Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Borders on fraud if you ask me. Not even mentioned in the listing. Shame.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Original condition my ass....:eek:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Fitting a yellow spring to the rear shock and then winding the preload out to disguise the black thread underneath - a cunning plan!
But shouldn't he have covered the forks with some of that sheet decal material - in metalic gold - or would that be dishonest?
I wonder if he left the dry clutch in it?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
This Paul Smart is Made In China.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Meh, replacing the Ohlins will only cost 3-4000 dollars. What's the problem?

Just kidding

·
Registered
204 Posts
maybe this bike was crashed and re built with cheaper parts? not cool. whoever ends up with this bike will be one disappointed rider once they realize what they didn't get. yikes.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
It would have to be crashed pretty bad to affect the forks and the shock. With 444 miles? My guess is that the Ohlins suspension was removed and sold before he bought it or that it was going to be a "display bike" and the owner decided that big bucks could be made by trading out the Ohlins to someone.

On the other hand, I saw the pre-release brochure on the PS and it did not have Ohlins and showed a blue frame, not sea green. Maybe he was trying to duplicate that.

Doubt it. My guess is somebody made a fast buck.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Borders on fraud if you ask me. Not even mentioned in the listing. Shame.
It is. The seller mentions the bike in stock form, it clearly is not. Someone should flag it on eBay.

Someone along the way probably traded the Öhlins parts for extra cash and thought no one would notice.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i guess all this talk got to the seller, this has been added to the add today:

"On Oct-05-12 at 08:20:11 PDT, seller added the following information:
In the section related to the condition of the motorcycle, I am referring to the actual "original condition" of the bike, meaning the physical condition not the actual specs on the bike. I am in no way trying to make a representation that depicts the factory specs of this bike, just the actual overall condition. Thanks! "

·
Motorbike Junky
654 Posts
I sent him a message and reported it... I'm sure others did too! :D

Glad to see he's changed it!

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I hate to sound like a kill-joy, but someone should report this item, or some other sucker is gonna end up buying a bike that is not what it pretends to be. I would even do it myself, but as a UK user I can't get a US log in.

[edit] looks like you beat me to it before i pressed Reply.

·
Motorbike Junky
654 Posts
I would even do it myself, but as a UK user I can't get a US log in.
You should be able to use your UK log-in for all eBay sites. I use my US one on eBay.co.uk, eBay.it and eBay.com.au all the time to buy stuff.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Definitely a switcheroo somewhere along the line. Would love to know what happened. I mean would a PS owner really sell off the Ohlins to make money as they were expensive bikes to begin with when released or they were swapped without the owner noticing? Wheres that Sherlock guy when you need him?

·
Motorbike Junky
654 Posts
Here's the reply he sent me...

"Hello, thank you for your interest in the Paul Smart. This is how the bike came when I purchased it. If it is different than its original spec, it will be accounted for in the final selling price. As far as the "original condition" statement goes, that was in reference to the actual condition of the motorcycle and not the specs. I made a disclosure to that point on the auction this morning. If you have a bid in and would like to retract it, that would be fine. All in all, I have made no intention of defrauding a Buyer as I don?t even know what the difference is between the suspension and at the end of the day, the price will justify the specs of the bike as it stands. Thanks for your interest"

·
Registered
285 Posts
Does one owner not mean just that?

He says it's a one owner bike, so in my book he bought it from a Ducati dealership new and he's now selling it. So either he bought it new or the guy who's listed it is selling it for the guy that bought it new (if he is the dealer that is displaying it.) So one of these guys (if there are two) knows where the Ohlins suspension went, or maybe it was down to the dealer that sold it new!
No amount of "in this condition" will cover the fact that either he was scammmed or he was passing the scam on, knowingly or unknowingly.

·
Motorbike Junky
654 Posts
He was being facetious, just saying that everything is not as it should be... Somebody's scamming someone in this situation!

·
Registered
119 Posts
dosent his add say...

Here's the reply he sent me...

"Hello, thank you for your interest in the Paul Smart. This is how the bike came when I purchased it. If it is different than its original spec, it will be accounted for in the final selling price. As far as the "original condition" statement goes, that was in reference to the actual condition of the motorcycle and not the specs. I made a disclosure to that point on the auction this morning. If you have a bid in and would like to retract it, that would be fine. All in all, I have made no intention of defrauding a Buyer as I don?t even know what the difference is between the suspension and at the end of the day, the price will justify the specs of the bike as it stands. Thanks for your interest"
also if you notice its sitting in what looks like a Ducati dealership... is he the owner of the dealership? he HAS to know that is not "stock"...

OK, im slow... he's just showing it in the dealership... but he still has to know that he's really playing with his words trying to snowball someone...

i just wish i was the guy that was ale to talk him out of the org forks...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts