Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need some advice on riding and how to stand the Hypermotard up through corners and stay off the edge of the tires.

I've done many track days on sport bikes and have no problem hanging off and dragging a knee through corners, but the Hypermotard is a different animal.

When hanging off on a sport bike, one can brace against the tank to keep weight off the handlebars, maintain a light touch and avoid unintended steering input. But the HM's bars are too high and I can't figure out how to hang off without putting weight on the bars.

As a result, I can't stand the bike up nearly as much as I'd like and I'm not just dragging knee sliders and foot pegs, the last time at Sonoma Raceway I drug frame sliders too! (don't ask)

Can anyone offer any tips?

Thanks!

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
I know when I am at the track with the 821, I"m at the Hyper's max lean angle { with stock pegs }. As far as steering imputs go, you just have to get used to the ergonomics of the bike. I tried riding it sumo style, that did not go too well :surprise: So sportbike style it is for me.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Here I am hanging out at Mid-Ohio when KTM did their Ride Orange track days. Best deal ever.
$275 got you a bike (mostly RC8's), fuel, mechanics and an instructor. It all went away when Ryan Dungey needed a transporter.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
I know when I am at the track with the 821, I"m at the Hyper's max lean angle { with stock pegs }. As far as steering imputs go, you just have to get used to the ergonomics of the bike. I tried riding it sumo style, that did not go too well :surprise: So sportbike style it is for me.
Great pic HyperFreak, and I have to agree with you too. Not much of a way around it, the ergonomics are weird, I don't necessarily like it either, it feels like a lot more work having to exaggerate how much you get off the bike especially with the horrible ground clearance of my 1st gen (even with Sato rearsets in their highest and most rearward position). I did install some small StompGrips on my bike so I feel like I have some decent grip with my legs, but, it is what it is.

To the PO, have you heard the recommendation that regardless of the style of bike you should imagine the grip is a screwdriver when you're at relatively deep leans? It really helped me...

Track_Day_TTD_Thompson_9-23-14c1-1019-2 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr
Track_Day_TTD_Thompson_9-23-14c1-847 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr

·
Registered
324 Posts
^ How did you like that 990 compared to your EVO ?
Apologies for the hijack but here you go.

At the time I was a 2008 990 Superduke owner. I really really enjoyed that motor but the ergos on the SD, although not extreme, didn't fit me. Having issues with my left knee and the subtly placed Superduke's rearsets, I fit a standard type motorcycle better. I went to that track day in 2011 and was sold on getting a KTM 990 SM-R by the end of the day.

I need to mention that the first bike I rode that day was an RC8. Totally did not fit me. They had three SM-R's to try out and nobody was using them. Out of the six track sessions that day, I rode the SM-R five of them. I was stoked and tried to sell the SD for but no takers. I finally sold the SD in 2013 and the Hyper came soon after.

I always wanted an 1100 Hyper. Wanted one since 2007 when they were first unveiled and wanted that air cooled motor.
The Hyper is more raw for lack of a better term. The 990 felt more refined. The Hyper as you know is a unique beast. Where I sat in the SM-R, the Hyper feels like I am sitting on top of it, like a horse. I like them both for what they are but they are very different. The Hyper is a better looking bike in my opinion. I like them both.

When I took my MSF course back in 2008 (I was a re-entry rider after a 30 year hiatus) one of the instructors had both an 1100 Hyper and a 990 SD.
His opinion, both great, both unique and both a blast to ride. Lucky SOB.

Back to the thread topic and the OP's question. I see no issues with your ability to but down some serious laps after seeing that picture.
Obviously an accomplished rider. Like the thread. Carry on.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was same boat as HyperFreak. Don't know about other riders, but I've noticed that the right side foot-brake lever will hit before the left-foot shifter. I just started leaning off the bike more, so I didn't create so much lean angle and stopped grinding hard parts. In addition, I started to point my toe out just a bit, so when I hit my toe sliders I know I'm as far as I want to go before I start hitting hard parts. Notice I actually lean so far off that my off-side foot sometimes won't be on the peg lol.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I really need some advice on riding and how to stand the Hypermotard up through corners and stay off the edge of the tires.

I've done many track days on sport bikes and have no problem hanging off and dragging a knee through corners, but the Hypermotard is a different animal.

When hanging off on a sport bike, one can brace against the tank to keep weight off the handlebars, maintain a light touch and avoid unintended steering input. But the HM's bars are too high and I can't figure out how to hang off without putting weight on the bars.

As a result, I can't stand the bike up nearly as much as I'd like and I'm not just dragging knee sliders and foot pegs, the last time at Sonoma Raceway I drug frame sliders too! (don't ask)

Can anyone offer any tips?

Thanks!

Steve

Figured out on the hyper you don`t really need to drag much knee. you can still grind pegs at pretty good angle without your knee touching the ground much and will take the turn nicely.
It also helps if you take the hand guards for better hand positioning when turning.

on the hanging out part, it takes more work than a sports bike on the outside leg pressed against the frame/tank and weight on the inner peg.. but carefull when using weight in the inner peg and you scraping it on the ground.

Cheers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, I just have to ask, what is "sumo style"?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice picture of your tire but that doesn't mean your dragging frame sliders Dude.
Dude ;-), sorry if I wasn't clear, I wasn't riding around the track dragging my frame sliders.

The photo of my tire was to show how far I was leaning over before I slid off the track and did drag the frame sliders!

I might just need a sticker tire. :-o

BTW, sorry for re-posting this reply over and over (if anyone noticed), I was trying to insert the photo but couldn't get it to show up in the post, attaching it instead.

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
Will higher up and further back rearsets help? I'm guessing with higher up pegs, your outer foot won't lift off when applying weight on the inner peg heading into the turn??

·
Registered
24 Posts
I might just need a sticker tire. :-o
+1 on that.

It looks like the tire you've been using is a road/sport tire. These are brilliant on the road, but on the track, they just heat up too much (road tires are silica compounds as used in car winter tires) and then you fall. You might get pretty far with some sport tires (i.e. Metzeler M7RR, Conti SportAttack) if it's spring temperatures (~20°C), but not with others (Michelin Pilot Power).

Go one step up: Street legal race tires (Pirelli Supercorsa SP, Metzeler Racetec K3, Conti RaceAttack Comp. Endurance) - but be careful as hell with them if they're cold. For the track, better buy tire warmers.

- Philip

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don't think I can adjust to sliding my boots around the track. I'm more of a knee down kind of rider. I'd also rather thrash my $50 pair of knee sliders, vs killing my $400 race boots.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm slowly converting my Duke 690 to all track. I had an idea of keeping one bike for both street and track, but that just never seems to work out right. :p Much like with the Hyper, I was dragging footpeg endlessly on the Duke. Rearsets worked magic, and slightly lower bars. That being said, the two things that are really different (for me) with upright bars on the track vs clip-ons is a: the 'screwdriver' hand-grip thing is much more important for the former, and b: leaning my chin towards the end of the bar. The lower my upper body, the better the bike works.

Also, tank grip pads are a must to keep a light grip on the bars. Stomp Grip or Tech Spec.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts