Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to remove the pannier brackets to clean up the tail of the bike. Where do you mount the pipes once the brackets are gone? Is there a way you can make this a quick change so I can use the panniers for work and take them off on the weekends.
:think:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Once the mounting brackets are gone, the pipes will mount on the lower part of the passenger footpeg assembly. As far as I can tell, there's not really a way to do this quickly. However, I seem to recall that at least one member of the forum built a set of bracket mounts that could be easily removed.

Also, make sure you have the spacers installed or the mounting bracket for the pips will hit your swing arm. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
When the bags are removed, the pipes can be raised with the brackets still on. Remove the bolt that mounts the muffler, raise it up about 3 or 4" at the exh end, and look to see where the bolt goes back in!

You'll need about 5mm of washers (5mm stacked height) to keet the bolts from going in too deep--I think this is what touches the swingarm.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not hard to remove the bag mounts for weekends. Remove three bolts per side then raise pipes to passenger footpegs and tighten those two bolts. Takes 10-15 minutes while drinking a cup of coffee early on Saturday morning.:)

·
Destinations are optional
576 Posts
Is there a way you can make this a quick change so I can use the panniers for work and take them off on the weekends?
If you do a search for 'pannier brackets', you'll discover that the number one problem with removal/replacement of the brackets seems to be lining up the holes. Read this thread to start. I addressed this by slightly enlarging a couple of the holes with a dremel -- problem solved nicely. IMO the connectors for the lights were unnecessarily clumsy, requiring a pair of needlenose for best leverage. I eliminated the problem completely with Posi-Lock connectors, which I use to replace virtually all OEM in-line connectors.

As always, there's no substitute for practice, experimentation, and flexible creativity. BTW, I also prefer bags-off for both the aesthetics and to accommodate my aggressive riding style. Sorted out, it's an easy 15 minutes on or off. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts