Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st time doing this! I am trying to remove a possible cracked coolant bottle (under ignition key/fwd of gas tank) I seem to have it all disconnected, but it seems that it will not slip thru the side. It looks like I have to take the airbox assembly out and pass the bottle back. I am having trouble removing the airbox, I have taken out the allen bolts, undid the four duct clips, but it still seems to not want to be removed. I don't want to break something (SNAP! -OHH $Hitt!) Is there something I am missing, In an earlier post today about my coolant issues, I followed the instructions for bottle removal, but there was no mention of taking the airbox out. I need help, there are 916 parts all over my garage and its getting dark. Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
Did you take the velocity stacks off? Those have to be removed to get the airbox out. They just twist off.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I did not know they twist off. Let me try. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Airbox MUST come off first! Remove the velocity stacks (twist bayonet fitting, like a light bulb), and the SIX screws for the airbox (Torx bolts), and unclip the air runners on the inside of the airbox, the rubber crankcase breather tube, and the airbox will lift right out.
Then loosen the ignition switch, and the coolant tank will pop right out - not forgetting to remove all 3 coolant tubes :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
REDDUC1 said:
1st time doing this! I am trying to remove a possible cracked coolant bottle (under ignition key/fwd of gas tank)
I have a brand new coolant tank if you are interested. never been out of the box.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All that was left was the stacks, Twist off, got to remember that. One of the stacks thin O-rings broke as twisted the stack out. Where can I get a replacement, or do I even need it? Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
REDDUC1 said:
All that was left was the stacks, Twist off, got to remember that. One of the stacks thin O-rings broke as twisted the stack out. Where can I get a replacement, or do I even need it? Thanks
Yes you need them. You can get the O-rings from your Ducati dealer or you can find it on the fiche @ www.bikebandit.com. When you reinstall the new ones use some sort of teflon grease that way they'll slide in easily. I used some teflon loob from my bicycle maintenance kit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help guys. I used bikebandit for the o-rings, and a got a great deal on the bottle. I think I am going to invest in a 916 manual!

·
Registered
167 Posts
REDDUC1 said:
Thanks for all the help guys. I used bikebandit for the o-rings, and a got a great deal on the bottle. I think I am going to invest in a 916 manual!
Get the Haynes Manual.. It's like $23..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts