Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Triumph Street Triple
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of a noobie question, I know. Besides the obvious "your tires are bald" situation, what's the rule of thumb on determining when you need a new set? I only have 3600 miles on my current tires, but they are starting to look worn.

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
At 3600 miles is toast in my oppinion. A street tire will usually wear unevenly and get a flat section in the center if the tread. This will cause your bike to handle poorly. Mainly when you tip in on a turn. Do yourself a favor and get some fresh rubber and you will be amazed how it will transform your ride.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Kind of a noobie question, I know. Besides the obvious "your tires are bald" situation, what's the rule of thumb on determining when you need a new set? I only have 3600 miles on my current tires, but they are starting to look worn.

Which bike, what brand and model tire are you talking about?

I think you answered your own question. If they look worn, they pretty much are worn.

·
Registered
477 Posts
It is really funny. I remember a long while Ago worrying about the same issue. Obviously, I change my tires now based on time rather than km's.

All the answers above are terrific. You should consider what kind of riding style you are adopting on the street and when you figure that out, your tires should suite your style.

If you are a Highway junkie, then you should have some medium or hard compound tires, and change them only when you see the BOX effect happening, or the treads are worn out (which ever comes first). If you are corner maniac, like I use to be, you should make sure that you have some decent rubber (soft compound) to have fun on.

If you like to burn out, I cannot image why, then you need to talk to me because I have some great burn out tires for you !!!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
As stated above, some people will change tires when they become badly squared off or cupped, but most people go according to the wear bars. Once you hit the wear bars or get close to them, many people will change their tires out. Naturally, if the tires are dry rotted and can't hold air, you should have changed them a lot sooner. In some cases, when the tires start sliding far too easily, it's time to change them as they have become hard.

NEVER go by the number of miles that someone else tells you, you'll hear of people like Tye stating under 2000 miles when the tires were wore out, and then you'll hear the other extreme of people boasting 12,000 miles on a set of super soft sport tires.

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,408 Posts
As stated above, some people will change tires when they become badly squared off or cupped, but most people go according to the wear bars. Once you hit the wear bars or get close to them, many people will change their tires out. Naturally, if the tires are dry rotted and can't hold air, you should have changed them a lot sooner. In some cases, when the tires start sliding far too easily, it's time to change them as they have become hard.

NEVER go by the number of miles that someone else tells you, you'll hear of people like Tye stating under 2000 miles when the tires were wore out, and then you'll hear the other extreme of people boasting 12,000 miles on a set of super soft sport tires.
+1

I generally go by the wear bars too, although last year we both had to throw out rears off our respective bikes because of too many straight touring kilometres. We had no choice. The sides still had plenty of tread left but the middles were down too far and were squared off badly. Hate that.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
I go by wear bars, as I wear out my tires pretty evenly plus if you are down to the wear bars in more than a couple places your tires are illegal and you risk big fines and/or walking home!

Tom

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Which bike, what brand and model tire are you talking about?

I think you answered your own question. If they look worn, they pretty much are worn.
It's the 1098S I'm wondering about.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
3600 miles on 1098s original tires, sounds like you got your moneys worth.

A friend of mine has a 1098s and was going through a rear Bridgestone BT002 every 1800 miles or so. He switched to the Bridgestone BT016 for more longevity when street riding.

·
Registered
131 Posts
3600 miles on 1098s original tires, sounds like you got your moneys worth.

A friend of mine has a 1098s and was going through a rear Bridgestone BT002 every 1800 miles or so. He switched to the Bridgestone BT016 for more longevity when street riding.
I think I know who you're talking about, he and I are now using BT-003RS's and having EXCELLENT results. Right around 2K out of the rear. Pretty happy with that considering all those 002's we shredded at 1400 miles!!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is really funny. I remember a long while Ago worrying about the same issue. Obviously, I change my tires now based on time rather than km's.

All the answers above are terrific. You should consider what kind of riding style you are adopting on the street and when you figure that out, your tires should suite your style.

If you are a Highway junkie, then you should have some medium or hard compound tires, and change them only when you see the BOX effect happening, or the treads are worn out (which ever comes first). If you are corner maniac, like I use to be, you should make sure that you have some decent rubber (soft compound) to have fun on.

If you like to burn out, I cannot image why, then you need to talk to me because I have some great burn out tires for you !!!
Thanks. I've been both canyon riding for fun and riding to work on the freeway, so I'll probably just stick with the same set up that came with the bike. They got me 3600 miles which isn't too bad from what I'm reading.

My initial thought was just to head into the dealer and have them put some new tires on, change the oil and check the chain. Then I read a post on here about getting tires much cheaper from an online store. If I go the online route, how do I get the tires mounted? If I take them to the dealer you think they will do it or is that taboo?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Depends on the dealer. I would certainly ask. Some won't mount anything you don't buy from them, and others will take any business they can get.

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,408 Posts
In the past I have had tyres swapped from the 748 to the 998 - so no new tyres purchased just swapped over, the dealership charged a fitting fee. We made it easier for them by only taking the rims in to get this done. Unfortunately the dealership is now defunct. We have two new sets of tyres waiting at home for when we need them, I am hoping that if we do the same thing again, ie just take in the rims that the newer dealership would be prepared to change the tyres and charge us a fee. If they won't, well we will sort it somehow.

So, depends I guess.

Btw, tyres on line would have to be a lot cheaper to make it all worth while. No point saving $30.00 per tyre when you have to pay delivery costs and then argue with a dealer who already has aforesaid tyres sitting there waiting. You could always use the online price as a negotiating point with your favourite dealer when you have carefully built up a relationship. No use antogonising them - they are looking after your bike after all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts