Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A soccer mom in a suburban "didn't see me" and tried to pull into a subway parking lot right as I was riding by. The officer cited her but that didn't fix my bike or keep me from getting hauled to the ER in an ambulance. Thank god I wear all my gear all the time, I got out of the situation pretty well overall.

Now for my poor baby. I am hoping it doesn't get totaled but I know how much I have spent on it, and how much parts are for the most part, if you can even find them.

I'm stuck in a recliner now per Dr's orders but before the adrenaline wore off I snapped a few photos. All carbon fiber on the bike is MS production or Ducati Performance. Rear tail piece flew off the bike but other than scratches I didn't see any major damage. Exhaust is smashed in from the rear set, carbon fiber headlight bucket broken, front break lever broke off on my leg, most of the plastic is scuffed up but I didn't see any actual fractures. Not sure if the forks are bent, I hit her at a 90 degree angle at first.

I spent all winter long building this bike and it breaks my heart. It has more aftermarket upgrades than I could list. I kept receipts for whatever good it will do me when I fight the insurance companies.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did she turn right into a parking lot from a lane other than the right lane?
She was going west, and I was going east. The parking lot was on my right hand side, so she was turning left. There was 2 lanes going each direction, and she saw the car I think in the left hand lane, but I was in the right lane. She tried to dart across in-between the cars, and didn't see me. I ended up hitting her square in the right front wheel of her vehicle.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Sorry to hear about it and glad that you are ok.

I believe that it will be totaled.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to hear about it and glad that you are ok.

I believe that it will be totaled.
That's kind of what I was afraid of. I just hope they give a fair valuation. I have quite a few high value aftermarket parts that I am sure won't raise the total value much. Maybe I can buy it back and try to part it out to recoup some of the losses.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Unless you added the aftermarket parts on the insurance coverage, they probably won't pay out on them.

You will have first right to buy it back as a salvage title if it goes that way. Probably $1,200 to $1,500 deducted from the insurance payout which will likely let you walk away w/ $3.5k and your bike.

Depending on how it goes I may be into your headlight bucket.

·
Registered
364 Posts
My hyper got totaled by a destracted dumb dumb, about 3 weeks ago. Since I’m fully covered, I went through my insurance (progressive). They paid for my bike (totaled), all add ons and all of my gear. I paid the deductible, but I’m getting that back from their insurance and We are still working on the “medical” part of it. I didn’t need receipts for anything. I just sent them pictures of my gear. I did have to help the adjuster with the add ons, on the bike. They are just not that informed about duckies or bikes in general.

With the crack on the frame at the rear set area, they will probably total it. :(.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If it was your fault, your insurance would total the bike at fair market value and thats it. With the other driver at fault I would think you don't need to have the CF farkles listed on your insurance - its her insurance that must pay for what she damaged. And the evidence is there on the bike.

I'd get the repair job estimated at a Duc dealer's shop and send that doc to her adjuster and be ready to fight. If they push back on a fair settlement, tell him right there about your neck pain and lost time from work, suffering, and mental anguish, so he gets it that youre negotiating about just fixing what the beeaatch destroyed. Maybe he'll come around! Bike parts are cheaper than lawyers and medical expenses and lost wages.

Good luck, and really sorry to hear about your bike!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Now for my poor baby. I am hoping it doesn't get totaled but I know how much I have spent on it, and how much parts are for the most part, if you can even find them.
The crack , although minor is enough for a statutory write off in Australia ,, unless you got an “agreed value” policy you’re at the mercy of “book value” which means you’re gonna take a hit on it.
You could buy it back , sell everything but the frame ,, or turn it into a track bike .

I’m sorry to say, but I think it will be written off

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good advice guys, thank you. I do have an aftermarket policy for my insurance but since it is going to be paid out by the other driver’s I’m not sure how that will go.

I’m covered in bruises and can hardly walk and I have plenty of time evidence so if I need to play hardball I will.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Even if nothing on the bike had so much as a nick, the bend/crack in the frame would be an instant write-off.

Your own insurance policy (if you had comprehensive coverage) would typically cover up to a flat amount of accessories and also gear unless you specifically arranged for coverage of everything.

The good news...

Since the other person is at fault, none of that applies--their insurance will have to cover everything.

Have the bike taken to a Ducati shop and have them estimate the retail (not book) value of the bike and separately, every accessory and piece of gear and clothing you were wearing. I would also send a list to other dealers for estimates if possible. Then do your own market research as well. Look online for comparable current or recent listings which you can show the insurance company if they try to lowball you (anything less than one of the average or reasonable estimates or comps you obtain).

Now, part of them covering "everything" is your medical and rehab treatment AND pain and suffering. I seem to recall that last part as typically triple the medical costs., but do some research.

I would prepare all this information as quickly as possible and do not settle immediately if you get any signs they are f-ing you. Let then make the first offer, but come back to them with a COMPLETE, but fair and reasonable number on what you want. If they do not agree to it tell them from that point all dealings will be through your attorney and find a good one. (You could start with a lawyer immediately, but if you aren't going to be permanently disabled or in pain I would try to handle it myself.)

If possible, see if you can buy the bike back at the end (likely less than $1k). Part it out.

Reactions: piercems3

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have no idea about the insurance part but that is an absolutely gorgeous bike. I’m sad to see it tore up like that, can’t imagine how you feel. Every time I ride I wish I had a place to go and keep my bike off the road. Somewhere to just ride like a track but not at track pace. 50-80 mph just cruising.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would definitely suspect a total loss on this one. Glad you are okay and I'm sure if the accident is in your favor the bike can be replaced to the same or better.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The other person's insurance accepted 100% liability, and it is a total loss. Now I am waiting for their "first offer" for replacement. I can still hardly walk, my left leg is purple from my hip to my ankle so I guess I have a few weeks before I need a replacement.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have no idea about the insurance part but that is an absolutely gorgeous bike. I’m sad to see it tore up like that, can’t imagine how you feel. Every time I ride I wish I had a place to go and keep my bike off the road. Somewhere to just ride like a track but not at track pace. 50-80 mph just cruising.
Thanks, I really appreciate it. I spent all winter long making it as close to perfect as I could. I even went to the trouble of installing SPS cams, and really spared no expense in making it my favorite version of the 996. It's sad seeing it sit smashed up in my garage.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Thanks, I really appreciate it. I spent all winter long making it as close to perfect as I could. I even went to the trouble of installing SPS cams, and really spared no expense in making it my favorite version of the 996. It's sad seeing it sit smashed up in my garage.
I would view it as an opportunity to make it better than it was,a chance to advance a level in performance or eye appeal if you can buy it back.one thing to take on the healing-the older in age the longer it takes.good to hear you survived.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It is amazing people can't see bright yellow motorcycles.
Glad you had your gear on. Makes you wonder why people ride around with a $600 helmet wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Look at a "Cold Therapy" unit on eBay if you are still sore. They help a lot on the swelling and stiffness and is much better than leaking ice bags.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts