Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put a new clutch in my 996 and am having trouble. So, new Barnett p plate and new Barnett clutch discs. Stock basket and inner drive. It seems that I have a wrong disc count but same as stock plates Ive taken out except for the spring plate that fits middle of pack. The outside plate walks out when clutch lever is pressed. It then doesnt line its dogs up and gets jammed outside of basket. I suspected the new lever I put on and checked clearance of pin on the master cylinder. Its fine and allows master to come out not binding cylinder. I am suspecting that the stack height is wrong but Barnett says no way blah blah. Is this something youve seen and can you help? Ive owned many bikes before but never a dry clutch Duck. Thank you for any advice and help. Comments?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I recently put a new clutch in my 996 and am having trouble. So, new Barnett p plate and new Barnett clutch discs. Stock basket and inner drive. It seems that I have a wrong disc count but same as stock plates Ive taken out except for the spring plate that fits middle of pack. The outside plate walks out when clutch lever is pressed. It then doesnt line its dogs up and gets jammed outside of basket. I suspected the new lever I put on and checked clearance of pin on the master cylinder. Its fine and allows master to come out not binding cylinder. I am suspecting that the stack height is wrong but Barnett says no way blah blah. Is this something youve seen and can you help? Ive owned many bikes before but never a dry clutch Duck. Thank you for any advice and help. Comments?
My experience with Barnett Clutches is that they're garbage... So I wouldn't be listening too carefully to what they have to say. The overall stack height should be 38mm.... if it's over that height you'll have to remove one of the extra steel driven plates to get it back into specification....

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yep. Over 38mm will be too high.

Begin with 2 steel (bottom of the basket) then friction, steel, friction, steel, etc...and at the end STEEL.

The curved steel must be fitted...where you want (i put it in the middle of the pack).

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, stack height 38mm. Pazzo lever is allowing more stroke of pushrod which allows more p plate travel which allows outer plate to drop out. Anybody have suggestions or ideas? I love the levers and would like to know if anybody has experience with this type of problem. Yes, my hands are more like paws. Ape ish if you will, thanks for noticing..........hehe.

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
It's not your lever. In one way or another, you have more plate than your basket can handle. A clutch isn't magical. For a stock hub, start with a steel plate (do you have different thickness plates to work with?) and alternate until you fill the basket, ending with a steel so you don't wear out your pressure plate. If the height seems wonky, take out a friction and leave the steel so you have 2 steel plates at the pressure plate. You just need to be in the operational range of your slave cylinder, that's all. I know 38mm is recommended, but if that leaves you with a plate coming out of the basket, shorten the stack a little, eh?

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, that makes me wonder if the Barnett thick plate they have you install first is not right. Its supposed to be twice as thick as a single plate. I have played with the lever adjustment and have gotten close but still overtravel. I guess Im in for another set of plates as I've thrown the old away. Any recommendations? Should I just buy a whole assembly? My basket isnt bad but the center is worn. Ugh......................

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay so I'm thick headed! I know you guys suggested plate thickness. The Barnett instructions say go with the thickest plate first which pushes the others out too far. So, did some flipping about and Pazzo's are fine, push rod fine, clutch plates in proper order. I forgot that wrenching is supposed to be fun, right up till frustration sets in. Thank you all for the learning experience and I promise to listen more carefully.

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
Okay so I'm thick headed! I know you guys suggested plate thickness. The Barnett instructions say go with the thickest plate first which pushes the others out too far. So, did some flipping about and Pazzo's are fine, push rod fine, clutch plates in proper order. I forgot that wrenching is supposed to be fun, right up till frustration sets in. Thank you all for the learning experience and I promise to listen more carefully.
There was your problem! Right there! :D

Glad you got it sorted!

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the help and encouragement. Boy, do I have alot to learn about the new girl.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts