Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

How do I justify buying Carbon Exhaust on my 748???

1K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Matt_P 
#1 ·
Seeing as how I'm a college student on a SEVERE budget... how do I justify dropping 400 on a used Fast by Ferracci carbon slip-on? I know we all justify things in different ways... so besides the sound... will it keep the heat down? What about resale value... does it improve that? Thanks for input guys!

#5 ·
good point vcyclenut... these slip-ons are in perfect shape and would I would be able to resell. I always wonder about trying to sell parts for 748/996 as they dont make them anymore yet I would think most people who wanted carbon slip-ons would of bought by now?

#6 ·
Cary NC? There's an ebay decal maker that lives in your city...

Anyway, the FBF cans sound great and yes, they are cool to the touch no matter how long you ride. So, that ought to put a check mark in two of your columns for bonuses. Hope it's enough.

;)

#9 ·
you're going to need a power commander and map to suit, open pipes will drop your back pressure and make the bike run lean. how long till you finish your coarse? there'll always be good deals around. the other thing to keep in mind is as soon as you start playing with tuning there's a risk of something going wrong and having to reach into your pocket again. sorry to be a downer. let the flaming begin :)

#12 ·
Rationalize: to bring into accord with reason or cause something to seem reasonable...

Justify: to prove or show to be just, right, or reasonable...

So I'm gonna have to say this would be a rationalization as spending hundreds of dollars on a part that doesn't do much when you don't really have the money is unreasonable. Hence my need to find a way to rationalize, AKA make spending this money, something that a reasonable person would do... which surly none of us are as we all own Ducati's... they are an emotional buy for sure!

I say potato, you say po-ta-to?

#13 ·
You answered your own question

A college student owning a Duc while being a tight budget, you are one in a 1000. And you are worried about rationalizing noisey pipes costs, not to mention buying a chip.

When in reality many 748/916/996 motors have silent existing issues, deep inside your motor you stand a chance of having a few rockers going south....

Hmm, I think you already have your answer, either do it, or not, as 5-7 hp for the thrill of noisey pipes is totally up to you...

I do not think that many here are going to spend to much time helping you justify throwing a set of new or used pipes on your 748.

But enjoy, no matter what your decision is. Ride safe!!

Cheers,
Mark

#15 ·
Wait, slipons require a chip now? 5-7 hp for noisy slipons? They don't require a chip and sound great. 5-7hp out of them would be well worth $400!!!

A college student owning a Duc while being a tight budget, you are one in a 1000. And you are worried about rationalizing noisey pipes costs, not to mention buying a chip.

When in reality many 748/916/996 motors have silent existing issues, deep inside your motor you stand a chance of having a few rockers going south....

Hmm, I think you already have your answer, either do it, or not, as 5-7 hp for the thrill of noisey pipes is totally up to you...

I do not think that many here are going to spend to much time helping you justify throwing a set of new or used pipes on your 748.

But enjoy, no matter what your decision is. Ride safe!!

Cheers,
Mark

#16 ·
Since I am the one selling those pipes, I obviously have an interest in you buying them, but I will try to be neutral:

I don't think they add much resale value to a bike. I think most people shopping for a used bike are just looking at mileage, condition, and service history. And even if someone was considering your bike and an identical one with stock pipes on it, they wouldn't pay an extra $400 for yours in most cases. I think you're far better off keeping the stock pipes boxed up to go back on the bike when you sell it.

Most people who have these bikes probably do already have pipes on them if they want them, but there are lots out there with stock pipes that will be sold at some point to new owners who may want aftermarket pipes, so I think you have a good chance of eventually reselling the pipes for close to what you pay for them.

I'm not sure about any heat difference...my 998 was definitely still plenty hot with these on it, and I never rode it after I put the stock pipes back on to sell it to compare.

One small advantage that hasn't been mentioned yet is the weight - I weighed these and the stock pipes from my 748 and the difference is 5.2 pounds.

Speaking of the sound, have you heard slipons on a 748 before? If not, that may be all the convincing you need. I expect to be down in Greensboro sometime in the next two weeks - maybe we could get together and put them on your bike for you to try out.

#17 ·
What happens if you find chrome flakes from your rockers next time you change the bike's oil? The money you'll have spent on pipes won't help get your bike running again, a fact which will be made worse by your constrained budget.

Save the cash for a rainy day. If you're hard up for sound coring the stock exhaust is plenty noisy, and cheap to boot. Get the pipes when you're more financially sound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.