Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on getting a S2R 800... due to wet clutch and around town traffic which I usually commute in.
but I'm worried about communting in SO CAL with hot weather around....can a AIR cooled engine hold up? or will it tend to overheat more?
also anything else i should look out for on these bikes??
If you guys can give me some input on the subject will be great.
Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
I cannot speak for SoCal area, but I'm in Houston where we add a bit of humidity on top of the fry your buns heat. So far both my older 900ss/sp and 2000 M900S seem to be doing quite well. Better, in fact then the water cooled 748 that I used to have.
As long as your not sitting there for long lengths of time you should be okay. You guys can legaly lane split, we cannot.
Shortly you should be recieving a score of California rider inputs, stay tuned and enjoy the ride.

Al B.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Don't forget, it's oil cooled, too. I can't imagine you'll have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Socal_Rider said:
I'm planning on getting a S2R 800... due to wet clutch and around town traffic which I usually commute in.
but I'm worried about communting in SO CAL with hot weather around....can a AIR cooled engine hold up? or will it tend to overheat more?
also anything else i should look out for on these bikes??
If you guys can give me some input on the subject will be great.
Thanks
As long as your moving , you'll be fine. If your just sitting in traffic 1hour + and not moving, you *might* have some trouble.

The only time my 620 got really hot was in traffic getting to Moto GP in laguna. Stop n go for about 1.5 hours. hit bout 300dg.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey, u don't have nothing to worry about!! I live in Socal and my buddy bought a S2R 1000 on January which is exactly the same as the S2R 800 except it has a bigger motor and dry clutch. He usually rides in on local and he never said anything about the temperature problem of his bike.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
have not yet had a problem with my multi. split lanes when you can safely and if things do get too hot, you have an excuse to stop for a cold one.
don't forget that it was not all that long ago that virtually all motorcycles were air cooled! and a volkswagen or two.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I used to own an air-cooled 900SS SP and lived in the middle of the freakin' desert in the southwest at the time. No problems (at least not heat-related ones lol) ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts