·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hodgson, Mladin In Barber Pits Fracas
started on the track, ended in the pits
by evan williams
Saturday, April 22, 2006

The fireworks started with just a few minutes to go in Superbike qualifying. Mat Mladin had his GSX-R1000 on a fast lap, but came up on Ducati's Neil Hodgson at the end of the lap. Mladin eventually came by, by gave Hodgson a hand gesture and the two traded positions and disapproving motions as they rode through the pits. Mat stopped in his pit area, but Hodgson took back to the track.

"There's not really much to say," said Mladin. "In the last ten minutes of a Superbike session, people need to look over their shoulders. Coming into the pits ... it's amazing to me that a guy that's come from Europe and been a World Champion hasn't got it figured out," Mladin said. Mat felt since he couldn't even see Hodgson at the start finish line as the lap began, Neil's pace could be categorized as "cruising".

Mladin added: "Because I waved, he got a bit funny about it and tried to run me into the fence on the way into the pits ... and all the rest of it. I don't know if it's normal to mess people's fast laps up and then expect nobody to say anything, but unfortunately over here that's not the way it works."
Neil's response? "I was on a fast lap, and I aborted it. I wasn't riding around really slow and I wasn't sure if I was even coming into the pits," said Hodgson from the Parts Unlimited Ducati truck. "He came past me and started waving his hand all crazy like he's done three or four times before."

It wasn't over. After the session, Mladin came down to the Ducati pits. Observers say Hodgson got out of his chair, shoved Mladin, and gave him a few choice phrases. The witnesses we talked to say Mladin was the fairly calm one through it all.

It is also said that someone photgraphed the whole thing.

"He came over trying to tell me the rules and I find that quite insulting," said Hodgson. "I've been racing a lot of years. I'm not going to have anybody tell me what the rules are or what should be done. You've got to have mutual respect out there (for other riders) and I have, all my career."
Mladin said he was more worried about Spies than Hodgson. "Hodgson's sort of in another race," he said.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The quote" Hodgsons in sort of in another race" is kind of away of slapping another racer in the face without doing so. I hope Neil and Ben and AMA Ducati gets some fire lit underneath them.

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
roadrash194 said:
The quote" Hodgsons in sort of in another race" is kind of away of slapping another racer in the face without doing so. I hope Neil and Ben and AMA Ducati gets some fire lit underneath them.
Damn, me too. But the way their bikes are set up compared to WSBK or even BSBK, it ain't gonna happen. Unless Ducati sees AMA as more of a priority, both riders are going to be struggling the rest of the year. I think the Suzukis have at least 20HP on the Ducatis, the tracks aren't the best for Ducati and so on. I feel bad for Hodgson, this was supposed to be a better year for him. Bostrom has been on a slippery slope, he should concentrate on Motard racing. Hell, give Hodgson a Ducati F05, the hand me down Xaus is riding. I heard back and forth about the legality of the traction management system Ducati employs in WSBK. That its not legal in AMA yet Suzuki has found a clever way around it with fuel management. Any word on that?

Its pretty damn frustrating to see Ducati not doing well against the arrogant likes of Mladin and stupid antics by Yates. The only way to shut them all up is to win, thats the bottom line.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
John said:
...But the way their bikes are set up compared to WSBK or even BSBK, it ain't gonna happen.... I think the Suzukis have at least 20HP on the Ducatis...

Its pretty damn frustrating to see Ducati not doing well against the arrogant likes of Mladin and stupid antics by Yates. The only way to shut them all up is to win, thats the bottom line.

According to Hodgson's mechanics, the WSBK and AMA bikes are identical, except for perhap the TCS in SBK. 999F05 put out roughly 190hp comapred to nearly 220hp on the Suzukis

Yes it is damned frustrating!

P.S. sorry for threadjacking :eek:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bella749 said:
According to Hodgson's mechanics, the WSBK and AMA bikes are identical, except for perhap the TCS in SBK. 999F05 put out roughly 190hp comapred to nearly 220hp on the Suzukis

Yes it is damned frustrating!

P.S. sorry for threadjacking :eek:
I also have heard that both the Suzukis and Hondas are using TCS from their WSBK efforts which is illegal in the AMA (as of yet) but has not been contested as of yet, because everyone is cheating to some degree (glass house rule) but Ducati USA aren't going to use their WSBK set up because of possible challenges and controversy's until the AMA sees the light.

I was told by freinds at the Barber event that you could hear the Suzukis as they climbed the hill from T2, under full accelleration with no tire spin ...... hummm

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
It's either the American tracks aren't good for Ducatis or simply the Suzuki guys are better riders. Wy do I say this? Troy Bayliss is having no problems beating Suzuki. Even though he has a slower bike. As the movies Faster says it's 80% rider. Mladin and Spies are the class of AMA.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Traction control...you bet.

"I was told by friends at the Barber event that you could hear the Suzukis as they climbed the hill from T2, under full acceleration with no tire spin ...... hummm"

I'll confirm the rumors about TCS in AMA. All 3 factory Suzuki Superbikes could clearly be heard with TCS in T4 at Cal Speedway (I was Turn Captain at T3). I spoke to a friend on "the inside" about it after the race. He said all the factory teams have some sort of TCS in place...kind of an open secret amongst the teams. According to him, the Suzukis system is less sophisticated and can be heard quite obviously. With the new R6 having an electric throttle control it's even easier for Yamaha now. All this has been going on for years....starting launch control now too.

Bimota Bruce

·
Registered
442 Posts
Personally I've had my fill of Mladin. I realise that he is doing a good job with his riding, but he has a bad personality. He is always looking for somebody to criticize or bully around. He definitely has been enjoying a equipment advantage. I clearly remember when he was strugeling with the 750 that he was doing a lot of whining and bitching but now when a competitor mentions equipment Mladin singles them out as whiners! He is not a good ambassador for the sport and I look forward to when others out pace him on a regular basis- then you will hear lots of whining!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mladin - "whiner"

"Personally I've had my fill of Mladin. I realise that he is doing a good job with his riding, but he has a bad personality."

Amen to that -

And, it's only going to get worse if Ben Spies continues to kick his ass !!!

Right now Matt is controling his "post race" interviews, but if Ben continues to beat him, Mladin will start "jabbing" at his own teamate.

E

·
Registered
311 Posts
MWDUC said:
"Personally I've had my fill of Mladin. I realise that he is doing a good job with his riding, but he has a bad personality."

Amen to that -

And, it's only going to get worse if Ben Spies continues to kick his ass !!!

Right now Matt is controling his "post race" interviews, but if Ben continues to beat him, Mladin will start "jabbing" at his own teamate.

E
Soooo....just out of curiosity....do you (anyone) think Spies is coming up to speed without the help of Mladin? Personally, I seriously doubt it. The feeling I get is that Mladin is looking for the next young kid to ride for his team once he retires (which hopefully will be sooner than later).

·
Banned
344 Posts
I'm not certain but I think Kevin Schwantz is helping the Suzuki team. I read an article where he talked about working with Spies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts