Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever removed that wobble washe behind the bolts on the brake rotors? Removing that washer creates a full floater. Just curious if anyones found a down side to doing this?

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Typically the "buttons" that hold the rotor to the carrier where those wobble (wave) washers are sandwiched are riveted. You can buy kits that replace the rivets with buttons that use c-clips making them full floaters from the semi-floaters that came with the bike. STM and others make full floating rotor button kit

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=26717

http://www.tpoparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=98
understood, but Multis don't have buttons in the traditional sense cause the rotor bolts directly to the wheel...no carrier. Those kits don't apply.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
oops :( I forgot about that on the Multi...I was out looking at my Hyper before I wrote that.

I probably wouldn't try it. If I really wanted full floaters (and better brakes) on a Multi I would get Brake Tech Axis rotors which use carriers.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ummm, once again, no they don't. Even the Aftermarket rotors for the Multi (even full floaters/the ones I have looked at) don't have carriers.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
been a while since I talked to a Galfer rep. at that time, no carrier. while I couldn't get the braketech site to open, the other links obviously showed discs that were not for a multi. notice the line that says image may vary from actual product. the text did say that they had a carrier however. too bad they don't have the actual product to show on thier web site

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, those are cool...and new to me. hadn't seen those, so thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FYI update for anyone following this thread...300 miles with the washers removed and no I'll effects. I'll even say it made zero feel difference one way or the other in the seat of the pants brake dyno. I'll leave it as is for now. Not gonna take it back apart just to reinstall those washers for no reason. I would argue there must be some gain (cooling, etc) with full floaters. Why else would every other performance disc be built that way.

As a side note, I got the idea to remove them trying to fix a pretty annoying brake shudder on the front. I'd never heard of this arond here. Some research ofer on multistrada.net revealed this is a pretty common problem on the bike. My efforts failed to cure my shudder and research seems to indicate new aftermarket rotors are the best, permanent solution. Anyone else facing this?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
on some multi's there was a recall on the banjo fitting due to the size of the hole. I didn't have any shudder with my bike, but it was replaced by the folks at Modesto free. I didn't notice any difference, but then the brakes worked fine before. I don't remember what years were affected

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
Alth

You will like these ALTH rotors (made in Italy). They are built slightly thicker to prevent warping and shuddering. Plus they look good too.

Attachments

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
As a side note, I got the idea to remove them trying to fix a pretty annoying brake shudder on the front. I'd never heard of this arond here. Some research ofer on multistrada.net revealed this is a pretty common problem on the bike. My efforts failed to cure my shudder and research seems to indicate new aftermarket rotors are the best, permanent solution. Anyone else facing this?
It's been mentioned here but not to the extent on multistrada.net. I had it on my `04, it was minor but annoying. It was the reason I was looking for full floaters, by the time they came out I decided to the sell it. I had the banjo bolt changed, all it did was move it to lower speed.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=5113&highlight=shudder

1 - 14 of 14 Posts