Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Does anybody know the procedure to test a fuel level sensor ?
Bike : 998S Final Edition
Symptom : fuel light doesn't come on at all
Bike has been in storage for years (foreign assignment).

Before I pay >100$ for a new one, I'd like to check whether this can be tested/repaired.

Thank you !

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
First check if the dash light works. Then check the wiring continuity to the sender circuit. The sender is a magnetic on or off. It either works or doesn’t. I keep a new one all the time and its the first thing I plug it in if a bike comes from n with a “fuel level” problem. In all the years I’ve been working on these things I’ve stopped trying to fix the sender unit just not worth the time and agro. If it doesn’t work after a few taps it’s in the bin.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
they have a delay on them, so you need to power it up and i usually shake them around a bit to make it work. the vibration helps. so put 12v into terminal 3 and a globe between terminal 4 and the battery earth. after 25 seconds or so the light should come on. you could use a test light.

if it doesn't work, as rob says, just bin it.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Before I pay >100$ for a new one, I'd like to check whether this can be tested/repaired.
Having tried many iterations of Ducati's lousy fuel level sensor before giving up on it, here are my test/repair options.

1. Throw it out.

2. Run it over with your truck. Then throw it out.

3. Bypass the stupid thing and use the trip meter as rough gas gauge.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your replies. I had already checked whether the light works. Affirmative.
Not in the mood to keep a stash of items with a design failure, so I may just start filling up every 100 miles...

·
Registered
937 Posts
"Not in the mood to keep a stash of items with a design failure, so I may just start filling up every 100 miles... "
Good for you I just cant have something not working on my Bikes.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I made my own. Bought a simple float level switch for $3 (metal float), turned a holder for it that fits in the tank in place of the original.

I have a delay circuit for it as well that I still need to wire in, as it is the thing starts flickering with increasing frequency the lower the fuel gets.

The biggest pain was to make it all fuel proof as it has to have the wire feed through for the pump. I went through a few different epoxies and types of cable before it held tight. I had fuel being syphoned through the insulation of the cable at one point. Now that I type it all out, the whole process wasn't worth it and I'd probably just buy the Ducati part if I had to do it again. Or solder a sight tube to the side of the tank.

·
Registered
432 Posts
First check if the dash light works. Then check the wiring continuity to the sender circuit. The sender is a magnetic on or off. It either works or doesn’t. I keep a new one all the time and its the first thing I plug it in if a bike comes from n with a “fuel level” problem. In all the years I’ve been working on these things I’ve stopped trying to fix the sender unit just not worth the time and agro. If it doesn’t work after a few taps it’s in the bin.
A spare one? ... they’re way overpriced to keep a spare one

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
I also have a collection of tools in my shop that were expensive but rarely used. The price of owning a business. A lot of workshops keep bits and pieces around as it makes diagnoses easier. Sell it to the customer and buy another one. The amount of time I’ve saved by plugging in ecu’s, sensors, fans, chips, instruments etc has saved my brain with trying to find some of the confounding problems Ducati’s have.

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
On a 15 year old bike it's not a design failure.

Spare = expensive? I keep spare cranks, rods, cylinders, pistons, gears, etc. Sort of comes with running an SBK. Ducati or not.
Yep. I think I could build a complete bike and a half with what I’ve collected over the years.😁

·
Registered
432 Posts
I also have a collection of tools in my shop that were expensive but rarely used. The price of owning a business. A lot of workshops keep bits and pieces around as it makes diagnoses easier. Sell it to the customer and buy another one. The amount of time I’ve saved by plugging in ecu’s, sensors, fans, chips, instruments etc has saved my brain with trying to find some of the confounding problems Ducati’s have.
On a 15 year old bike it's not a design failure.

Spare = expensive? I keep spare cranks, rods, cylinders, pistons, gears, etc. Sort of comes with running an SBK. Ducati or not.
Well done to the both of you ...
If you’re operating a business & working on these machines on a day to day basis , then sure , you’ll have tools & spares ... congratulations on operating your business properly.
But to suggest the OP to have a new sender unit on hand just in case his original unit fails , I think is a tad arrogant .
I was recently quoted for a new sender unit & it came in at AU$259 , so excuse me if I said it’s to expensive for a piece of potted plastic & a few wires .

Namor , so going by your opinion , everyone should have cranks, conrods, pistons just laying around purely because they own a superbike ... you actually sound like an elitist flog .
Congratulations

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
Well done to the both of you ...
If you’re operating a business & working on these machines on a day to day basis , then sure , you’ll have tools & spares ... congratulations on operating your business properly.
But to suggest the OP to have a new sender unit on hand just in case his original unit fails , I think is a tad arrogant .
I was recently quoted for a new sender unit & it came in at AU$259 , so excuse me if I said it’s to expensive for a piece of potted plastic & a few wires .

Namor , so going by your opinion , everyone should have cranks, conrods, pistons just laying around purely because they own a superbike ... you actually sound like an elitist flog .
Congratulations
Please point out where I said that the OP or anyone for that matter should keep a new one.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Congratulations
You are right. I probably did sound that way. I didn't mean to. There is humor in my comment as it was meant to be on the dramatic side, and I don't expect anyone, save the few that are at the track all the time, to have half of those parts parts laying around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts