducati has changed the geometry and lengthen the wheelbase for 2018 where I was concerned about losing that great flickability. Consequently, I sacrificed the skyhook for the lighter forged Marchesini wheels and Ohlins suspension on the Pikes Peak edition hoping to compensate.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 2012 Sport (with Ohlins) and I rented a 950 for 10 days a couple of months ago to do a ride through the Pyrenees in Spain and France. It had panniers and top box loaded up for a trip of that type.

Overall I found the handling very good. It was noticeably lighter and quite nimble. The suspension is obviously not quite as good as my bike but once I had the preload correctly dialled in, it was a breeze. The only issue I felt was the difference in the tyres. I run Angel GT’s and the standard tyres on the 950 did not give me the same sure footedness that I am used to. A lot had to do with the fact that the tyres were about 2/3 worn and a little square so It felt reluctant to tip in - this could have been compounded a little by the 19” front wheel I guess. The suspension does a fine job on smooth roads but on some of the backroads in France were really bumpy and the 950 really struggled to give a good ride. My riding partner was on a KTM 1050 Adventure and it did a far better job on the bumpy stuff then the 950.

I would say in summary that you should have no reservations about the 950’s handling at all. It’s just a matter of getting used to it. It’s a great bike, a bit easier to handle then a 1200 in tight conditions, a lot lighter on fuel, tyres and chains and sprockets and if I where buying a new Multi today, I would give is vey serious consideration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
299 Posts
Very interested to see reviews for the 2019 950 S, I could see that being a good option for a lot of people. :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had a 2014 1200 Touring S with the bells and whistles. Once the Skyhook was dialed in it was great (but all those settings to mess with) and handled the power with ease. I still felt the bike was a little top heavy with or without my Givi top box.
Now I have a 950 with the spoked wheels and feel it handles better than the 1200 did all due to the weight distribution. It steers on a par with the 1200, feels equally as planted when leaned over and the suspension is more than capable of handling getting on the power when leaned over. Obviously, there's a difference in outright acceleration but I really don't find the 950 lacking, even after riding the 1200. In fact, I think it's more fun because it doesn't have all the gimmicks of lean angle ABS and traction control, it's a more raw riding experience. I feel the 1200 was a bit stifled by the technology, and the 950 doesn't suffer from that at all. The only bit I really think thay should have included is a Cruise Control.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Just sold my well set up 2010 Ohlins Multistrada (86,000kms) and brought a 2021 950S, and i can say with confidence the 950 out handles the 1200 easily in the corners, especially the tighter corners, and the latest incarnation of the SACHs Sky hook is amazing. the 950 doesn't feel any lighter, but its much more nimble once rolling. I had thoughts about waiting and getting the V4, but in reality i didn't need more power for this style of riding i want to use the multi for. (have a 2020 1290R with 170 rwhp for thrills) my 950 is for touring with the wife, and for me solo to do back country roads and a little gravel. 550kms on the first day on the 950, 720 kms over 2 days so need to book first service. The 950 is a great handling bike. Loving it so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts