Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this June, I'm going on my first motorcycle holiday. Hopefully it'll be on a newly acquired Streetfighter I'm starting from the Germantown, MD. area and heading to the tail of the dragon through VA. The two ways I was thinking was west and then southwest down the Blue Ridge Parkway, or down the coast to VA beach, then to Charlotte and into TN.

So: places to stop by, roads to ride or avoid, places to stop or eat, etc.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Might be able to help in May as I’m shipping my 999R to Robbinsville NC and spending a week in the area riding as many roads as physically possible. According to my hosts, the “Tail of the Dragon”, although famouse for many reasons, isn’t as good as many others in the area.

Here’s an interesting feature to ponder:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Caution is certainly required but it's such a famous piece of road you need to at least see it if nearby. But don't think you'll conquer it any easier than you can master the Isle of Mann. Try to ride it during the middle of the week. If you are there in June and the weather is nice the weekend will be packed with testosterone poisoning. I still go up there but not to ride it....the store and restaurant are a good place to hang and watch the show. Just be careful....ride like you have a brain and you'll enjoy it. And as others have said, that tri-state area of NC, TN and GA has abundant great roads. 28 leading up to the Dragon is just a sample.
Good news is that 18 wheelers are banned, but then some may not get the word, and if you meet one in the middle of a turn there is no place to go but the ditch or the forest.

The BRP is a great way to travel but it has a 45mph speed limit and is enforced pretty good. And Virginia has a no radar detector law. Skyline Drive, just north of the BRP has a 35mph limit and a toll. I stay off of it....it's for family's in vans looking for a place to pull over so that junior can pee.

Nearby the Dragon is the Cherohala. Goes from Robbinsville to Tellico Plains, TN and is one fine piece of road. Ride the Ocoee river gorge. Take the road to Reliance from the north side of it. Get off the beaten path. If all the popular roads have traffic, turn off and go another way. Hard to find a bad road up here.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might be able to help in May as I’m shipping my 999R to Robbinsville NC and spending a week in the area riding as many roads as physically possible. According to my hosts, the “Tail of the Dragon”, although famouse for many reasons, isn’t as good as many others in the area.
Yeah, I'm well aware of the dangers. Riding isn't without it's own set of inherent risks.

That said, it's just supposed to be a nice leisurely road trip to see some beautiful land, ride some great roads, and enjoy not being in the army for a few days.

Caution is certainly required but it's such a famous piece of road you need to at least see it if nearby. But don't think you'll conquer it any easier than you can master the Isle of Mann. Try to ride it during the middle of the week. If you are there in June and the weather is nice the weekend will be packed with testosterone poisoning. I still go up there but not to ride it....the store and restaurant are a good place to hang and watch the show. Just be careful....ride like you have a brain and you'll enjoy it. And as others have said, that tri-state area of NC, TN and GA has abundant great roads. 28 leading up to the Dragon is just a sample.
Good news is that 18 wheelers are banned, but then some may not get the word, and if you meet one in the middle of a turn there is no place to go but the ditch or the forest.

The BRP is a great way to travel but it has a 45mph speed limit and is enforced pretty good. And Virginia has a no radar detector law. Skyline Drive, just north of the BRP has a 35mph limit and a toll. I stay off of it....it's for family's in vans looking for a place to pull over so that junior can pee.

Nearby the Dragon is the Cherohala. Goes from Robbinsville to Tellico Plains, TN and is one fine piece of road. Ride the Ocoee river gorge. Take the road to Reliance from the north side of it. Get off the beaten path. If all the popular roads have traffic, turn off and go another way. Hard to find a bad road up here.

Enjoy.
Excellent advice all around and I will defensively take under advisement.

My understanding of that is to go down the coast to VA beach and VIR on the way there and then follow the Appalachians on the way back when I'm on my way home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts