Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Depending on how much you need/want to lower it, the simplest and most normal looking way would be to replace the shock with a shorter or adjustable length aftermarket one and then compensate the front by raising the fork tubes in the tripple clamps. Need to double check clearances with the front fender possibly making contact with anything at full compression. usually 1/2" - 1" is possible in the front, more in the rear but handling will be affected significantly if you change the geometry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In other words you might be saying deal with what you got? I'm just a casual rider, I don't track the bike or anything. When you say affect the performance, would that only apply to race track handling or normal riding and turning characteristics? Where can I buy said adjustable shocks? Sorry I'm new to Ducatis! Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Welcome to this board and welcome to MH900e ownership, Reventon. Did you get #1636 that was on consignment at ExImport? If yes, that one has an adjustable Ohlins shock in the back and can be lowered a bit (I think) as per Dietrich's suggestion. Also, check whether the eccentric in the rear wheel is in the high or low position. Difference is almost an inch in ride-height. I am 5'10" and feel uncomfortable with the eccentric in the high position and the low position is just perfect for me.

There are a few more MHe's in the Houston area; a week ago, #18, #225 and #1591 went for a ride together. Great fun. When I get one of the pics taken before we left, I will post it here.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy.

RonB

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome. Wow these bikes don't go unnoticed! They are that rare huh? ;) Sorry for my ignorance but I'm all new to this. What is the eccentric hub, where is it located and how do I check or adjust it? I can ride the bike, just thought if it were just .5" or 1" lower it would be perfect for me.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
get the bike to a ducati dealership and let them do the work,
as you need a lot of tools ( 46mm nut, torque wrench ~200 Nm etc. ).

the fork legs got to be pushed through the clamps by the same amount
that you are lowering the rear, not to alter the steering geometry of
your bike into something that Peter Fonda would love to ride.

:think:

i like Peter Fonda and would suggest not to lower the bike as long
as you feel comfortable riding it.

:think:

·
Bon Vivant
11,252 Posts
I'm surprised Reventon, the MHe is not what I would call a casual rider's bike...
Extremely uncomfortable and impossible to find replacement parts should something happen to it. Not exactly your "Daily rider".

Good luck with it, Ive had mine for about 6 years, it was my first Ducati too but reality set in and I quickly added a monster to the barn for some real riding.

The monster is gone now but the Hailwood is still here!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm surprised Reventon, the MHe is not what I would call a casual rider's bike...
Extremely uncomfortable and impossible to find replacement parts should something happen to it. Not exactly your "Daily rider".

Good luck with it, Ive had mine for about 6 years, it was my first Ducati too but reality set in and I quickly added a monster to the barn for some real riding.

The monster is gone now but the Hailwood is still here!
I don't plan to put much miles on this bike, my last bike was a '03 Springer with only 2-3k miles. I will probably put about 1,500 miles on it per year if I'm lucky! ;)

The only other bike I would consider adding in addition for daily usage would be a Can-Am Spyder. What do you guys think of that?

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
making good on my promise

Mhe225 said:
There are a few more MHe's in the Houston area; a week ago, #18, #225 and #1591 went for a ride together. Great fun. When I get one of the pics taken before we left, I will post it here.
Thanks to Loran for taking the pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea doesn't seem like any of you guys are near 5'7" so you wouldn't have the problems I have! lol

Bikes look great!

So the only way for me to tell if the eccentric hub is on the other way is to take the rear wheels off of the bike? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
John is 6'4" and both Matt and I are 5'10" so yeah, a tad taller than you are.
No (real) need to take the rear wheel off the bike to see whether the eccentric is in the up- or down-position. Assuming that the original chain-guard is still on the bike, take a look at the clearance between the guard and the rear sprocket. If that's about 1" (one inch) then it's most likely in the low or down position.

Better yet, look for the eccentric itself; I hope that the attached picture help you to figure out what you need to be looking for. If the "meat" of the eccentric is in the lower part of the hole of the swing-arm, then ..... et cetera.

Hope this is helpful; good luck.

RonB

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts