Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I might be getting a streetfighter soon and wanted to ask a couple of questions.

How is the SF for a ride with 2 up?

Coming from an S4Rs
Is it a good bike to ride for almost 300 miles a day?

Does the lack of windshield make the bike too shakey in the expressway?

thanks in advance.

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
CAn't say about two up, but have done 10 hours/450 miles going from SW Ga to NPR Ducati in Watkinsville. Since have added the Renthal FatBar to give me some more reach, I'm 5' 7"/155lbs.

Make sure you have a snug helmet (replace your cheek pads/buy snugger ones). Behind any semi truck is a bitch slap marathon. Stock pipes are a little too quiet at speed (I like to hear the motor and not look at the revs) No ear plugs and you hear pure wind, put in ear plugs and you hear nothing. I am starting to lean towards a louder system.

Seat is comfy enough. In comparison to my S2R, you feel cramped on the S2R compared to the F1098. Less leg fatigue!

Leg grip cannot be beaten. Again compared to the S2R, you can vise grip the sheet out of the F1098.

Bike lean is more forward than the S2R, a little more work for your legs/back, but not bad at all. Jump back on your Monster and you feel like you're going to slide off the back. You feel very locked into the saddle of the F1098, and not because of the seat back... I can't reach mine.. I'm too short.

If you've got your S tuned well, the F1098 will require some work to get it in the same form. Don't get me wrong, the 1098 motor is pure heaven. The only misstep is the Euro3 tuning from idle to 4k, if you are aggressive, you wont notice it much. But if you have to endure any light to light city riding where you cannot misbehave, the tuning will be evident in the low revs. All in all the tuning can be managed with the fix, or termis, or DP full exhaust etc.

Only note on two up would be that the passenger should have a good view and a good grip as you wont be short of torque at any speed. I bet it will be a joy and you wont regret it... except the fact that you let dust settle on your S4R while you tick off the miles/trips on the F1098.

The F1098 may well be the successor to the S4R*, but it not only raises the bar, it puts it onto a whole new playing field. It's different enough in certain respects not to be a replacement for the S4R*. It's a superbike that rides like a Monster, but not exactly. I myself still enjoy riding my S2R1k, but it's just not the same anymore after experiencing the F1098. When you jump back onto the S2R, it's not as quick even though you leave every cage at the light. You have to adjust your braking unless you had monoblocks on your bike. Even today when I got caught in the rain coming home, I was trying to break the rear wheel lose to see what DTC would do. I wasn't aggressive enough and the bike stayed hooked up. Before owning the F1098 I would never think of doing that on purpose before experiencing DTC. It not only works. It works damn good.

Didn't mean to be lengthy, just wanted to throw out my comparisons to the Monster, which is still a dam good bike in its' own right.

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
, I was trying to break the rear wheel lose to see what DTC would do. I wasn't aggressive enough and the bike stayed hooked up. Before owning the F1098 I would never think of doing that on purpose before experiencing DTC. It not only works. It works damn good.
.. you have to twist the hell out of the throttle on rainy days to break traction.. I managed after several tries but dang.. then you are going faster than you might feel safe on the slowing down part or hydroplane part.

as for 2 up.. I know my wife didn't like my monster. I can't imagine she will like this any more.. so it's probably a toss up between the two.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the response guys.

Well I am 5'11'' and almost 200 pounds I think the bike should be alright for me. I wonder if it is as twitchy in the twisties as the monster is. I couldnt fall for the monster because it didnt feel quite as stable in the twisties as my 848.

As for two up, I will probably be riding with my girl up to the mountains and she finds the monster to be comfortable so I guess the streetfighter will be alright.

I cant wait to test drive it this weekend and hopefully take one home. I hope this bike returns the passion I had for bikes when I had the 848.

·
Registered
206 Posts
FWIW I think the SF is more comfortable than a stock monster. I had to get different bars, different pegs and a Sargent seat on my 2000 M900 to make it really comfortable for day long riding.

I got to ride an S4Rs in Italy for about 12 days, and the reach on the S4Rs is longer, and overall it feels like a much bigger much heavier bike. What really sold me on the SF was the nimbleness, the lightness, and the totally predictable handling. On the question of motor, it seems subjectively like the S4Rs had a bit more grunt down low, but with some remapping and re-gearing the SF should have every bit as much punch, and a lot more top end.

I think for a passenger it would be pretty awful after a half hour on either bike.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Not to threadjack, but for those that are around my height (5'8"), do you find yourself banging your knees into the larger frame spar under the tank? Maybe my height is just right for knee position next to the frame.

This was one "feature" that seriously turned me off. Most Ducs have wide tanks that prevent this sort of interaction, but the SF's tank is so narrow, that it was a bit of a shock when I did it and didn't expect to.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I dont think the wind will bother you at high speeds. Maybe it the way the headlight is shaped, but on the highway going 80-85 I am not blown off the bike.
Ken

·
Registered
465 Posts
Not to threadjack, but for those that are around my height (5'8"), do you find yourself banging your knees into the larger frame spar under the tank? Maybe my height is just right for knee position next to the frame.

This was one "feature" that seriously turned me off. Most Ducs have wide tanks that prevent this sort of interaction, but the SF's tank is so narrow, that it was a bit of a shock when I did it and didn't expect to.
I don't even know how you would do that. During cornering or straight? I'm the same height and haven't experienced that at all. It must have something to do with your body position. Or maybe you have super long legs?

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I don't even know how you would do that. During cornering or straight? I'm the same height and haven't experienced that at all. It must have something to do with your body position. Or maybe you have super long legs?
I had it happen when exiting corners and returning my body to an upright position and going to grip the tank. The frame sticks out more than the tank, and my spacial memory was about 2 inches off in width with regards to the tank location. If anything, I'm short-legged and longer in the torso. Must only be me. :D

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
I hope it's just the normal adjustment phase. My first ride (the test) was what I expected, a little unsettling. I had not found where I needed to be. I felt extremely high on the bike. Now 1600 miles later, it's all good. If you still have room to sit back and want to, you could always try the Renthal FatBar. Congrats!

·
1,642 Posts
yes actually.. but it depends on how I place my feet on the pegs.. If I put them where I can access the pedals (brake and clutch :) ) .. then my knees sit uncomfortably on the top spar of the frame,, actually .. the little ridge on the tank above the top spar. I have to lift my knees to squeeze the tank.. but even then the tank is so narrow that squeezing tight is uncomfortable mostly because I can't sqeeze tight enough with the slippery tank,, I should get some grippy stuff. but that would be ugly. If I put the balls of my feet on the pegs then I can get better knee placement, Or another thing that helps is if I keep my butt back in the seat ,, tedious cause I slip forward under hard braking unless I squeeze really good.. it's just a loosing battle

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Mrs B hates the fighter & nearly fell off. The rear seat is too slippy & nowhere to hang on. She is really good on the 999 but on the fighter, as i was going around a right hooker she slid off the left side & sat the bike up . I shat misell...

Could do with a triboseat for the rear she may be a bit better then. Oh & some handles for the side of me so she can hold on

·
1,642 Posts
Mrs B hates the fighter & nearly fell off. The rear seat is too slippy & nowhere to hang on. She is really good on the 999 but on the fighter, as i was going around a right hooker she slid off the left side & sat the bike up . I shat misell...

Could do with a triboseat for the rear she may be a bit better then. Oh & some handles for the side of me so she can hold on

UMMM,, LOVE HANDLES! DUH!.. some of that double stick tape for her butt oughta stick her to the bike.. :D:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts