Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a new oil drain bolt for my 748 and am stumped on how to drill it. There is no raised portion of the bolt to drill through. I thought about perhaps angling it through the portion that is sunken for the hex wrench, but I'm not sure that will work. I guess I should post a photo of the bolt in question, but if you know the answer to this question you already know what the bolt looks like!

Anyone have a suggestion or have a photo of a Superbike drain bole drilled for safety wire?

Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
These Billet Magnetic Drain Plugs are a little easier to drill since the middle is dished out.

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=38%7CAluminum%20Billet&productID=1924&showDetail=1&categoryID=48|Billet%20%20Most%20Late%20Model%20Ducatis&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=168%7CEuropean%20Motorcycle%20Parts

·
Registered
15 Posts
or you could do what I did and drill at an angle through the bolt head and safety that way wasn't sure it would work but it does, and that was the only answer I got when I asked about a year ago, but be sure you practice first or your new drain bolt could turn to scrap metal.
P.S. If I had it to do over I would have purchased a hex head plug with a rubber o-ring and drilled that

·
Registered
59 Posts
1stduc said:
or you could do what I did and drill at an angle through the bolt head and safety that way wasn't sure it would work but it does, and that was the only answer I got when I asked about a year ago, but be sure you practice first or your new drain bolt could turn to scrap metal.
P.S. If I had it to do over I would have purchased a hex head plug with a rubber o-ring and drilled that
That is exactly what i did to mine, and i m lucky, i m a dentist so i had an old drill that allowed me to cut a small hole very easily, just cant figure out how do bill for that...... :D

·
Registered
462 Posts
Lockhart Phillips sells pre-drilled plugs, not magneting but one could be added as above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts