Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last bike a YZF600 the front tire didn't have any and the back maybe 1/2 inch. This bike the front tire has noticeably more and the back more. I'm not as good as leaning this one over. How are you on yours? :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mine is about 3/4 inch. That is because I mearly shift weight vs. hang off. I was a Tire Marshall for the AMA's and can tell you that a majority of the bikes had small chicken strips, they would rather use the body to keep the bike more upright for traction vs seeing how far they can lean the bike over.

Cheers,

·
Registered
434 Posts
My last bike a YZF600 the front tire didn't have any and the back maybe 1/2 inch. This bike the front tire has noticeably more and the back more. I'm not as good as leaning this one over. How are you on yours? :)
None on the rear and about 1/4 inch on the front, but I wouldn't worry about the strips if I were you. Just ride. They're not important :D

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
None on the rear and about 1/4 inch on the front,
That sounds like the tires on my ST2 with me hanging off the bike. The last time I rode my wife's ST2, though, I got the front down to about 1/16". I believe her suspension is set up better than my ST2.....or the suspension is not as worn out (hers has half the miles on it). :D

·
Senior Italophile
865 Posts
None on the rear and about 1/4 inch on the front, but I wouldn't worry about the strips if I were you. Just ride. They're not important :D
+1

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
None on the rear and about 1/4 inch on the front, but I wouldn't worry about the strips if I were you. Just ride. They're not important
Absolutely....just ride the thing for your enjoyment and no one elses......you could take a sander to the sides if your worried about what people think:D

You laugh!! I have heard of someone actually doing this:eek:

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Mine have none (duckman can verify) but as the other guys have said, enjoy your ride for yourself, chicken strips or the lack thereof are no real indication of riding ability.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
chicken strips or the lack thereof are no real indication of riding ability.
...and the size of the chicken strips can be greatly influenced by your riding style (sitting upright or sliding off the seat) and the profile or size of the tire.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Honey-mustard here...or chipotle. I like the smoked pepper/hot bbq-like sauce over the traditional vinegar-based buffalo stuff.

As for the tires, mine are minimal at times and wider at others. There are a lot of factors involved. Such as roads, temp, load, traffic, weather, mood, etc.

I had W I D E ones after a 600 mile ride this weekend. Lots of rain and super-slab. Makes for wide strips indeed.

The whole judgment based on the size of your chicken strip(s) is a bunch of bunk. Usually stated from someone who is not in the know.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,073 Posts
Chicken strips are like breasts.... no wait, that doesn't work.

Chichen strips are like penis's.... crap, that doesn't work either.

Chicken strips are like.... oh hell, who are we tring to fool here.

SIZE MATTERS! ;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
As noted in another thread, I like to keep a decent safety margin on public roads...especially in the nutty bay area, where most cagers are doing anything except driving and paying attention to the road.

Thus, I don't worry about the size of my (ahem) margin strips and just enjoy the ride. :yeah:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Everybody's riding style is different, but if your bike is an ST (and only ridden on the street) then by all means, keep some chicken strips. As a non-riding friend once said to me, "Just because the chassis technology, the tire technology, and your riding ability is there; it doesn't mean that the road materials technology or the average road worker's ablility to find and fill potholes is there."

·
Registered
273 Posts
Chicken Strips?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts