Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I looked at the Zard exhaust and decided I didn't like the looks. Decided to buy a 54mm Termignoni that ended up being a 57mm when it was delivered!!! My gain I suppose... After much debate both internal and with the folks that sold me the exhaust I have decided to keep the 57mm, and now I have to install it.

The instructions are, ahem, not exactly finely detailed so I am hoping for a little advice.

I'm not sure how to install the new spacers/new brackets for the lower fairing supports - both left and right side.

The instructions talk of spacers for the rear master cylinder - are they simply a couple of the metal washers?

Are the fiber washers for the wiring 'tube' the 3 thick ones?

Where does the one short spring go?

From what I can tell from the diagrams the straighter manifold is for the horizontal cylinder - yes?

Any advice, any pictures would be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
RobertVP said:
Well, I looked at the Zard exhaust and decided I didn't like the looks. Decided to buy a 54mm Termignoni that ended up being a 57mm when it was delivered!!! My gain I suppose... After much debate both internal and with the folks that sold me the exhaust I have decided to keep the 57mm, and now I have to install it.

The instructions are, ahem, not exactly finely detailed so I am hoping for a little advice.

I'm not sure how to install the new spacers/new brackets for the lower fairing supports - both left and right side.

The instructions talk of spacers for the rear master cylinder - are they simply a couple of the metal washers?

Are the fiber washers for the wiring 'tube' the 3 thick ones?

Where does the one short spring go?

From what I can tell from the diagrams the straighter manifold is for the horizontal cylinder - yes?

Any advice, any pictures would be very much appreciated!
I would take it to someone who knows how to mount it properly, especially since it's a 57mm and that it will melt your fairings if the job is not properly done.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Termi Exhaust

A couple of years ago I installed a 54 mm system on a 999S and must say I agree with your comments on the lack of clarity in the instructions. I just ended up diving into the project and got it done with the help of a friend. It did take around 6+ hours of trial and error, and was not the easyiest of jobs. The hardest part as I recall was figuring out how to jam or seat all of the pipe fittings and keep the gaskets from getting damaged. Brute force won out in the end. I also didn't have a clue where the CPU unit resided but eventually found it hidden behind the battery. Again, that wasn't the easyiest thing to get at and change, but perservirence will pay out.

Last year I got a 999R and ordered a 57 mm Termi which I had the shop put on, so I can't offer any assistance in your installation. I will tell you that my right side lower fairing is starting to burn the paint. I went back to the shop and they spaced the fairing as far away from the pipe as they could. I have a replacement fairing part from Ducati and will protect it by installing some aluminum heat shealding and putting as big a space between the fairing/ heat shield and pipe as possible.

Good luck. If you are mechanically inclined, I would just dig into it if you want to save money on the installation but allow plenty of time to get it done. The high flow air cleaners are an easy install and pretty straight forward. I would also recommend using good tools as many of the bolts, nuts and screws are attached relativly tight.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
The fairings are the only challenge on the install. Everything else is pretty straight forward.

Make a "stand-off" that pushes the fairing away from the pipe. The hardware stores sell little rubber stopper. Build a little bracket to hold the stopper. You can use a hose clamp to hold it on to the pipe
Get some Thermotec heat wrap to put around the pipe and some Thermotec foil to put on the left side fairing.

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
Have the shop do it. Just got 57mm Termi system installed this week. I think I paid about $350.00 to have it done...Well worth it. My guys here in Santa Rosa, CA at Motomechanica are awesome.
The bike is what it should be, absolutely awesome. Hopefully the local PD doesn't think it's a bit too awesome!!!
Good luck!
B

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Here's some photo's of some of the brackets & stuff. This is a 54mm system on my 749 but I'm assuming it's going to be close enough to give you the idea. Funny you guys say the instructions were "less than clear"...mine came with NONE...ZILCH. But, in the end, I thought it was a simple straight foward job. The hardest part was the brackets not the exhaust for me. Mine fit like a champ. No wrestling with the system at any point. Good luck. I have more if this doesn't help. Just let me know what you are looking for.

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10205&page=2&pp=10

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.