Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a large seal ring on the clutch casing directly behind the clutch, and I can't seem to get it off. I don't want to butcher the metal, so can anyone point me in the right direction? It is a 749. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Razor blade? Scraped at a 90 degree angle?
Well, the seal has a metal ring backing that is in contact with the casing. I literally was beating on the inside of the seal where the metal is under the rubber with a screwdriver and a hammer and it would not budge. I think it is pressed in, I might just run up to the ducati dealership and see if they can get it out for me.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Yank the cover off the engine and punch it out from the inside.It will be much easier to install without the primary gear in the way too.Make sure it goes in straight and you don't dislodge the tension spring on the inside of the sealing lip.Some heavy grease on the spring and lip will reduce the possibility of it coming off.Replace the o-ring on the oil feed too.Use some Permatex Ultra Grey for the case sealer and you are good to go.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yank the cover off the engine and punch it out from the inside.It will be much easier to install without the primary gear in the way too.Make sure it goes in straight and you don't dislodge the tension spring on the inside of the sealing lip.Some heavy grease on the spring and lip will reduce the possibility of it coming off.Replace the o-ring on the oil feed too.Use some Permatex Ultra Grey for the case sealer and you are good to go.
I do have it off the bike. I cannot figure out how to punch it out. When I said I was beating it with a screwdriver and a hammer, that was from the inside of the case, and it did not budge.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think you need to press it out. Got a press?

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you need to press it out. Got a press?
I think that is why I am just heading over to the dealership tomorrow :D
I don't know why it would be made like that, but it seems that way.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
If I recall my magnesium inner clutch casing had one already pressed in....there's nothing about it's removal and replacement, nor is there any special tool to do so shown in my service manual. There is just a protective bushing use to cover the primary drive gear to protect the seal.
It does say though "if removed, fit the new oil seal on the clutch cover,with the spring side facing inwards. Lubricate lips with engine oil" They do not give any further instructions????

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I recall my magnesium inner clutch casing had one already pressed in....there's nothing about it's removal and replacement, nor is there any special tool to do so shown in my service manual. There is just a protective bushing use to cover the primary drive gear to protect the seal.
It does say though "if removed, fit the new oil seal on the clutch cover,with the spring side facing inwards. Lubricate lips with engine oil" They do not give any further instructions????
Damnit, that sucks. Yeah, I am working on a casing, and I have to replace it. I guess I will go to the dealership and have them remove it.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
they pound out,but installing the new one is the tricky part.and worse is that the factory tool is designed to install the seal with the case on the bike.you might be in for 2 trips to the dealer

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they pound out,but installing the new one is the tricky part.and worse is that the factory tool is designed to install the seal with the case on the bike.you might be in for 2 trips to the dealer
Thats fine, I live 30 seconds away from them...literally. :)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Once you get the old one out, have them press in the new one. I just installed one last weekend and we used rubber mallets... didn't work out so well.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Once you get the old one out, have them press in the new one. I just installed one last weekend and we used rubber mallets... didn't work out so well.
Thanks for the heads up :)

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Try heating the cover up in your oven before 'beating' on the seal. @ 350-400 ought to help. Don't put it on Broil!!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Stop!

Are you talking about the seal behind the basket that the clutch pushrod goes through? Looks like a really tiny tire? If so it just pulls out with a dental pick or two from the clutch basket side. I got some from sears and desmotimes. Both worked well. Easy job if that's what you're doing.

The new one presses in with a 8mm socket (correct diameter ;)) and a light tap from a mallet.

If that's NOT what you're talking about then good luck. I'm unsure without a picture. :)

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you talking about the seal behind the basket that the clutch pushrod goes through? Looks like a really tiny tire? If so it just pulls out with a dental pick or two from the clutch basket side. I got some from sears and desmotimes. Both worked well. Easy job if that's what you're doing.
If that's NOT what you're talking about then good luck. I'm unsure without a picture. :)
There is a large seal about 4 inches wide that seals the primary gear so oil does not get into the clutch casing. I actually finally got it out, had to beat it from the front, not the back (no pun intended).

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is a large seal about 4 inches wide that seals the primary gear so oil does not get into the clutch casing. I actually finally got it out, had to beat it from the front, not the back (no pun intended).

Put the engine casing back on your bike.
Oil the seal
center the seal. (no need to try to drive it in)
use the clutch basket and 4 bolts to pull the seal inn, just tighten evenly
this will get the seal 90-95 % of the way.

for the last bit a mallet(heavy is good) and an object that rest on the outer suface of the oilseal and drive it in the rest of the way(oilseal flat against the engine casings).

Worked for me :)
EO

(For removing the seal this to can be done with the engine/clutch casing on the bike. Just drill some smal holes in the oilseal, and use a modified exhaust spring tool and pull it out, but it need som force/mucle.)

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Put the engine casing back on your bike.
Oil the seal
center the seal. (no need to try to drive it in)
use the clutch basket and 4 bolts to pull the seal inn, just tighten evenly
this will get the seal 90-95 % of the way.

for the last bit a mallet(heavy is good) and an object that rest on the outer suface of the oilseal and drive it in the rest of the way(oilseal flat against the engine casings).

Worked for me :)
EO

(For removing the seal this to can be done with the engine/clutch casing on the bike. Just drill some smal holes in the oilseal, and use a modified exhaust spring tool and pull it out, but it need som force/mucle.)
Thanks!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Wow,
Good idea to use the clutch basket to press it in evenly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts