Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Holidays everyone!

So I have a great solution for you. It is FAST and it is cheap. Run to home depot (or whatever equivalent thing you have), go straight to the plumbing section... ask for 1" pipe and have them thread everything for you!

Make sure to wash the pipes and clean them at home when you actually buy it - they are messy from the oil the place will use to cut and thread them.

Whole thing ran me $29.00, and it is great. Just hang the bike by the frame or the upper triple.

Now you have a way to completely service the front end of your bike without having the trouble of getting a frame lift (that may or may not block the axle). Just remember how much fun it was to play with blocks when we were all kids... we relive those days again - with you own bike jig.

let me know how this turns out!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Very nice Rapter, I think I may take it a step beyond by making a cage and bolting it to my lift so I can strap it at any point.

·
Registered
474 Posts
What was the length of your top bar? Any issues with bending or bowing at the top or sides when under load?

Looks like a good solution, nice work!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would like to suggest a strut at the base to avoid the risk of the frame spreading eagle. Also if the load is not concentric you may get a some sway.

just a suggestion for added security.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What was the length of your top bar? Any issues with bending or bowing at the top or sides when under load?

Looks like a good solution, nice work!
The top bar is about 34 inches, I can get the real measurement in the new year. When the bike hangs from it, there is only a slight bow in the bars, and this is really minor - after all it is like 500 lbs hanging off of it.

I would really spend some money on the cranks ties so that it is held securely.

THERE IS SOMETHING ELSE. when I hang the bike I always use a safety... which is comprised of some VERY high strength climbing straps and a d-ring carabiniere.

Click both of these links to know what I am talking about

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441772931&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302690751&bmUID=1198766045428

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442620371&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302691525&bmUID=1198766141492

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to suggest a strut at the base to avoid the risk of the frame spreading eagle. Also if the load is not concentric you may get a some sway.

just a suggestion for added security.
+1 Dude, when you hang anything like this it is key that the load is centered on the cross beam otherwise when you lift the bike it will sway either into you, away from you, or cause the thing to wobble.

However, when you do see the 1" tubing you will see that it is not very flexible and in fact exhibits a great deal of strength.

As for the "spread eagle" I have not thought about this, it certainly would not hurt to put some "webbing" (the blue and green straps) at the bottom to act as a lower strut incase the legs decide to spread away from each other. Generally speaking, the weight is so great that it grounds the legs really firmly into the ground.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice Rapter, I think I may take it a step beyond by making a cage and bolting it to my lift so I can strap it at any point.
Hey, that is a great idea, just know that if you permanently put something on your lift it will mean that there is going to be four posts or two post in the way of whatever it is you are going to be doing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts