Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

How Do You Lock Your Bike?

3K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  sergeantnic 
#1 ·
I am getting things ready for my ride from CO to Austin TX for MotoGP next week and I started thinking about how to secure the bike. My primary worry are the nights I will be staying in Amarillo on the way out and the way back, as the bike will be outside in the hotel parking lot, and Amarillo is not known as a bastion of safety and security.

Before everyone answers with "just use the steering lock", just know that it is not an option. Ever since my last trip home from Austin when the steering lock would not release, resulting in a very expensive tow from Amarillo to Albuquerque, I have not had that option. Even though the lock/keyless mechanism was replaced, it no longer works, and I would not trust in to release in any case.

So, the question remains; without the use of the steering lock, how would you secure the bike? I am interested in all opinions and experiences!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Just park in the drive through area by the front door. Don’t ask if you can or they will say no. Just do it and no one will say anything.

PS: if someone really wants to steal it there is really nothing you can do to stop it. Locks only stop stupid kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#11 ·
X2 - parking near an area with lights/visibility and occasional foot traffic is my m.o. I usually make small talk to figure out if someone's going to be manning the reception area at night. I've used a disc lock as well, but it was never triggered...

In the end I'm always glad when I wake up and it's still there.

#4 ·
I agree with Mike, little will deter the determined thief. They'll just pick up the bike and toss it in the back of a truck. A brake rotor lock will keep them from rolling it away...if it has an alarm, it should draw attention depending upon where you park. The next level of defense is to fasten the bike to something. This poses two issues: what to lock it to; lugging around a big hunk of chain or cable. I guess it boils down to what is going to make you feel comfortable.

#5 · (Edited)
I had a trailer stolen off the back of my truck in the driveway. I had two fairly large Master locks on the hitch and the chains under the hitch. They just cut through them with a bolt cutter and off they went.

I was just wstching a YouTube video about how you can cut through those stranded steel, plastic covered cable locks with a pair of regular wires cutters in a couple of minutes.

I used to have a U shaped wheel lock with a motion sensitive alarm and pager. I hoped it would at least page me the moment they moved it so I could at least react. Never had it go off so dont know if it would really work or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#6 ·
Had the same concern when I rode back from Laguna Seca. I used a disk lock with a alarm and got a room on the first floor. Parked my bike in front of the window on the walkway, nobody said a thing. Oh I also brought my bike cover which I can also lock.
But when it comes down to it if a thief wants it bad enough they’ll probably get it.

#13 ·
Nice link, thanks for sharing that!

Interesting he mentions locating and removing LoJack. When I worked at Chicago Cycle we sold a ton of those. It was expensive, but worth it, and it used to be pretty effective before the thieves figured out how to locate and remove. I would argue that nowadays it's just not effective as it used to be. There are systems out there now that are personal private tracking devices that you can get for $100 or less. You can hide it yourself, which makes it very difficult to find since everyone is different. They are small, and have nice backup batteries so when power is cut the signal remains. Tracking goes right to an app in your phone to share with law enforcement.

Won't stop the theft but certainly increases a chance of recovery. The problem that remains is that if someone took it and trashed it, would you want it back...? Depending on the damage, it may never be the same bike again if insurance paid to fix it.

#14 ·
Brakedisc locks are great, but make sure to get one that is hard to cut. Not sure how your Insurance works, but here in Sweden the bike must be locket with two approved locks, one of which can be the steeringlock.

I use an ABUS Detecto on my MTS and they fit well and are fully integrated. No remote or anything and they run off standard AAA batteries availble everywhere. Will fit under the seat with the toolbag, so no issues about carrying around with my.
For added safety, you can get a second smaller lock and put it on the rear disc. Much harder to get at that lock if the thieves are using a batterypowered grinder, which is how they steal them here in the EU.
Ask me how I know..

Neither will help if they show up in a van and just pull the bike inside, but thats normally reserved for the really high end or HD bikes. A multistrada isnt exactly the first choice for a proffesional I think.
If thats the case, its the idiots you need to fend off.

I´ve also installed a GPS tracker AND gotten some nice "GPS TRACKER" stickers to put on the tank next to the key"button". Where to install it? I took my rear taillight piece out, split it and put it inside. That way it can recgarge the battery from the leads to the numberplate light and it is not even remotly visible to thieves.

#15 ·
My Dremel 8220 with a cut off wheel can defeat most locks pretty quickly. Put your locks in as awkward a location as you can find. Park in a well lit , well traveled spot or as close to your room as you can.

#17 ·
Staying out of city centers is your best bet.

The thiefs in the suburban areas are mostly tweakers and are looking for something easy to pawn or sell.

It takes a special thief to steal a motorcycle. Those scumbags are found in/near city centers and there's nothing you can do to stop them.

Having stayed in Hotels at least 50 times, park near the entrance; well lit and having security cameras is ur best bet. Nothing has ever happened to me or my friends.

Relax, you'll be fine!

PS; Rolling it in your room! -- I like that idea!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.