Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cheap black leather jacket with vents that I wear comfortably in 40F-80F degree days. It is bearable to 90F, but above that I catch myself trying to get by with just a long (or even short) sleeved shirt. I live in Ohio, and we do get 100+F degree days. So I wanted to pick up a cooler jacket for this summer.

I am looking for something cheap. I don't plan to wear it below 80F, so I don't care about liners, waterproofing etc. I think CE type hard armor is useless (disagree if you want, but don't hijack this thread). It also needs to be fashionable enough to wear on my Ducati 998, but I think black is just too hot (red or white would be nice).

Any ideas?

·
Super Duper Member
433 Posts
I was looking for the same thing. I have a Dainese Ducati Corse textile jacket that has a waterproof liner in it which isn't removeable. It breaths okay with the vent zippers on the sleeves, but when it gets over 90F it's way too hot. So, today I bought this:

Speed and Strength Moment Of Truth Mesh Motorcycle Jacket | Riding Gear | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

They have the SP model of this jacket with all of the sponsor patches on it for $20 more at motorcyclegear.com if you're into that sort of thing.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
White leather would certainly reduce the heat absorbed from the sun but your best solution is to wear fully vented leathers and an undersuit or shirt of made of Coolmax or comparable moisture wicking material sourced from a leather suit vendor. Bicycle riders wear outfits made of similar materials and there are a number of sports jerseys that offer a variety of styles.

Mesh jackets simply do not offer adequate protection against road rash. The internet is full of disturbing photos of crash results from mesh jackets.

When water evaporates it takes heat with it. This is why your body sweats; to stay cool. Anything you can do to help the sweat evaporate faster will help you stay cooler and that’s where these tech fabrics help out.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
even a mesh jacket once about 85 or so is pretty hot, particularly if humid. My best experience is with a jacket with airflow and underneath one of those blue cooling vest - you soak them in water a couple minutes and they go under you jacket next to a tshirt. they will make you feel almost cold. amazing -sounds messy/wet but they aren't. worth checking out.

For the mesh armored jackets be sure it fits tight or has arm straps - most are made poorly and so lose fitting that in any type of crash the sleeves/shoulders would rotate so much you'd have no armor protecting you once you slide a foot. If you can rotate it on you in the store it won't stand a chance. chose carefully.

·
Super Duper Member
433 Posts
The jacket I bought has "Combined “Fierce” Mesh And AR-600 Frame". So, aside from the abrasion resistance of the AR-600 fabric which is proprietary to SSGear, the mesh is of a "Fierce" nature which should scare away any road rash.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Alpinestar T-GP-R black
Wear an Under Armor shirt underneath and I can't even tell I got a jacket on! Have the Bio chest and back protector inserted and i have found they have great ventilation too.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
I have a Vanson Properf for hot weather. It is fully perforated everywhere except the collar and the waist band. It flows an enormous amount of air when moving. Anything is going to be hell when you're at a light or in traffic, but I don’t think any mesh jacket would be able to match Vanson's properf and still be safe in a crash. I also have a Rev'It mesh/textile and one of the very first generation Joe Rocket Phoenix jackets. No comparison to the Vanson in fit, finish, airflow or protection. You said cheap. The Vanson doesn't fit that requirement, unless you buy used, but it's a great jacket and will out last anything you are likely looking at both in style (plain black leather and a classic cut will always be cool) and quality.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts