Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I know this topic has been brought up previously, but I haven't quite got a firm solution, and they're all quite old.

I recently bought a Hyper 1100 Evo and it's absolutely brilliant, love everything about it...except the front brake feel! Don't get me wrong, they work very well, but they feel extremely blunt and don't communicate at all compared with my 748SP or RSV4. I'd describe them as wooden.

There's none of the other issues people complain about, it all works as it should, it just doesn't provide enough feedback.

From what I've read on here the suggested solution is perhaps an RCS19 Master Cylinder. Has anyone got one on a regular Hyper 1100/1100 Evo, and are they happy with the change it made?

Cheers, Dane.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Compared to a 748, your Hyper has a quite firmer lever feel. Changing from a 18 mm to a 19 mm master cylinder will make your lever feel even more firmer/wooden, so you'd be changing size in the wrong direction.

(The hyper's piston/MC area ratio is actually preferred by most riders. The 748's feel is quite soft).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Compared to a 748, your Hyper has a quite firmer lever feel. Changing from a 18 mm to a 19 mm master cylinder will make your lever feel even more firmer/wooden, so you'd be changing size in the wrong direction.

(The hyper's piston/MC area ratio is actually preferred by most riders. The 748's feel is quite soft).
Thanks mate.

It's not necessarily the firmness that I don't care for, it's the lack of information it provides when being squeezed a little harder. It feels as though the brakes don't have a heap of initial bite, then you squeeze more to achieve more braking force, but the feedback then disappears if that makes sense?

So the standard MC is 18mm? In that case, would I be better moving down a size?

FYI: The brakes on my 2012 RSV4, which utilises M4's and an 18mm Master with a 19mm pivot, are just about perfect for me.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Well, what pads are on it? You say the brakes work very well. A softer pad will compress and uncompress more, keeping some action going as you modulate the lever. A hard pad will narrow the lever range down significantly. Maybe that's what you are experiencing. This can feel as though the brakes are not as capable. There are a few variables that affect feel including the compound and the temperature of the pads and the resistance to swelling in the flexible brake lines. A smaller bore size will increase the mechanical advantage of the lever and increase the lever movement range in operation.

·
Registered
854 Posts
So the standard MC is 18mm? In that case, would I be better moving down a size?

FYI: The brakes on my 2012 RSV4, which utilises M4's and an 18mm Master with a 19mm pivot, are just about perfect for me.
A Brembo 17RCS master cylinder used on a Hyper 1100 EVO will give the same piston/MC area ratio (28) as the OEM PR18/19 gives on a Aprilia RSV4 — which will give you the same modulation characteristics at the lever. The two bikes have different rotor diameters and calipers, so the braking effectiveness on the RSV4 will, of course, be better than on the EVO.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A Brembo 17RCS master cylinder used on a Hyper 1100 EVO will give the same piston/MC area ratio (28) as the OEM PR18/19 gives on a Aprilia RSV4 — which will give you the same modulation characteristics at the lever. The two bikes have different rotor diameters and calipers, so the braking effectiveness on the RSV4 will, of course, be better than on the EVO.
Magic, thanks for that mate! Very much so appreciated. Seems like the first port of call may be achieving the same balance that the RSV4 has, and then working on pads from there.

Well, what pads are on it? You say the brakes work very well. A softer pad will compress and uncompress more, keeping some action going as you modulate the lever. A hard pad will narrow the lever range down significantly. Maybe that's what you are experiencing. This can feel as though the brakes are not as capable. There are a few variables that affect feel including the compound and the temperature of the pads and the resistance to swelling in the flexible brake lines. A smaller bore size will increase the mechanical advantage of the lever and increase the lever movement range in operation.
I'm not sure actually. The bike is new to me, and I've only put around 1000km's and two trips to the twisties on it thus far. I'm going to assume they're the same as stock though for the moment as the bike had 9k kms on it and judging by the tyre wear has not seen the track at all.

I know a few others have experienced the same issues as I have, particularly in this thread hence why I think it's either a standard pad issue, or an MC issue:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/92-hypermotard/36027-hm-front-brake-survey.html#post344912
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/92-hypermotard/36027-hm-front-brake-survey.html#post345068

1 - 6 of 6 Posts