Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the shop wired a 10-12g red wire to the positive on the battery and wired it under the seat so for winter storage I wouldn't have to access the battery. Would I then just hook the red wire from the BTJr to that (which they put a female butt connector on) and the black from the BTJr to the frame of the bike...or does the black need to get to the negative on the battery?

Thanks-

Mat

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
09 Monster 1100....

·
Registered
42 Posts
So the shop wired a 10-12g red wire to the positive on the battery and wired it under the seat so for winter storage I wouldn't have to access the battery. Would I then just hook the red wire from the BTJr to that (which they put a female butt connector on) and the black from the BTJr to the frame of the bike...or does the black need to get to the negative on the battery?

Thanks-

Mat
Huh? The 09 Monster should have come with external battery leads that connect direct to the BT Jr. But in any case, the BT needs to be conected to the positive and negative terminals of the battery to work properly. Connecting the negative to an infinite ground (the frame) will not allow the internal metering of the BT to regulate the charging correctly. But before you take my word for it, go back to the shop and ask them how the heck they wired the thing.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well...I called them and they told me to connect the red wire from the BTJr to the red lead they installed...and then ground the black from the BTJr. What you say makes sense. What they said didn't...that's why I'm asking here. They're a 3 hour drive from me...and it's winter so not a nice cruise on the bike.

Where are these external battery leads? Under my seat is the single red wire marked + they put in...and then a capped female 4-blade yellow plug...which I assume is for the computer.

Thanks-

Mat

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mat,
Oh yeah. You all have the winter thing up there.

On my 09 Monster 1100, on the left side of the bike, directly under the gas tank, there is a two prong (male / female type) plug, that extends out (maybe about 4 inches of cable). This will plug directly to the BT with no mods needed, and no reason to remove the seat to get to the cable. All the new bikes I looked at before I bought the 1100 had the same type setup, so I thought this was a standard thing (includes my wife's new 09 Harley). Don't play with the 4-blade yellow plug.

jim

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope. Nothing. I'll call some of the larger dealers around the West Coast tomorrow and see if 'everyone' install what you have...ie: should it be expected on a new set-up.

If so, I'll ask the dealer in ANC what's up....

Thanks-

Mat

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate the help Jim.

I had a harness with my Battery Tender. I took things apart this weekend and got it hooked up.... Would've been nice if dealer had done it upon set-up but oh well....

Mat

·
Registered
42 Posts
At least you know it's hooked up correctly now! I also checked with one of the electrical engineers (and bike nut) that works for me and he confirmed I gave the right info.
jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts