Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a scale of 1-10 how difficult is this job?

Should I change the rings while it's apart? Or is it reasonable to simply take off the head, jug, chage the gasket, put it back together?

-Chris

·
Registered
293 Posts
While I've never done that chore, I have removed and refitted my 996 engine, and did a partial disassembly when I took the engine out. I would venture a guess that the job would be much easier if you took the engine out of the frame and did the work on a workbench or similar. Getting the head off can be a chore if you don't have the right tool, and nearly impossible to reassemble PROPERLY without the appropriate tools.

The only things that would worry me initially would be getting the right tools (special head bolt wrench), setting the belts/timing correcly (since I've never done it). As long as you have an actual shop manual and the right tools, I think it's not that big of an issue. Read the manual about these things and you decide if you're capable. My guess is you will be able to do it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
base gasket

I just removed both heads on my 748 to replace all rockers. In doing so, it was unavoidable to disturb both base gasket seals. This meant I had to pull jugs.
To make a very long story short, it is a royal pain with the motor in the frame to replace wrist pin clips while balancing the cyclinders on pistons up to the rings. I saw NO way to slide the jugs on after doing the clips. You need a ring compressor because the chamfers on the bottoms of the jugs do not work at compressing the rings as you slide the jugs down.

I think if I was to do it again, I'd consider shooting myself first. Then I'd look for a used 996 motor to drop inplace of the 748, if I was going to go to all the trouble of removing the engine from the frame. My bike only had 7000 miles on it so I reused the rings. Hold on to your hat when you get the price of the head gasket.

The only special tool you need is the head nut wrench. I made mine for the price of a couple of cheap wrenches and a 1/2" drive socket. Search here on the site. Someone posted a pic not too long ago.

Good Luck, I hope I didn't paint too ugly a picture for you. It certainly is doable, but you will most likely expand your vocabulary some.

Good Luck

·
Registered
293 Posts
I didn't think removing the engine was that big of a deal, but it takes a couple hours. I just took lots of pictures and labelled everything that I disconnected.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts