Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other week I was riding home from work, stuck in stop and go traffic (mostly stop:mad:) and my bike began to get really hot. Engine temps nearly pegged out my temperature gauge. I couldn't tell if my fans had cut on or not because the temps kept climbing until I got moving. Is there a way to test the fans on a 998 that doesn't involve just riding around until the engine gets hot?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and I did check the fuse first.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I thought for a while that my fans didn't work, becuase I'd never noticed them running. Then I crashed at the track a couple weeks ago. When I got the bike back to the paddock and turned the key the fans turned on. No idea why. Not sure what temp it has to get before they come on. You could always plug a battery right onto the fan's wires, but that's not gonna troubleshoot whether or not the thermostat that controls them is still working. Wish I had a better suggestion.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I wired up my fans in a series with a toggle switch. If you take the right fairing off, you can see wires that lead to the fan. They might be wrapped with some shrink wrap rubber. I think the blue wire is the negative. I just ran wire from the negative terminal on the battery to the right fan negative wire. Just strip the wire a little bit to expose the wire. That will at least test if your fan works. Try the other wire if that doesnt work. Good luck.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wired up my fans in a series with a toggle switch. If you take the right fairing off, you can see wires that lead to the fan. They might be wrapped with some shrink wrap rubber. I think the blue wire is the negative. I just ran wire from the negative terminal on the battery to the right fan negative wire. Just strip the wire a little bit to expose the wire. That will at least test if your fan works. Try the other wire if that doesnt work. Good luck.
Thanks for the input. I'll give this a shot this weekend when I've got the time. Hopefully everything works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts