Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm wondering if anyone knows the amps for the stock 1200 DVT (2015+) horn - i'm considering upgrading. i'd like to avoid running another relay and instead use the existing wires. i know there are better/louder options - i've had several varieties (sound bomb, Stebel, etc.) on past bikes and loved them, but trying to keep the custom wiring on this bike to a minimum.

there are several horn options, some drawing only 1.5 amp (example: wolo), others requiring 5 amps (example: denali), and some that claim 6 amps (example: fiamm).

i know the stock wiring could handle the smaller 1.5 amp horns, but not as sure for the 5-6 amp options.

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Unless you like to lay on the horn a lot i don’t think the wire size will matter much, especially if you have a fuse in the circuit . I’ve changed horns for louder/ bigger on the stock wiring multiple times with no issues. To tell the truth, I didn’t even think about it. Do it, if you have an issue, fix it.

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi there....Is this true for a Multistrada 950 S?
I'm not sure about that, but that horn is fairly compact with respect to thickness. I'd say its maybe 10mm thicker than the stock horn. I'd say its something like 20mm larger in diameter. It fit within the space behind the radiator on my Multi 1200s.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks all. there are a variety of options in this style of horn - i do like the subtle design of the PIAA though it's a bit more expensive. i'll also probably buy the high/low set just to see which tone i prefer. maybe use the leftover on the dirt bike ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts