Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Homemade case saver

Went to Home Depot couple weeks ago and wandered through the deck building section looking for a cheap chain case-saver option. I figured I'd just buy one from DT if I couldn't find something. I bought one of these: Simpson Strong Tie ST6224 2-1/16" x 23-5/16" Strap Tie 16 gauge galvanized steel, it's the thickest strap that I felt I could bend to the right shape. The next thickest would have been a real bitch to work with. It was around $3, and you could make 2 or 3 savers out of one strap. I made a practice one, then the next came out great.
Basically you cut lengthwise down one side cutting all the tabs with holes in them, then the other side cut off all the tabs except for the two that match the holes for the sprocket cover bolts. Bend into a curve, fit it and bend the remaining 2 tabs flat where the bolts hold the cover on, and drill holes for the bolts. It may not be as pretty as the DT saver, but who cares - you can't see it with the cover on.
I should have taken pics as I went and done a nice how-to, but to be honest the entire project took less than 1/2 hour, and that included making the practice one. It's super easy and super cheap.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It would be nice, if You have somekind "drawing" about piece how to cut it before making bents, holes, etc... I have thinked many times to make such case savers for my Ducati's but seems, that i dont have time enough to play ... Anyway if You have some drawing about plate i am very intrested, as for me that drawing (or mesurements are worst). Rest i can do very easily ;-))

[email protected]

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks, ill make few such to my bikes... If have done one with measurements, then its easy to make more of them. Such stainless steel is easy to find...

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Thanks , now that's what I'm talking about ! Looks aren't everything. Considering the cost, it's a thing of beauty.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
I'm amazed someone can see a part and then actually make one.
I'd hate to see what mine looked like when I got through. Not even counting the expense of 3 or 4 trips to the store or multiple pieces necessary. And don't even ask me about fixing the walls in my garage once I got through. Then there would be the expense of redrilling and tapping the new holes in the case....
I saved a ton just buying the damned thing from LT.

·
Registered
64 Posts
nice work

That is a good idea. I have been working on one mysellf and have made a pattern from aluminum strip stock.

It took a bit of snipping and forming to get it to fit. I was going to hammer it flat then transfer the profile to a stainless steel strip but now that I see what you have accomplished I will use this material.

Thank you for sharing your work. I always prefer to try to make something myself even though it takes more effort and it may not be a work of art, it is out of sight, its a win in my book.

Good work ericrichard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts