Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Multistrada and I just installed a new battery. Now it's time to reset the clock and all of my Ohlins suspension settings. I also want to use the Melcodiag software to reset my oil & desmo service reminders.

These tasks are nearly impossible because my bike powers back off within 1 minute every single time, even if I have it plugged into the battery tender. How can I power my bike on so that it will stay on while I mess with the menus?
Thank you!

·
Registered
35 Posts
That’s odd. My multistrada 2013 does not power down when using it. Try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting again.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If the battery is low off the shelf the tender won't keep things powered up. Try a good 12 hour charge on that battery

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
When I was loading Tuneboy, to keep it alive, I just kept switching the turn signals from side to side and that was enough to keep from powering down.

Reactions: enduranceracing

·
Registered
97 Posts
How are you powering your bike up? I know that sounds like a dumb question, but on my 2012 Multi if I turn on the ignition using the PIN code or the red key it will shut down after about a minute without the engine running. If I use my key fob it will stay on indefinitely.
And, setting the clock is a real pain on these bike. I have to re-read my manual twice a year to set the time for Daylight Savings Time!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
If the battery is low off the shelf the tender won't keep things powered up. Try a good 12 hour charge on that battery
That, and a battery tester is even more helpful. The bike shouldn't be turning off - mine doesn't - but these Ducatis are so fickle that one can be different from the next even in the same model year, so who knows.

For example, mine shuts off in the rain/when it gets get, while most certainly don't. This is not a feature I enjoy. LOL Scared the heck out of me a few times.

Anyway, this may help ... When doing a lengthy setup of the settings, pull the headlight light fuse to save the battery. It’s the 1st one in the row closest to front of the bike on my 2012 MTS.

Best wishes for success. I love Ducatis, but no doubt, they can be frustrating.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How are you powering your bike up? I know that sounds like a dumb question, but on my 2012 Multi if I turn on the ignition using the PIN code or the red key it will shut down after about a minute without the engine running. If I use my key fob it will stay on indefinitely.
And, setting the clock is a real pain on these bike. I have to re-read my manual twice a year to set the time for Daylight Savings Time!
I bet you that i'm not keeping the key fob in range and that's what's making it shut off so quickly. My antenna has god awful range. I have to hold the fob up to the dash to get it to read. I will try setting it up there in order to keep it communicating. I think the last time I tore my bike apart, I re-installed the antenna backwards but I don't know for sure. I'm pretty sure there is only one way to bolt it in so I don't know why my key fob has no range whatsoever, even with a fresh disc battery.

It's so difficult to set the time, yes! The menu is counter-intuitive. I just keep it on summer time because it's so aggravating to change and winter time is only 4 months long.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The menus are definitely a pain, but once you get the hang of it they are easy to read. It's just time consuming. I've heard of the antennas failing in cars for proximity keys, and have heard the odd complaint about the bike ones losing range too. Most likely you're looking at a new antenna at some point.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for helping me. I set the key fob on top of the dash and now it stays on indefinitely. My key fob has a range of less than 6inches and when it's out of range, the bike powers down automatically.

I had no battery in the bike at all for an entire day and my Ohlins active suspension controller kept all of it's settings! I had to reset the clock, turn traction control back on and reset back to Miles, Miles per gallon & degrees F. There's a nice youtube video that shows you how: you hold down the center button on the left side and the high beam switch both at the same time that you power the bike on to access the units menu.

It looks like removing the battery for so long reset my oil and desmo reminders, but I will need to take it for a ride to verify that. Thanks again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Please report back on this. There are a LOT of people that would be interested in this.
That did it, they're gone. I am pretty sure when the battery was out, I bumped the positive cable to ground. Maybe that's the trick, like it discharges the memory. There must be a tiny capacitor in there. My suspension settings stayed saved, but everything else was back to default.

When the next service reminder comes up, I imagine you just wait until you exceed the mileage and do this battery trick. That's my plan!

The most hilarious thing is that I still have no justice! My little message window isn't totally clear because it sill says "no key!" all the time while i'm riding down the road. Now I will see about fixing the range on my key fob.

I would love to open the dash and take the LED out from behind the high beam indicator. When I use my bights at night, the Blue indicator blinds me, it's extremely bright and reflects all up in my helmet visor. I could just put some electrical tape over it too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That did it, they're gone. I am pretty sure when the battery was out, I bumped the positive cable to ground. Maybe that's the trick, like it discharges the memory. There must be a tiny capacitor in there. My suspension settings stayed saved, but everything else was back to default.
My mistake I missed that you were talking about a 2010, I thought you were talking about a DVT model. Maybe this is already common knowledge on the pre-DVTs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
On my 2012 there is a small compartment on top of the right fairing. That's where my key fob rides so it stays close. I have never tested its range.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I had, past tense, had a 2010 Multistrada. When changing the battery I would hook a 12 volt charger to the pos and neg lines before removing the cables from the battery. Doing this kept power to the bike and once the new battery was installed and hooked to the cables I would remove the charger. All settings were maintained.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On my 2012 there is a small compartment on top of the right fairing. That's where my key fob rides so it stays close. I have never tested its range.
That's where I put my key, yet that's still not close enough. If I want to turn the bike on, I have to dig it out of there and hold it up to the dash. I'm going to try new key fob batteries and apparently, there is a reset button inside the key fob.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had, past tense, had a 2010 Multistrada. When changing the battery I would hook a 12 volt charger to the pos and neg lines before removing the cables from the battery. Doing this kept power to the bike and once the new battery was installed and hooked to the cables I would remove the charger. All settings were maintained.
True, but that won't reset your service reminders. I discovered this by accident.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts