Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2007 ST3 used. It didn't come with the helmet cable or tool bag. I ordered the tool bag thinking the helmet cable comes with it, but it didn't. Do you use the helmet cable or have you found a better way to lock your helmet?

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I always keep my side bags attached and carry a cheap bicycle combo lock. Run the cable through the frame. Works well to lock you jacket up like this too. Run the cable through the sleeve, through the helmet and it's good. I wouldn't leave it like that overnight or in a bad neighborhood but walking around a new town, etc... it works.

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
I use handcuffs: one manacle locks the D ring of the helmet and the other locks the grab bar behind the rear seat. You can lock two helmets together by locking one manacle through the D ring of one helmet, slide the cuffs under the grab bar, then lock the second manacle through the D ring of the second helemt. One helmet sits on the rear seat while the other hangs over the rear fender.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I use handcuffs: one manacle locks the D ring of the helmet and the other locks the grab bar behind the rear seat. You can lock two helmets together by locking one manacle through the D ring of one helmet, slide the cuffs under the grab bar, then lock the second manacle through the D ring of the second helemt. One helmet sits on the rear seat while the other hangs over the rear fender.
The only problem with handcuffs is so many people have a key. I know I've carried one since I worked in security 30+ years ago. The U shaped lock under the seat on the ST3 can be used also. Locking the helmet through the face shield opening around the chin bar works well.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I got one of those thick, 6', vinyl coated "snake" type cable locks at Lowes. Under $20 and uses a key. I keep it in one of my bags then easily lock 2 full face helmets and jackets to the bike through the rear passenger grab handle. Works fantastically.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,072 Posts
I dont'. I'm always looking for a good excuse for the wife to let me get a new one :)

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
When my top box is full I use a retractable ski lock with a combination. I run the cable through the holes in my Pazzo brake lever and leave the helmet on the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In my issue of FastBikes I got a freebie helmet lock cable. I'm sure you can find one on ebay or something relatively cheap. Just loop it on the frame, wheel, etc.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I use a retractable cable lock that has a 4 digit combination. Bought it from Rider Warehouse / Areostitch a few years back. It extends to 6' and is long enough to lock up a jacket (through the sleeve) and helmet (through the D-ring) to the bike through a frame section or the rear grab rail. It won't stop a thief who REALLY wants your gear, but will discourage him and force the casual theif to go on to the next bike.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I always keep my side bags attached and carry a cheap bicycle combo lock. Run the cable through the frame. Works well to lock you jacket up like this too. Run the cable through the sleeve, through the helmet and it's good. I wouldn't leave it like that overnight or in a bad neighborhood but walking around a new town, etc... it works.
+1 I've used this system for years as well. When the wife is along, her jacket sleeve goes inside mine and connects both helmets together. If you do it right, your jacket covers and hides the helmets. Since I've never used the U lock that came with the bike, I should remove it for an easy weight loss.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sans-Panniers

Got bummed out by my buds beating to me to the bar stool by an hour or two because of my my vintage factory over engineered yet minimalist I-talion twenty miiiiillion pound tensile strength mafia proof helmet holder...that always touched my paint!!!!!
A few bucks and a trip to Cycle Gear In Manchester Ct... bought a helmet lock with the wrong diameter for Duc frame and fasteners to short that necessitated a quick trip to Home D-blow for longer fasteners. Installed with an almost innocuous look. I angled it upward, helmet rests on left foot peg.
They still beat me to the bar stool but now its because I stop and look back and pleasure how wild a Duc looks beside all other other bikes. Here's some pics....

Attachments

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have expensive helmets (because only the oval shaped Arai fit my head) and I rarely lock my helmet up. I need to replace them due to old age rather than theft. Never had a helmet stolen. Maybe because I buy white ones. I want to be seen on the road and those multi-colored race replicas look like camo to me.

Anyone who steals a helmet is a real loser. If you see anyone doing this, please beat them up for me.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
In my issue of FastBikes I got a freebie helmet lock cable. I'm sure you can find one on ebay or something relatively cheap. Just loop it on the frame, wheel, etc.
I use the same Fastbikes cable lock or the flimsy stock cable, whatever is easiest at the time.
Now that I have the panniers attached, I probably will put the helmet inside the pannier.

Good advice there, with using the long bicycle cable to put through the sleeve of jackets & helmet as well.

Craig

1 - 13 of 13 Posts