Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting to split and rebuild the calipers on my '97SS. In attempt to blow out the pistons one side came out but leaves the other two in original position. Air now just escapes. Now I want to split the calipers as I have the full rebuild kit. The screws are seized and I have stripped the heads on two. How are the screws removed? Lots of heat or?
Thanks, Stephen

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I replied to your post last week with a link to a thread I made about such things.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SP3, thanks very much. Your thread was extremely helpful! I hadn't read it all before.
Stephen

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
The shorthand version is > drill the bolt heads off. Heat and/or a good soak in a good penetrant (Kroil, etc) MIGHT get them loose. But, I'm almost to the point where I don't even bother trying anymore.

·
Registered
1994 900SS CR, 2002 998 Trackbike
304 Posts
I just plug the extra holes so the air doesn't escape, then blow out the remaining pistons. In my case stuffing some oily shop towel in the vacant cylinders was enough. Then apply air at the orifice closest to the stuck pistons.

You can also put the pistons you already freed back in and hold them in, to get the other stuck pistons out. The ones you already had out will be easier to blow out a second time.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
i'd start with the caliper fitted to the bike, and pump each piston out as far as possible - with the pads in you can pump them until the pads touch and it's pretty easy to get them even.

once they're apart tho, you do what you can. i've used expanding chuck sort of things (slide hammer inserts?) inside the pistons to try to pull them out, heat the body, etc. all fun stuff.

·
Registered
53 Posts
if you get the calipers split and one piston is out, then compressed air, not mechanical force, is your friend. Seat the loose piston back against the seal, then wrap the whole piston is a towel. The towel will prevent the piston from blowing across the room - and catch and brake fluid splatter. Just remove the bleeder and apply the air at hole - or at the pass-through port for the other half. Once you use compressed air, you will never put a tool on a piston again. Easy-peasy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts